The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

IBG models PZL P.11c. Finished

• Administrators
4 hours ago, jsontag said:

Beautiful build, my friend. I recently purchased this kit from Model Hobbies, it's on the way, and was wondering where I can purchase the Hataka BLUE LINE – Polish Air Force paint set in the U.S.?

http://hataka-hobby.com/products/polish-air-force-paint-set-2/

Thanks,

James 

Sprue Brothers should carry them

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just read through this thread. Beautiful job! I just ordered mine from Hannants (sorry, I seem to have snagged the last one there) for Father's day hear in the States. It's on its way with an ICM Gladiator thrown in. With the consent of SWMBO, of course! I'm bookmarking this for my eventual build. Thanks, Ern!

Michael

• Like 5

1 hour ago, michaelsatin said:

Just read through this thread. Beautiful job! I just ordered mine from Hannants (sorry, I seemed to snag the last one there) for Father's day hear in the States. It's on its way with an ICM Gladiator thrown in. With the consent of SWMBO, of course! I'm bookmarking this for my eventual build. Thanks, Ern!

Michael

Welcome to the Forum, Michael!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, michaelsatin said:

Just read through this thread. Beautiful job! I just ordered mine from Hannants (sorry, I seemed to snag the last one there) for Father's day hear in the States. It's on its way with an ICM Gladiator thrown in. With the consent of SWMBO, of course! I'm bookmarking this for my eventual build. Thanks, Ern!

Michael

Welcome to our place Michael. I got the pre last of the PZL's ;).

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

On 4/14/2020 at 2:19 AM, DocRob said:

It happens even to the best.

Is there a reason why the Polish markings are not symmetrical applied on the wings. On my Karas it's the same, so it must be a Polish idea.

Cheers Rob 

As I read through this thread, I was waiting for someone to answer this question. As no one did, I'm going to take a stab at it. During the Great War, there was some anguish by pilots (especially Brits, as I recall, though I could be wrong) that the symmetrical application of national insignia on the wings gave enemy pilots a perfect aiming point. The pilot was smack in the middle. So, various experiments were carried out to see if changing things up threw off the bad-guy's aim. Of course, in the end, it just didn't "look right", so the original application was retained. I'm guessing the Poles got the message and weren't as worried about how it looked. The asymmetrical application of insignia was meant to throw off the attacking pilot's aim.

I'm just shooting in the dark here (get it?), but I think that's why they did it that way.

Michael:piliot:

• Like 6

• Administrators

Welcome Michael!!  

I'd venture to say you're probably right.  In the Great War, the Germans used to have their National Insignia right between the crewmembers on their two seaters, and right under the pilot on the single seaters.

'X' marks the spot, or so they said. A very convenient aiming point indeed, during the days before mounted machine  guns where observers carried their hunting rifles or pistols with them.

In the end, they moved the insignia farther back to where all they'd be doing is punching holes through open space.

• Like 4