The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

As hard as it is for me to say....

smitty44

• Administrators

Smitty, I’ve been following her progress through West Point, courtesy of yourself, and my thought and Prayers are with all of you as she continues receiving a world class University education in one of the most prestigious military universities in the world.

I’m sure a stellar Army career will follow!

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 12/12/2020 at 10:51 AM, abbadur said:

???

Smitty is a Marine, as in Navy. Their college is the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, and their team is called Midshipmen. His niece is Army who’s team are the Black Knights at the US Military Academy in West Point, New York. The annual Army vs Navy football game is an American staple.

Marines cheer Navy, and people with brains cheer Army.  His niece has brains, unlike Smitty.  But apparently, this year, the brain stem that Marines use to function and perform basic life skills has sprouted a few extra cells in his otherwise empty (jar) head.

• Haha 6

Although we get the NFL and a fair bit of college football over here in the UK there's no coverage of games like this.

The inter-services rugby games over here can be brutal, just punch-ups from start to finish. Is the Army-Navy game the same or are the referees pretty strict on foul play? The professional game seems very strict on dirty stuff.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GusMac said:

Although we get the NFL and a fair bit of college football over here in the UK there's no coverage of games like this.

The inter-services rugby games over here can be brutal, just punch-ups from start to finish. Is the Army-Navy game the same or are the referees pretty strict on foul play? The professional game seems very strict on dirty stuff.

Although things happen from time to time, the amount of repect the academy's have for each other is huge. They certainly play the game with an intensity matched by no other, but stuff like that is rare and would not be tolerated by even the coaching staffs.  If tempers flare discipline is key. Sporting events in the fleet or regular Army could be quite different.

• Like 4

Army shut out Navy 15-0, so my niece and her brothers and sisters in arms were all very happy. Wish it could be so for both sides after a very difficult fall semester for both. Now she is home for Christmas and that makes us happy!

• Like 4

Im sure its a good rivalry ... Hard fought and intense ... but quickly laid aside when enemies arrive ...

Like ANZACS ... We give the Kiwis heaps (and it's returned!!) but they are our brothers in blood in the fight.

My AFL football team (Adelaide Crows) song is played to the Marine Corps Hymn ... "The Pride of South Australia" ...

Dad was often found whistling Colonel Bogey when I was growing up ... decades long after leaving the BEF.

Rog :)

• Like 3