The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

One Month Challenge: COMPLETED

6 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Hope you are starting to feel better especially after those five shots.  Figure placement seems quite natural as everyone is doing something and looking the part, 

Thank you, Peter.  I'm still feeling awful.  Getting very little done.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Just take care of yourself and hopefully you will start feeling better.

Sadly sleep is fleeting.  My sinuses and throat are irritated.  So, It's hard to unfocus.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Gaz, hoping you are feeling better, the modifications are stunning looking forward to the next stage……

Thank you my friend.  Hopefully spray some paint tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Hello friends.

Despite a lot of work, I have little to show.  For instance, here are the dudes all primed in Tamiya paint.IMG_0949.thumb.JPG.0f47719236cae086d2903488250ca6cc.JPG

IMG_0951.JPG.2f5ce9476482b938b0163ce4a534351b.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG.5e10026c3bc5f9fb7b119ee17647381d.JPG\

IMG_0955.thumb.JPG.815d456a507208438415d31130c90300.JPG

IMG_0958.thumb.JPG.218a1ee1b6ec9f1e24ad4cb92ec6eef3.JPG

The first coat of gray enabled me to see all of the mistakes.  The most of which I scraped off with a hobby blade.  Then I resprayed them.

I spent a lot of time creating shells and expended powder canisters.  I still have a lot more to create.   Luckily sources aren't lacking, and except for some coughing and sneezing, I'm getting better.

IMG_0960.thumb.JPG.b0d048914e90da85e0f0916be48f0d47.JPG

The rifle stack was harder to make then I thought.  And I still have to put slings on the rifles.  I'll let the paint on the figures harden overnight.  Then I can start applying base colors tomorrow.

I also got the main paint down on the howitzer.  There are 3 shades of gray used, but it is hard to see them on camera.

IMG_0961.thumb.JPG.1241ef37ecefeb9105e74dfa6e045a40.JPG

IMG_0962.thumb.JPG.ec48ce92d49ed77661914d2049326a64.JPG

IMG_0963.thumb.JPG.b68875369b2da2890c1f36fc30e3589b.JPG

Happy modelling!

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

I really like this, chilling Russian winter, frost bites, traces of a human flesh frozen on the breach ( I double dog dare you to lick the gun), I can see it all :)

Thank you, Martin!  Great photos.  Not so sure about bits of flesh on the breech, though.  The slightest fleck of pink I could deliver would probably equate to half a human tongue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gaz

Really nice progress on the figures, the details and the Howitzer. Lot of work to my old eyes and all the work is going to pay off.

Most importantly, so glad you have turned the corner and are starting to feel better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Really nice progress on the figures, the details and the Howitzer. Lot of work to my old eyes and all the work is going to pay off.

Most importantly, so glad you have turned the corner and are starting to feel better.

Thank you, Peter.  My lungs still aren't very happy in cool, dry air.  Or so the sudden fits of coughing tell me.  And here I thought I was just about clear of the woods.

• Like 2

Hello friends...

Once I got the day's chores done, I turned to turning shells.  I stick an end of a piece of sprue into my Dremel, and spin it against my razor saw stripping away plastic.  Once I get the shape down, then I hit it with coarse and fine sand paper until it's smooth enough...  still turning in the Dremel.

Then I pull it out, snip it down to 15mm in length re-insert it back into the Dremel and shape and sand the bottom end.  I'd finished 8 and realizing the enormity of the task...  I'd like to have at least 30....   I realized I'd better paint some figures so that the acrylics have time to cure.

There are 15 separate articles of Field Gray clothing.  I didn't want them to blend into each other too much, so I used 7 different shades of the color.  I also painted some of the details as well.  Here is where we are now.

