The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

WnW Fokker D.VII (Fok)

JeroenPeters

Hi Guys,

Just got a parcel. Heaven sent :)

Old propellor lozenge decals and one spoked wheel.

Since I'm building this DVII with one wheel uncovered.

This wheel is just.... amazing.

Thnx James!!

Wow!! That looks terrific! Do you have to build the wheel yourself or is it pre-finished? If so, it'll probably not be cheap, considering the fine work and time it'll cost to make?

Oh, BTW, one spoke is crooked... On to the fietsenmaker (bicycle repair shop)... :lol: 

Edited by Erik B.
Changed a sentence that might be read differently than the meaning I intended
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Wow!! That looks terrific! Do you have to build the wheel yourself or is it pre-finished which then probably will translate in an outlandish price?

Oh, BTW, one spoke is crooked... On to the fietsenmaker... :lol: 

The latter. This one was free, a gift from james, but i just ordered a set of wheels for my Rumpler. 

About 70 euro's, but I think it's well worth it.

It certainly looks the part! But too bad that it's pre-finished. Gives me an eerie feeling that if someone throws enough cash at a WnW-kit he gets a showstopper by all the pre-finished aftermarket that only needs to be fixed to the model. Spoked wheels, wooden props...

I know the old-schoolers howled the same tune when resin made it's debut to the hobby, but that at least had to be made to fit - and painted!

Ah well.... You and Jeroen V. (and a score more lads!) at least show that without the parts a model can be a showstopper too...!

• Like 1

• Administrators

It certainly looks the part! But too bad that it's pre-finished. Gives me an eerie feeling that if someone throws enough cash at a WnW-kit he gets a showstopper by all the pre-finished aftermarket that only needs to be fixed to the model. Spoked wheels, wooden props...

I know the old-schoolers howled the same tune when resin made it's debut to the hobby, but that at least had to be made to fit - and painted!

Ah well.... You and Jeroen V. (and a score more lads!) at least show that without the parts a model can be a showstopper too...!

And i was just about to ask you to do the painting for me  :D

• Like 1

• Administrators

Painting the fuselage.

First a layer of green (just to have a darker background). The the crosses and serial number.

And that gets a layer of white, since these markings were overpainted. The middle section will be red, but a slightly lighter tone than the metal parts.

Cheers!

null_zps6811f9f9.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

Eh....? Might be me, Jeroen, but doesn't the profile show another Balkenkreuz than you have applied? Or is the profile incorrect?

Or do I just not get it? ;)

Erik, if i use a certain marking and the profile says other wise.. rule of thumb: Jeroen's right.

For future reference ;)

• Like 1

Not in pairs, in threes (I don't think threesome is the right word here?...) attachicon.gifhypocrite.gif The SIG Build-meeting next Saturday, I'll bring my two cubs, Daniël and Lucas.....

attachicon.gifdevil.gif

Hi Erik 

Jeroen will have a difficult task painting and fitting the spoked wheel.  Here’s a photo of the wheel pinned and fitted into the WNW kit axel on a Roland D.VIa, just to get you excited.

IMG_0328cup_zps52d68866.jpg

(mental note: Steven, time to ask Martin to pass that box of tissues to Erik).

A magnificent Fokker D.VII Jeroen, I'm enjoying this build.  Clearly, your model will be a show-stopper with an excellent choice of after-market additions to enhance the aircraft (love that Doug Craner propeller).  Your Rumpler spoked wheels were finished today (Fri 18 Oct) and I hope you'll show all the bears a build log on this one as well.

Happy Landings

Steven, in the Land of Oz

Think I'll have to tease Erik with a set of Eindecker spoked wheels.

Edited by Erik B.
After consultation with Steven we BOTH decided to change our postings because they conveyed another message than we wanted to send
  • Like 3