Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Trumpeter F4F-3 Observations

It's a good kit from Trumpeter, maybe not in the absolute best league, but definitely from the "A" team.

It's much better than the -4, because at least you do not have to cope with the foldable wings (the -3 had straight, non-foldable wings), which are poor in detail if folded, and have an awful joint to fill and sand if showing the wings unfolded.

One often-overlooked issue of the kit (all versions) is the wrong position of the wheel-well opening (which should be moved forward). This creates a fit issue with the rear bulkhead of the wheel well, which is straight when it should be angled, fits poorly, and has a poor-looking recess / wheel-fairing at the rear, which does not match the well-opening. The modus-operandi for correcting this is:

1) set the bulkhead at the right angle (tilted forward). It will fit much better

2) adjust the wheel-well opening to match the bulkhead and wheel-recess, by adding card at the rear and reshaping the front.

Alain Gadbois on LSP has shown how to correct this :

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/63960-grumman-martlet/page/2/

All in all a great kit in spite of this boo-boo. Much better than the old Revell offering on the detail department. Plus, with the -3, you can get a yellow-wing deco :wub:

HTH

Hubert

Edited by HubertB
Corrected a typo which implied the contrary of what I meant.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thanks Hubert, I bought a load of Eduard AM on evil bay for the -3, amazing cheaply.  I asked the question first about the kit hoping a praying I hadn’t made a mistake.  Now looking for for a deal on the kit and I’m away. It looks as it this could be a relatively inexpensive 32nd project, thanks again Hubert……

• Like 1

Years ago, I reckon early 90’s when I was dabbling again at modelling I bought at a show, this……….8714CD3C-F770-4400-BAE5-202776C25B26.jpeg.56d9d37b51d59baeb4f1c9fd51ba0e1c.jpegtogether with this book. If I remember the guy wanted some ridiculous low money for both bits……..

4BBAB844-5E7B-40BD-BB92-78A97109B58C.jpeg.97c01d4f8df314f07e6b43466dba6bb2.jpeg

somewhere I still have this as I remember trying to use it on a Monogram Wildcat………the book will be useful in the coming build…..

• Like 2

Does anyone know if there exists early US insignia masks, just the star, no bar….. the F4F-3 comes with yellow wings scheme and the later version is another £15 more 😬…….so if I could find masks it would be good, spent nearly all day on this :wallbash:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Does anyone know if there exists early US insignia masks, just the star, no bar….. the F4F-3 comes with yellow wings scheme and the later version is another £15 more 😬…….so if I could find masks it would be good, spent nearly all day on this :wallbash:

Maketar makes them.

https://shop.maketar.com/?product=132-u-s-roundels-1942-1943

I believe Hannant's carried them. 

• Like 1

Here is my version of the Trumpeter kit.  Went together very well with very little to
no problems.  I still have the-4, later version which was retooled, to do.

Cheers,
Jerry  :piliot:

F4F3-41F2-1.JPG

F4F3-41F2-2.JPG

F4F3-41F2-3.JPG

F4F3-41F2-4.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, k5ikl said:

Here is my version of the Trumpeter kit.  Went together very well with very l

Very nice Jerry, really clean build. I wanted to do the late -3 with the more traditional intermediate blue and plain stars…….but aggrieved at paying a third again for less decals and exactly the same kit…..

• Like 1