IMG_0965.thumb.JPG.9ba9028b5d530de297b0abfdeec50f5a.JPG

IMG_0966.thumb.JPG.0786adea35facd6024bb1a10a1ab5f1a.JPG

IMG_0969.thumb.JPG.01a1ad42943c27b6ec8dcc89f24f7c1f.JPG

IMG_0971.thumb.JPG.57d6613f2f89d160f3f3aebd58944847.JPG

You can see the turned shells and the rifle stack which has also received it's base coat of wood colors.

Happy modelling!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Thank you, Peter.  My lungs still aren't very happy in cool, dry air.  Or so the sudden fits of coughing tell me.  And here I thought I was just about clear of the woods.

Gaz

Hopefully you will be feeling better and better each day and the coughing will be a thing of the past

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gaz

You're making incredible progress on a project with so many elements and focusing on a very short deadline for your club. Figures are coming along quite nicely and then there are the shells. Any thought to casting the shells rather then turning each one, which seems to be a very long and repetitious task.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Feel better soon Gaz! Remember, feed a cold and starve a fever. When I feel a cold coming on I always take some Zicam. Works wonders!

Outstanding work on the diorama! Way more work than I'd want to undertake!:)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

You're making incredible progress on a project with so many elements and focusing on a very short deadline for your club. Figures are coming along quite nicely and then there are the shells. Any thought to casting the shells rather then turning each one, which seems to be a very long and repetitious task.

Thank you, Peter.  Although I did have some stuff for molding resin, I don't even have a pressure cooker.  The resin has probably gone off.  I tried to use the stuff I had, and it worked for some large things like large propeller hubs...   but there were always bubbles.   Pointy things were always failures.  The resin had a very short work time.  I reckon by the time I got it into the pressure cooker, it would be almost solid.

But I can see where it would be handy.

• Like 1

Figures start to look the part, Gary. Working with different shades, very much attracts the eye. You've put yourself in a bad spot with the repetitive work on the shells. I probably would have gone AM, if there exist any.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Figures start to look the part, Gary. Working with different shades, very much attracts the eye. You've put yourself in a bad spot with the repetitive work on the shells. I probably would have gone AM, if there exist any.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob!  Where there is a will, there is a way.

21 hours ago, Peterpools said:

GHaz

Got ya - just never thought of it that way and looking at how many might not be any good, the amount of time needed in the end for the shell creation is less doing it your original way.

Thank you, Peter.  I found another way to make less.

And with that...   another update.

Big hands and fine details mean slow going.  IN the end, for the shells I decided to cheat with a tarp.  But not some whimpy-ass tarp that looks like a colored bed sheet.  My USMC experience teaches that military tarps are thick, oil soaked canvas.  I used loose-leaf paper impregnated with CA to cover a portion of the shells.

IMG_0976.thumb.JPG.6eedeee7097b0e2465c25e52a07cb31d.JPG

IMG_0977.JPG.b63308cc9deb28bcfbbcc7c7d9bb00c6.JPG

Like modern shells, the shell of the day had stencils on them.  Fortunately I found a set of old decals with really tiny print on them.  I still have to paint the rotating bands on these shells.  A few lumps of snow on the part of the canvas which hasn't been folded back will break up the details.

POWDER.

IMG_0978.JPG.994a08d5aa3a56280bfd10b62f84ab8b.JPG

IMG_0979.thumb.JPG.ab54cd34b7e3bc8adfdfa110e2a7f9dc.JPG

Again...   the decal sheet was very useful.  I never throw away old decals unless they become yellowed.  They don;t say what they are supposed to say...  and hopefully nobody will be able to tell once weathered.

The crates aren't very nice.  I was struggling for a way to make them.  They are 4.5mm high and wide.  But I didn't have any way to make them look 'factory'.  Each one is a little out of square in some way or another.  Even the plastic one showing it's three charges isn't truly square.  Each one has a canvas strap at each end to make lifting easier.

Anyway...  hope to get to some more figure painting tomorrow.

Thank you for looking!

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Ingenious; and the perfect solution for your diorama. Details and weathering look so good.

5 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

As Peter said above, great solutions, amazing finish.

Thank you, fellas!

• Like 3