The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Cyberhobby 1/35 Panther G (early), Pz.Rgt.26 Italian Front

This is a build that was actually started in December but never appeared on SPAR. I have been working on this one for a Steel Cats GB on Finescale, but the deadline for that one is April 1 and I'd rather not rush to crank this out over my upcoming spring break. Actually, this build was the last thing I was working on over there, so I may not be returning anymore. But anyways, I thought I'd start a fresh thread here where the cool modelers hang out, haha.

First, an introduction. The tank is a Panther G in Italy, with the focus of interest being the add-on armor. I got the kit really cheap at a sale at my LHS, and I opened it not knowing what to expect. Essentially, it's the crispest model I've ever seen! The detail is superb, and so far, every bit of fitting and gluing has been flawless. I read a detailed review/analysis of the kit, and found out that the specific tank that I'm building did not have Zimmerit, but had more armor than the kit offers. The kit gives some very nicely detailed armor for the turret, but apparently the actual tank also had some engine armor as well. To supplement the kit, I found Alliance Model Works' armor set, and it definitely should look the part. The only other real flaw with the kit is that lack of an anti-aircraft MG up-top, though the arm that would hold one is included in the kit. I found a MG 34 resin set from TANK, and I gotta say, the casting is beautiful. I'm really looking forward to painting it and showing it off on top of my model.

Up to this point, I don;t have a ton of work done on it, but the complex suspension was a job in itself. Here are the pics I've got so far, and I hope to work on it sometime this month, so hopefully I'll have an update sometime soon, though I can't promise anything.

Either way, thanks for looking!

IMG_3801.jpg

20130106_1521440.jpg

20130108_201945.jpg

20130109_151358.jpg

20130109_161731.jpg

And this is the set of cleaned-up wheels, another job in itself, haha. The second picture is a test fit, so they don't look straight for a reason.

20130113_135603.jpg

20130113_140125.jpg

• Like 1

Today I worked on the back end and started adding the little details to the turret. The back end is very well engineered and test fits very well with the bottom of the hull. The two large containers on the back are realistically set back from the rear surface by about a millimeter, but interestingly, there is no real way to do this to the left one with the kit parts, so I cut up a piece of scrap sprue down to about a millimeter in width and glued it under the container, keeping the two symmetrical with each other. The turret detail was funny because almost everything I added today will be invisible once the add-on armor is applied, so I didn't pay much attention to detail because it would have been a wasted effort. Overall, however, the layout is once again very well thought out and goes quickly.

I started closely examining the add-on armor and noticed something funny. The armor supplied by Cyberhobby is essentially backwards. The side with welding detail is set up if the hatch were on the opposite side of the turret. However, the really odd part is that the Alliance Model Works part wasn't designed correctly either, because it doesn't make the allowance that Cyberhobby's part makes for the detail under the armor, and essentially won't fit. So I was faced with a choice, and decided to go with the kit part for the turret armor. I can live without the small amount of weld detail, and overall it seems like it fits the turret better. I'll still use the aftermarket set for the deck armor when that stage comes along, and I hope that those parts fit better.

I'm not sure when I'll have bench time next, so stay tuned!

20130303_185212_zps6096082e.jpg

20130303_132008_zpsf6c8b691.jpg

20130303_132208_zpsc0f72980.jpg

I'm curious how the back deck fits to the rear buldhead.  My Panther D had a fit problem there.  It could have been me too.  Also, are the rear deck engine fans attached that early in the process?  Does the rest of the rear deck fit around them?

Nice so far.  So many color options for late war Panthers.

So far with test fits, the rear seems to fit well. I tried it with the top of the deck later and it seems that the fit will be tight overall, but I think that it should fit. I was surprised how early the fans are attached, they have you put them on right after the suspension, but since you do nothing else with the lower hull assembly after that until the last page, they could have you put them on any time in the directions. With the add on armor, they'll hardly be seen, which might be nice because they sit about a millimeter too far back judging by my test fitting.

Gosh, that's nice. I really MUST do something in armour (Oh, yeah - just remembered, I'm starting off with an Emhar WW1 Male Mk.IV for a future Group Build - easy way to start my armour modelling !!)

• Like 1

Yeah, I just have no idea what these kits are like ... I can tell you one thing though - the rubber tracks are pants ! I've order a resin set and replacement barrels from Panzershop. I just hope I have enough filler :)

• Like 1

THe Panther tank is probably my favorite tank of WW2. I absolutely love the look of the German armor. IMO they were really ahead of their time. While I have 3 airplanes I want to finish first, I think I might have to keep an eye out for a Panther Tank to get me back into the Dark Side... I will definitely be following this build with great interest!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my spring break has been busier than I had expected, so I haven't had a whole lot of bench time. I got the turret together and found it to be pretty decent. The armor supplied by the kit is excellent and really looks the part. There are definitely gaps to fill in some parts, separating the turret from the rest of the tank in terms of quality. If this build was destined for a modeling contest, I'd probably invest in a replacement metal barrel, as the barrel has an ugly seam and a complex assembly at the end that has a very poor fit that required more filler than any other assembly. The simulated casting texture on the parts that have it is very nice, though I wish that other parts had it where it would be seen on the real thing. Once again, if this was a more serious build, I'd try something to add the texture myself.

I primed the turret this evening and am pretty happy with it. Of course, bright light and fresh primer show off my imperfections, but I'm not going to worry as this is a "for fun" build. I hope to work on the hull this weekend, and maybe get that primed sometime soon. If I don't get that done by the end of the weekend, the tank will have to sit on ice until May when I'm done with finals, so hopefully I can find time to get some of it done.

Oh yeah. Go Marquette! Elite 8, baby!

20130325_105821_zps35f36e88.jpg

Because of the very delicate metal parts for the add-on armor, I used more glue than needed on purpose and sanded it off of the top piece. The rougher surface seemed to work well with the primer, and the surface after priming looks ready to receive a layer of paint very well. The photo-etch nuts on top are wonderfully detailed and easy to use.

20130326_1810170_zps5efe1e59.jpg

20130328_203337_zpsc41f01a2.jpg

20130328_203845_zpsa336cd7f.jpg

• Like 1