The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Roger's Large Scale RAAF/RAN Research thread

Artful69

59 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

So there are a couple different factors. First of all the front cockpits are nearly the same on all models. What you would need to address here is whether or not the bird you are depicting is before or after the upgrade they received in 1991 from F/A-18A/B to the A+ and B+ models. The main difference here is the earlier IP's had analog fuel monitors instead of glass ones. This panel is in the lower left hand corner. I imagine the C and D kit have these included. Early F/A-18D models had the same IP in the back as the B as they were all built as trainers originally. Redesigned panels for the D began with Lot 12 163986.

Smitty ...

You, Sir ... are a champion!! :D

I think I get all of that! ... even though you've given me the simple version!

To clarify ... I just ordered the D (Bats) kit from Sprue brothers ... along with some GT intakes (and some for my other A, F and G kits).

I also ordered some Decals off e-Bay as below:

Mx593Co.png

sh1SPW6.png

Of the F/A-18B's ... I'm looking to do the top one - 3rd Sqn. Darwin, March, 1988 ... 

So from your notes - I'm looking at the early (pre upgrade) version with analogue IP's? ... Front and rear should be basically the same as they are a trainer format ... and these IP's Should be included in the box? ... So the Avionics 'B' cockpit and tails is probably preferred but not necessary?

Rog :)

• Like 4

Correct, early B. I was looking at sprue shots and it looked like it might be in there. I was looking at sprue shots and it looked like there were two sets of two IP's. It has been a while since I built a D and don't have one in the closet to look, I always prefer resin upgrades, but that is just me.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

Correct, early B. I was looking at sprue shots and it looked like it might be in there. I was looking at sprue shots and it looked like there were two sets of two IP's. It has been a while since I built a D and don't have one in the closet to look, I always prefer resin upgrades, but that is just me.

Ok ... Just to be safe I might pull the trigger on the Avionix set ... unless Wolfpack do one ... having an extra set of vertical stabilisers never did anyone any harm I suppose!! ... question IS though, which IPs does the resin kit have?? :popcorn:  ...

Thanks for your input again mate!

• Like 4

A slight detour...

Smitty, do we have a definitive time frame for the addition of the LEX strakes on the Legacy Hornets? 

This photo of A21-108 is unfortunately not dated, but is possibly from Darwin from the look of the shelter.

AC_3A21_108.jpg

I recall doing a walk-around on an A airframe at Rockhampton airport in 1989; this was straight after Exercise Kangaroo '89 over Shoalwater and that bird definitely had the strakes fitted. 

Just for asking's sake?

S

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Wumm said:

A slight detour...

Smitty, do we have a definitive time frame for the addition of the LEX strakes on the Legacy Hornets? 

This photo of A21-108 is unfortunately not dated, but is possibly from Darwin from the look of the shelter.

AC_3A21_108.jpg

I recall doing a walk-around on an A airframe at Rockhampton airport in 1989; this was straight after Exercise Kangaroo '89 over Shoalwater and that bird definitely had the strakes fitted. 

Just for asking's sake?

S

Very early on, mid 80's. Also notice Aussie Hornets don't have the launch bar on the front of the  nose gear.

• Like 5

Thanks John.

Correct about the launch bar,

However a dummy weight was subsequently added, as the lighter nose gear was creating nose wheel shimmy apparently. I must dig those photos out (this one not mine).

Hornet_A21-10_28_med.jpg

S

• Like 5

7 hours ago, smitty44 said:

Remember the early D cockpits were the same as B's. So just pop them off the sprue and check it out, Here is a shot of a Canadian B. Look a lot like the IP on top in that sprue pic

2273176900_ba678423e2.jpg

Yeah ... thats what I was thinking while looking at them ... I've had other input that says the front IP was the same B to D ... but that the rear was completely different - early or late ... Meh! ... As long as the layout is vaguely familiar ... in '32 scale? ... She'll be right - Mate! ...

I decided to wait until the kit actually arrives and I can flick through the sprues myself before I look at resin ...

Meanwhile I e-Bayed a new reference book ... some of the pics and text look to be interesting ... and hopefully it'll highlight the differences between Aussie birds and anything out in the rest of the world.

dILaGoe.jpg

FVnG75a.jpg

ng6ZyXF.jpg

• Like 5

Hopefully Ern is going to amalgamate my Aussie A/C threads into one ... so instead of creating a new thread - I'll stick this bit in here. Again ... because I'm totally new to this jet thing I'm a little stumped on paint ... I use Tamiya Acrylic's ... I don't mix (at least SUPER rarely) - I tend to find the nearest colour to what I'm after and just go with that one ... That being said: these colour call outs a diving me silly!! ... Help?

