The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/48 diorama technique mule *Completed(ish)*

AlanG

Whilst i've been gathering kits and materials for my upcoming 1/35 Ardennes diorama, i thought i'd better actually learn how to make one.

So i've been having a play with static grass and an old 1/48 Tamiya Fw190 A8/R2 i did years ago. This dio is a mule for learning techniques but i'm getting there. I think the grass has come out ok for a newbie lol

IMG_2120.JPG

IMG_2122.JPG

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

The mud looks really good too

That's because it's erm.... mud :)

Dried some off in the oven to kill any bugs and mixed it with PVA glue (white glue). It was something that a friend once told me to do. He said why buy expensive artificial mud when you have a garden full of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, AlanG said:

That's because it's erm.... mud :)

Dried some off in the oven to kill any bugs and mixed it with PVA glue (white glue). It was something that a friend once told me to do. He said why buy expensive artificial mud when you have a garden full of it.

BAZINGA !!!!

• Like 1

After finishing work today i decided to have another go at some of the diorama bushes. I've been 'teasing' some of the lichen apart and it looks (to me at least) like i have some really decent bushes/branches here. I think these will paint up and hold leaves vey nicely. Might have to go out and get some more lichen.

IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2129.JPG

• Like 4

I have to admit Phil that i am enjoying doing this. I've sort of stalled with my 'plastic' builds due to a little mental health issue but this is starting to get me back into it. 

• Like 4

On 3/29/2021 at 9:51 PM, GusMac said:

Looks great Alan. A few wee yellow flowers in there and you've got a great representation of the whins around here at the moment. :thumbsup2:

Just for you then Gus ;)

IMG_2137.JPG

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

now being back on furlough I can get back to the bench.....

I wish. Had my weekend off this weekend so now i'm back to work tomorrow for 12 days on. Also with the snow we've just got it's going to be a cold bitter day down on the farm.

• Like 1

Right i'm gonna call this one as completed(ish).

Had real fun making this and it's taught me a lot for when i come to do some serious dioramas. The tree hasn't stuck well so i've had to place a bush around it to hold it down. I'll have to paint and foam scatter that at a later date. But all in all i like what i've created. Not epic. But certainly a good starting point.

So here we have a off-airfield Luftwaffe aircraft stand. The idea was that due to allied air attacks to their bases in 1944/45 and the fluid state of the retreat, the Luftwaffe resorted to making these stands in areas of natural cover.

Any advice welcome.

IMG_2151.JPG

IMG_2152.JPG

IMG_2153.JPG

IMG_2154.JPG

IMG_2155.JPG

IMG_2156.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG

IMG_2158.JPG

IMG_2159.JPG

IMG_2160.JPG

• Like 2