The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

WnW Fokker D.VII (Fok)

JeroenPeters

• Administrators

One of my favorite planes... Strong, diverse, rugged and diverse in versions and scheme's.

I bummed this kit of Jim (thnx buddy!) and Cees dropped off (as usual) some great reference books.

At first I wanted to do one in Dutch markings of the LVA. Number 266 (as can be seen in our militairy aviation museum - see walkaround posted by Erik) or number 265 (as can be seen at the hangar of 'Early Birds' in Lelystad). Both of these planes are in a two colour scheme. Green and blue. 

Linky to 'Early Birds'

BUT...

then Cees gave me something that changed everything and made me decide to do the scheme below. More later.

scheme_zps06de120d.jpg

Yesterday I visited the 'Early Birds' hangar at Lelystad airport. It's a collection of mostly WW1 planes. Most of them are replica's but with many original parts. Their Fokker DVII features an original Mercedes DIIIa engine, prop, radiator, fuel tank, etc...

As soon as a hole and dent in the wing are fixed, it should be able to fly again.

They also have a Sopwith Pup, Fokker DR1, Camel and amazing Nieuport 28 on display.

lelystad1_zpsd5dbb63e.jpg

lelystad2_zps265fd728.jpg

lelystad4_zps6200b8a2.jpg

lelystad3_zps3d7f6655.jpg

null_zps2be0c34d.jpg

Cheers,

Jeroen

• Like 1

• Administrators

Excellent choice of subject and some interesting pictures. Do you have more of those pictures of the DVII in a photobucket album for example?

Hi there,

the best place to have a look is the walk around we posted. This plane is more original. The one above is in flying condition and has brake disks for example.

Have a look over here:

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/1002-fokker-dvii-militaire-luchtvaart-museum-soesterberg-the-netherlands/

• Administrators

Holy $%i& Jeroen, that IP looks amazing buddy.

So are the HGW decals pre cut for the IP or do you cut to the shape around the dials yourself?

Martin.

Hi Martin, Thnx!

The HGW wood grain decals do not come with the extensive HGW detail set. I bought them separately.

I first tried Uschi's woodgrain, but the grain swirled a bit too much for the IP. 

And yes... i had to cut the shapes out myself  B)

Cheers,

Jeroen

• Administrators

Well you done one hell of a tidy job buddy, can you explain how you did it? was it with sharp scalpel once the decal was being applied?

Martin.

hi martin,

i placed the ip on the back of the decal. Drew around with a pencil which creates a bigger outline. Placed decal, folded edges around the edges of IP.

The back of the IP is also decalled and that was cut at the same size of the ip.

Cheers!

Jeroen

• Administrators

Thnx Dave,

And here is the reason I'm going for the Red/white scheme...

null_zps74b2a164.jpg

and this fabric comes from:

fokker_zpsaa8d3d6f.jpg

Now.. you might be wondering two things.

• why does that Fokker DVII have such a strange nose?

• where did Jeroen get this stuff?

The Fokker DVII above flew in the movie Hell's Angels and actually is an original ww1 Fokker DVII. 

It only got it's engine replaced by a Hispano engine, since the US had those in stock and these planes needed to actually fly for the movie.

Around 1981 the Netherlands bought this plane and stipped it from it's fabric. Turning it into:

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/1002-fokker-dvii-militaire-luchtvaart-museum-soesterberg-the-netherlands/

The fabric was then donated to someone that knows someone etc... until Cees was able to get his hands on a piece for me and James.

I'm sure the paintjob was done in 1930, but the fabric?.. i don't know. I just can't imagine that they completely re-did numerous planes in 1930.

I'm still digging in the roots of this plane, but the fabric will definately find it's place on the stand.

Cheers,

Jeroen

Hi Martin, Thnx!

The HGW wood grain decals do not come with the extensive HGW detail set. I bought them separately.

I first tried Uschi's woodgrain, but the grain swirled a bit too much for the IP. 

And yes... i had to cut the shapes out myself  B)

Cheers,

Jeroen

I can't cope with that, I think a trip to http://umm-usa.com for a punch and die set is on the cards..

• Like 1

• Administrators

Thnx Richard!

Here's an update on the seat. The back wall has textured decals for the linen. HGW seatbelts in progress.

null_zpsa8cac223.jpg

Also ordered a wooden prop from Doug Craner. 

And will be using Master brass barrels (i like them better than the HGW sleeves) and got the Gaspatch speedometer. Nice stuff. Nice stuff.

null_zps9c3f1ae2.jpg

And last but not least. I got the Kagero 3d book. Freakin amazing... It gives you a real good idea of how what is how en what how is where etc...

null_zps4a95928b.jpg

I don't care what the others are saying privately Jeroen, I think you're getting quite good at this. :). I agree with Martin, that seat is gorgeous.. How do you get that feeling of actual canvas behind the seat with the eyelets etc? Is that with an oil wash?

Note to self: Must get some GasPatch Airspeed Indicators.....

• Administrators

I don't care what the others are saying privately Jeroen, I think you're getting quite good at this. :). I agree with Martin, that seat is gorgeous.. How do you get that feeling of actual canvas behind the seat with the eyelets etc? Is that with an oil wash?

Note to self: Must get some GasPatch Airspeed Indicators.....

Hi Grant,

Thank you! It's true though. What i lack in social skills I try to make up for with painting tiny leather seats.

The fabric itself are decals that are supplied in the HGW set.

The wash i used around the eyelets is Vallejo water based wash. Amazing stuff and i like the way it dries better than oil washes.

Much easier to control.

VAL73201.jpg

Eehhhm.... 

Ah yes. Gaspatch. Great item. They're also brining out a Vickers machine gun soon.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Kinda slacking on some small parts. Like the compass. I put a drop of Micro clear on top. Starts out white (like wood glue) and the next day... voila! Transparent.

The pics are really sharp, so if you see them blurred you might consider glasses...

null_zpse2447d0b.jpg

null_zps54194c2e.jpg

And some more work on the engine. Wiring and stuff.

null_zpsb4ff1892.jpg

• Like 1