The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

WNW Fokker D.VllF Ukrainian Galician Army 1919

• Administrators

So I’m at a bit of a standstill on my Mug-29, waiting for the DN Models digital masks to arrive from Bulgaria, so we’ll do something a bit offbeat from all the jets being built.

I’ve built a lot of Wingnut kits, including the Gotha G.lV and Felixstowe flying boat, but I’ve yet to build a D.Vll.  So we’ll put some time into this for a bit. 
The RCAF and US Army Air Corps flew Fokker D.Vlls into the 1920s, so it’s not surprising that other militaries used them as well.

This will use the limited edition Aviattic decal set on a Wingnut D.VllF. Extras will include Gaspatch guns, and a Proper Plane wooden propeller from Alexey Belov in Kyiv.  I’ll also use a REXX exhaust pipe if I have a correct one here.  
Internal and control rigging will be EZ Line, while structural rigging as needed aill be my standard Maxima .012 mm mono line 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Clunkmeister changed the title to WNW Fokker D.VllF Ukrainian Galician Army 1919

Now we are talking, great choice Ernie, I love the late Fokkers but like you haven't build a D.VII yet. With the colorful scheme she will be a supportive beauty. I plastered some planes with Aviattic decals and they are the best decals, I ever worked with. No troubles except excessive pre-cutting.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

• Administrators
4 hours ago, DocRob said:

Now we are talking, great choice Ernie, I love the late Fokkers but like you haven't build a D.VII yet. With the colorful scheme she will be a supportive beauty. I plastered some planes with Aviattic decals and they are the best decals, I ever worked with. No troubles except excessive pre-cutting.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob.  I had used Aviattic and Pheon decals on my Felixstowe build, and it was a revealing.  I had to cut and piece every part on the airframe, those wings are HUGE. Definitely not for the faint of heart. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Landlubber Mike said:

If you don't mind me asking, why do the Aviattic and Phone decals require excessive pre-cutting?  I've been thinking about getting their decals for some of the WW kits I have in the stash.

Hi Mike, if I may answer. The Aviatic decal sets for dedicated planes like the Fokker D.VII are only cookie printed, you have to cut every decal to fit.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• Administrators

One other reason, Mike is that I trim ALL my decals close or right to the color line.  Simply because I DETEST any clear edges around a decal.  Call it a pet peeve of mine. 
Once you get hooked on WNW, you’ll never be able to stop.  They’re amazing kits in every way. 

• Like 4

• Administrators

Assembled the basic interior frame and glued it together. 
So, what better way to assure alignment than to use the fuselage halves to hold it in alignment…                
Everything is so precise on a Wingnut kit that we can safely use the model itself as a jig when necessary.

Construction of this is fast. The model is positively brilliant in execution. 

8FA955D8-BA12-4414-AA5B-B6ABCBAC700D.jpeg

• Like 7

• Administrators

Been puttering away at this as the 29 waits for stuff to cure, and he it is as of right now. 
I’m having a great Time with this, I haven’t built a Wingnut kit since I finished my Felixstowe 5 years ago. 
They’re great fun, and if you take care, are very easy to build.  
As y’all can see, it’s pretty much an OOB build other than Aviattic decals. I’m even seeing if I can use the kit seatbelts. Jury still out on that one, however. 

8D23A9E2-41C1-47C6-A91A-573EC48D837B.jpeg

D0A6DB22-05CA-43E5-9B2C-DB3D48CB6EB0.jpeg

F6A3C1AD-1464-407C-BCD2-9096FB36D89C.jpeg

EDDFBE32-D46C-47B0-B12A-7B96D44D845E.jpeg

A77B31B6-1806-4154-BFF0-2CB378C266E1.jpeg

• Like 8

• Administrators

I apologize for the dust in the pics, but I didn’t blow it off. Gonna set the seatbelts, then rig the cage, followed by the rear MG mounts, and a bit more cockpit bracing. Then some light weathering and a matte coat. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
6 hours ago, DocRob said:

Nice Ernie, a bit scuffed, which is beautifully rendered. I wasn't aware, that the IP is so oversized for just the two instruments and some levers on the Fokker.

Cheers Rob

The levers are a bit overscale, but for this, it’s good for me. It looks good when looking in.  I guess I could build a panel out of Airscale stuff, but I’m just not feeling it right now. 
Plus, that seat cushion looks BLACK in the pics. I’m gonna lighten it up with some liberal amounts of dry brushing. The camera does goofy things to colors 

• Like 4