The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Model train question....

ScottsGT

Slightly off topic, I know.  But I'm wondering if anyone knows of IM or even resin train models?  Not working train sets/accessories, But actual models built for static display?   Particularly O Gauge in size.  I love the look of the old Streamliner locomotives and would like to have a few to display, but don't want to shell out $500-$2500 for a display only piece.  And of course, no room to build a dedicated train layout in the house.    I've been Googling all afternoon and I keep coming up empty handed. 

• Like 1

So do Trumpeter. And IIRC, Revell had some HO steam locs, and Airfix has some old HO kits as well, some of which can be found on eBay.

I am sure there are a lot more models, including in resin and brass in O Scale. Probably if you check on Kalmbach’s dedicated magazines and forums you will find more than what is suggested above.

Last, but not least, there are some absolutely spectacular cardboard/paper models from Polish companies, like Orlik, and others I can’t remember the name of,  in 1/25 scale. Good news is they require far more guts than bucks to get an outstanding mantelpiece eyecatcher. Bad news is exactly the same ;) , but then for someone who tackled rebuilding an old muscle car, the guts must be there aplenty :lol:

HTH

Hubert

• Like 2

Hi Scott,

Though it has been quite a while I work for a number of years in the Model Railroad hobby business.

There were a number of manufactures of HO scale detailed resin hobby kits, but in larger scales not at that time. Like has been stated there a number of kits in 1/35 but most all are European designs including Trumpeter's Steam Locomotives. LZ Models also manufactures 1/35 rail cars and detail parts for same. There are also others but again nearly everything is European designs.

There have been a few true O Scale 1/48" kits that have been done over the years but not sure what might be out there now.

My close friend who owns the Model Railroad shop I worked in is still at it and he keeps he finger on the pulse of the business. If it is out there then he in all probability knows of it and can get it for you.

His name is Robert (Bob) Branin, his shop is named Riverdale Station and is located in Riverdale, GA. just south of the airport in Atlanta.

Email; Riverdalestation (at) gmail.com. Please contact him and let him know what you're looking for. Feel free to mention that I gave you his info.

Barry

• Like 2

• Administrators

Yep, good true O Scale models that aren't more toys than scale models are as rare as rocking horse poop.   1/87 (HO) seems to be the size where the true Scale Modelers gravitate to.  1/160 (N) also is gaining traction, but thanks to Lionel and other tinplate manufacturers who crowded O Gauge over the years, it's never really been where the true scale modelers seem to land.  Heck, just like the big  "G" scale Geezer Gauge, they couldn't even agree on an actual NMRA standard size.

• Like 1

Did some more digging using the suggestions y’all made.  I found lots of WWII and German stuff in smaller scales, but no Streamlined Locomotives.  I might just have to settle for some nice pictures of trains to hang on the wall.  :rofl:

• Like 1

Keeping on the cardboard model side, found this for you :

https://modelik.pl/0905-jupiter-p-432.html

https://sklep.gpm.pl/modele-kartonowe/kolejki/1/45-43/hcp-1-6-2-bulgar-145

One is streamlined but not American, the other American, but not streamlined. Both shops in the links are worth exploring more. O scale is 1/43 - 1/45 IIRC.

Here is a more general link to train cardboard models :

https://modelik.pl/pojazdy-szynowe-c-25.html

Hubert

• Like 2