The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

dullcote questions

belugawhaleman

I'll offer some info.

My experience with dullcoat is ongoing and has been ok.

It is borderline caustic so care is needed , practise mixing and spraying on mules or scrap.

Laquer thinner works from the hardware store, and any laquer thinner should work.

Mix it sparingly to watch them mix properly and add the thinner slowly as you mix.

I like a lotta thinner for full overcoats at high pressure , blow on light coats and keep the airbrush moving.

I used it in heavy coats to 'blur' and blend the metal and rust coats on my Ypres 1914 vignette:

image.thumb.jpeg.3539a3469bb72b0e71d2ba452900b073.jpeg

IMG_8912.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for your reply. I really like the photos provided. The rust effects look really

convincing. In the past I used dullcote In spray cans but I would prefer to use my airbrush. My other option would be to use the Tamiya flat base and clear to make a

Satin finish. I did this in the distant past with some success but I don't remember what

the ratios were. I will experiment. I don't want another frosty model.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, belugawhaleman said:

Tamiya flat base

No, No, No!  This stuff will fog your model quickly!  Ask me how I know.

What you want for a satin coat is Tamiya X22:

8d5241e88bf3f14e066c8e71192e98d2.jpg

And Tamiya XF-86:

796f6070ca9fec2f6422463fc22011c0.jpg

Good Luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I used to mix a little Flat base with the clear gloss to make a semi gloss it was a little

tricky but it worked. I just don't remember the exact amounts I used. I tried the tamiya spray can clear flat by decanting it and using it

in my airbrush but in places it frosted. I used my Iwata eclipse gravity fed airbrush with .35 mm nozzle. later I resprayed with a wetter coat with my Paasche h #3 nozzle and this improved things a bit. I don't know. I'm going use a sheet of styrene painted with tamiya

lacquer as a test piece until I get it right. thanks for your input. I'll keep you posted.

improved 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

No, No, No!  This stuff will fog your model quickly!  Ask me how I know.

What you want for a satin coat is Tamiya X22:

8d5241e88bf3f14e066c8e71192e98d2.jpg

And Tamiya XF-86:

796f6070ca9fec2f6422463fc22011c0.jpg

Good Luck!

So you mix the flat clear with the gloss instead of using the flat base? That makes sense. I'll give that a try. thanks .I wonder if that will work with tamiya lacquer gloss and flat?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I just decant the testors dullcoat spray into a container then into my airbrush, no thinner mixing needed.  Been doing that for years no problems other than an occasional mess.

Thanks. how do you decant the testors spray? On the Tamiya spray cans the nozzle protrudes a bit... it fits perfectly on some tubing I have ...easy peasey.  I'm open to all suggestions.

• Administrators

Let me offer my .02 worth.

Ive used them all: Testors dullcoat, Tamiya, Alclad, etc.  Alclad NEVER, EVER DRIED!  It always stayed somewhat tacky to where if you had to hold and move the model onto a table, your hand would ever so slightly stick.  Other than that, it was great.

Testors dullcoat decanted a day sprayed along with Tamiya were “OK”.  It was always a crapshoot whether they would leave white spots, no matter how much care you took.

But the i was tipped off about ModelMaster clear lacquers in the bottles.  I mix them about 60/40 with Mr. Leveling Thinner, applied through my airbrush, and it’s absolutely idiot proof.  You can apply so thick it almost runs and it’ll dry Super clear and rock hard within a few minutes.   The first few times I used it, I was anally careful, and it was perfect. Later on, I took an old 109 test mule and sprayed it thin, thick, runny, you name it, NO WHITE SPECS, NOT THEN, NOT EVER.  I apply it over everything, even Mission Paint, and it’s flawless. It IS lacquer, so I’m still very, very careful the first light pass over decals and Mission Paint, But for 6 years now, I’ve had zero issues.  None.

try it, it works. They are truly amazing clears. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use a mix of Tamiya Flat and Pledge as dullcoat. You have to be careful about the amount of Tamiya Flat though, to prevent fogging. The great builder FichtenFoo experimented with that mix and I had the same results like him. Another side note. If you use that mix, be careful with panelliners like the Tamiya ones on the varnish coat. They are too aggressive and will ruin the surface.

Clear Coats with Future Floor Acrylic | FichtenFoo

Cheers Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Let me offer my .02 worth.

Ive used them all: Testors dullcoat, Tamiya, Alclad, etc.  Alclad NEVER, EVER DRIED!  It always stayed somewhat tacky to where if you had to hold and move the model onto a table, your hand would ever so slightly stick.  Other than that, it was great.

Testors dullcoat decanted a day sprayed along with Tamiya were “OK”.  It was always a crapshoot whether they would leave white spots, no matter how much care you took.

But the i was tipped off about ModelMaster clear lacquers in the bottles.  I mix them about 60/40 with Mr. Leveling Thinner, applied through my airbrush, and it’s absolutely idiot proof.  You can apply so thick it almost runs and it’ll dry Super clear and rock hard within a few minutes.   The first few times I used it, I was anally careful, and it was perfect. Later on, I took an old 109 test mule and sprayed it thin, thick, runny, you name it, NO WHITE SPECS, NOT THEN, NOT EVER.  I apply it over everything, even Mission Paint, and it’s flawless. It IS lacquer, so I’m still very, very careful the first light pass over decals and Mission Paint, But for 6 years now, I’ve had zero issues.  None.

try it, it works. They are truly amazing clears. 

Sounds good. Thanks for the tip

On 12/4/2020 at 8:03 PM, belugawhaleman said:

Thanks. how do you decant the testors spray? On the Tamiya spray cans the nozzle protrudes a bit... it fits perfectly on some tubing I have ...easy peasey.  I'm open to all suggestions.

i have a tall tamiya mixing cup that I spray it into. Don't spray it straight down, spray it toward the side of the mixing cup to disperse the splatter.