ZLHda52.jpg

• Like 4

Rog, I checked IPMS Stockholm and they don't list any straight matcha for Tamiya paints. 

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/urbans-color-reference-charts-part-i/urbans-colour-reference-charts-united-states/

Since you're using acrylics, try Gunze Mr Hobby. They have FS colours straight from the bottle so no mixing needed. 

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/hobby-model-paints-thinners-paints-gsi-creos-gunze-mr-hobby

If anything, they spray nicer than Tamiya acrylics. They do have a slightly longer drying time though.

Carl

• Like 4

Ok fellas ... thanks again ...

For the Hornets ... In respect to the actual colours used: Smitty has a point, so because the "Hornets Down Under" book is due to arrive here sometime next week and it might have references to any paint changes - I'll put that on hold .. Although I did note that Mr.Hobby acrylics have the FS numbers, Carl - are these some sort of U.S. or N.A.T.O standardised thing??

I'm officially redesignating the "British Standard" paint listing for the RAN Skyhawk as "Bull S$#@" ... as no model paint seem to be available in that colour...

If I can find a local stockist of that brand that carries a full range of colours I might take a photo of a Google searched swatch and just go try to match.

Tamiya MUST have something though ... because they produce F-15s, 16s etc ... all of them are grey!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Artful69 said:

Ok fellas ... thanks again ...

For the Hornets ... In respect to the actual colours used: Smitty has a point, so because the "Hornets Down Under" book is due to arrive here sometime next week and it might have references to any paint changes - I'll put that on hold .. Although I did note that Mr.Hobby acrylics have the FS numbers, Carl - are these some sort of U.S. or N.A.T.O standardised thing??

I'm officially redesignating the "British Standard" paint listing for the RAN Skyhawk as "Bull S$#@" ... as no model paint seem to be available in that colour...

If I can find a local stockist of that brand that carries a full range of colours I might take a photo of a Google searched swatch and just go try to match.

Tamiya MUST have something though ... because they produce F-15s, 16s etc ... all of them are grey!

That link I posted says AS 25 and AS 26

• Like 4

FS stands for Federal Standard and is a reference for most of the colours used by the US military after WWII or thereabouts. 

The Tamiya colours listed on Smitty's link are Tamiya spray paints. They're really nice but lacquer based so I don't think they fit the bill. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

FS stands for Federal Standard and is a reference for most of the colours used by the US military after WWII or thereabouts. 

The Tamiya colours listed on Smitty's link are Tamiya spray paints. They're really nice but lacquer based so I don't think they fit the bill. 

So they don't make equivalent colors in the jars? I loathe Tamiya paints so I just don't know.

• Like 5

Tamiya call-outs for their 1/48 F-15 kit are a mix of their own brand.

IMG_20200126_081744.thumb.jpg.6a9d871e2b34b19d2ec2ca901b7d840f.jpg

Really surprising that they don't offer exact acrylic colours for their range of modern US aircraft; considering they regularly release specific and unusual colours to match single kits elsewhere in their line (Coral blue rattle can for the Leyton House F-1 car for example).

• Like 4

7 hours ago, smitty44 said:

That link I posted says AS 25 and AS 26

Yeah ... I noticed that after I replied - on about the 3rd read through ... I turned 50 last year - brain isn't as sharp as it used to be! :D ... I looked up the Tamiya website ... rattle cans and lacquer jars only ... which raises an interesting question ...

7 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Thanks for the paint standard designation ... I knew it had to be something like that. As for the paint ... I started using acrylic's years ago because i hated the preparation, clean up and lingering smell of enamels - an added bonus was that the paint dried really quickly too. So what's different with lacquers?? are they stinky oily things that take forever to clean up after or are they more like acrylic's??

2 hours ago, Wumm said:

Tamiya call-outs for their 1/48 F-15 kit are a mix of their own brand.

Really surprising that they don't offer exact acrylic colours for their range of modern US aircraft; considering they regularly release specific and unusual colours to match single kits elsewhere in their line (Coral blue rattle can for the Leyton House F-1 car for example).

Tell me about it ... They were the kings of 1/35 before Dragon started turning it on - so why don't we have a designated RLM colour range (instead of random colour names)? ... I hate the thought of having a mixed set of different branded paints ... it'll get confusing ... BUT ...

I'm beginning to like Carl's suggestion of Mr.Hobby's acrylic's more and more - it's not the first time the suggestion has come up ... I'm thinking that might be the way to go - phase Tamiya out and replace with Mr.Hobby.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Rog,

I found the two big threads and I think I got them together. Feel free to mess with it or if you need anything else changed.

I didn’t move the looking for thread from the Traders Board, but if I missed any others, please let me know.

I expect you’ll modify the new title. :)

• Like 4