The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Tamiya should be ashamed of themselves - Poor decal's in High Quality kits!

Guest styrenedemon

Ok... I am not a huge fan of Tamiya decals and try to avoid them as much as I can...

But I did find out the other day... that if you have a nice smooth gloss coat, they will go down nicely with a bit of heat using a hairdyer..

DSC00436.jpg

I have heard in the past, why Tamiya doesn't out source their decals... Appartantely they got burnt years ago by some faulty decals that they out sourced, and that why they have kept decals inhouse since... How true that is???I don't know

• Administrators

Different manufacturers who use Cartograf for their decals do so with their own specifications.

For example, I've just finished writing the review for the new Zoukei-mura He 219A-0 kit, and this has decals by Cartograf, as opposed to the awful Japanese-made ones. The decals are superb, but the film/printing is thicker than that requested regularly by European manufacturers. The Japanese must just like it this way.

Still....they are a vast improvement over the previous releases, but my review doesn't test a decal to check anything out..

• Members

In addition Dave's trick, I've had success with them soaking them in hot (not warm or lukewarm) water and applying Micro-sol, they settled down nicely.  The carrier is a thicker but they looked fine after everything was finished.

Guest styrenedemon

I shot a blow dryer at a couple of them, but was a little cautious of melting anything...been there...lol....I was able to get them to behave not too badly with liberal amounts of Solvaset...so...crossing fingers for the Spit stencils...

Jimmy,

I feel your pain, and you have a point there. But could you try to keep your message header down

To a dull roar please ( ok, nicked it from Dempsey and Makepeace, I admit).

It gives the impression something is seriously wrong.

Cees

Guest styrenedemon

Jimmy,

I feel your pain, and you have a point there. But could you try to keep your message header down

Cees

Huh?

:huh:

Guest styrenedemon

Come on now

Ok...?

Jimmy,

Cees

After rereading several times I understand what you're saying, sorry to have upset you..

If you happen to snag some of Barracuda's Spit decals, they've got stencils. As I realized only AFTER  I'd used the Tamiya ones.

I may consider that route...how many sets do they include. I wan't a Mk. VII set they have anyway for an upcoming build.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't understand the hate for Tamiya decals, I've never had a problem with them and infact, I find them to be some of the best decals to use. I lay them over a good amount of Mr Mark on the surface (gloss coated surface), let them soak a little then press them down.

It's the Hasegawa decals I dislike, mostly because they yellow very quickly.