The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Need some Floquil thinner/brush cleaner

JohnB

5 hours ago, JohnB said:

I wasn't able to get a account due to some problem with the "captcha" I entered whatever that is. No clue.

Thanks anyway Gaz!!!

C'mon John...   is this what happened?

• Haha 2

John

Drives me crazy all the time.
I didn’t even know Floquil paints and thinners were still available. I use to use them all the time, especially when I was into model railroading many, many , many years ago and they were my number one paint.

I’ll do some looking myself and see what I might be able to find.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Drives me crazy all the time.
I didn’t even know Floquil paints and thinners were still available. I use to use them all the time, especially when I was into model railroading many, many , many years ago and they were my number one paint.

I’ll do some looking myself and see what I might be able to find.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

I still have a bunch of their paint and use some from time to time. I expect there is a compatible thinner around, I just don't know what it is! LOL

Thanks Peter! :)

• Like 1

John, I did a search on "Floquil thinner substitue" and this came up from TOS...

Spads57 said:
I've been using Floquil's Dio-Sol Thinner for years to clean my airbrushes,now it seems the stuff has gone away.My question to you fellows is there a good lacquer thinner substitute availible along the lines of Floquil's availible? Lately I've been spraying a lot of Alclad II the dio-sol works great cleaning up afterwards but my stock is getting low. Now I need something new.

Gregory,

Your local hardware store should sell lacquer thinner by the quart or gallon for a very reasonable price. On the other hand, I prefer xylene (also known as xylol), which is the principal component of Dio-Sol and also is sold inexpensively by the quart or gallon at any good hardware store — wherever I've lived in the USA, at least — or via the Internet. Xylene/xylol is strong stuff, however, so be careful with it.

A 2:1 mixture of xylene and lacquer thinner comes quite close to being home-made Dio-Sol.

Charles Metz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I worked in the oil fields, we had to use Xylene quite often.  One guy got it dumped on him, requiring immediate hospitalization.   The cure?  Alcohol.  No...  not Iso.  Bourbon.  Whiskey.  Or something along that vein.  Not sure about how or why...   but that was the cure. 

Imagine getting effed up in a hospital bed!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GazzaS said:

When I worked in the oil fields, we had to use Xylene quite often.  One guy got it dumped on him, requiring immediate hospitalization.   The cure?  Alcohol.  No...  not Iso.  Bourbon.  Whiskey.  Or something along that vein.  Not sure about how or why...   but that was the cure. 

Imagine getting effed up in a hospital bed!

Not a happy thought Gaz! That stuff must really be potent. 🤪

• Like 2

We used to use a liquid scintillation cocktail at work that was mainly Xylene and it was horrible to work with. Penetrated latex gloves in around 1 second, so spilling it was definitely not advised. Also has a flash point of 25 C so flame proof cupboards, etc also needed.

Everyone was heartily glad when the test it was used for was retired. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GusMac said:

We used to use a liquid scintillation cocktail at work that was mainly Xylene and it was horrible to work with. Penetrated latex gloves in around 1 second, so spilling it was definitely not advised. Also has a flash point of 25 C so flame proof cupboards, etc also needed.

Everyone was heartily glad when the test it was used for was retired. 

I'll have to be VERY careful with it as I don't want any problems, etc. I plan to only get a quart to try out.

• Like 2