The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

One Month Challenge: COMPLETED

21 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Gaz, just caught up. Simply stunning, congrats on beautiful executed dio…….I built an 88mm wen I first came back into the hobby but never painted it…..hmmm you have inspired me Gaz….

Thank you, Phil!  I'm glad to have inspired you.

• Like 1

Congrats to another great diorama Gary. Even though you live in Waterworld these days.

Winter-scenes aren’t easy to replicate but your scene is really awesome.

I‘m curious what will come next.

Like Peter always says: keep 'em coming! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Congrats to another great diorama Gary. Even though you live in Waterworld these days.

Winter-scenes aren’t easy to replicate but your scene is really awesome.

I‘m curious what will come next.

Like Peter always says: keep 'em coming! 

Thank you, Kai.  I'm not really sure what's next.  I have 5 started kits...   6 if you count Grosser Kurfürst.  But the mojo is feeling pretty low at the moment.  I'm back to work next week...  so, I'm not really sure what I'm gonna do...   or when.

• Like 2

Twenty days would have been the amount of time, I would have spent thinking where to put the spent shells :D. Awesome and convincing display Gary. The winter atmosphere is only lacking the fog plums in front of the faces from breathing. I can only raise my virtual hat to such a speedy and in all aspects great dio.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Twenty days would have been the amount of time, I would have spent thinking where to put the spent shells :D. Awesome and convincing display Gary. The winter atmosphere is only lacking the fog plums in front of the faces from breathing. I can only raise my virtual hat to such a speedy and in all aspects great dio.

Cheers Rob

Thank you, Rob!  Twenty days was really only possible because I was on holidays.  It was nice to leave the pursuit of perfection behind and just move on in the name of reaching the finish.  I'm really happy about converting the figures from their original purpose and molding them into the story.  And I'm glad you liked it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

That came out really great, fantastic job!  Can I ask how you did the snow?  Looks very realistic, especially with the foot prints/depressions (and their subtle blue tone), etc.  

Thank you, Mike!  I'm glad you like it.

After laying down the air-dry clay and putting a lot of footprints with a left and right leg from other figures, I paint the base a light blue-gray color.  After that, using thinned PVA applied with a paintbrush, sprinkle the snow material over the PVA shaking off the excess.  The footprints themselves get no snow.  To them, I add a little white paint to make them less distinct.   I build up Layers of snow with more PVA where desired.   Finally, before placing any figures or equipment, airbrush the surface with a thin white filter to blend the colors a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1