The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HELP!!!! Problem with decal.

CrankyCrafstman

Hey all 

As you may or may not know I'm building a 1/16 scale Panzer IV Ausf H from Trumpeter. I purchased the kit off of Ebay from a place in Germany. It seems that they opened the kit and took a black sharpie to some of the decals, the swastikas and some unit emblems. My question is can this be removed without destroying the decals? And if so how. I'm trying to do the tank in an early 1944 Normandy 3 color paint scheme with zimmerit on the hull and turret shurzen. This is proving to be quite difficult as I  can't find any pictures that show them with the zimmerit on both sets of shurzen. You find them with the turret and the turret shurzen done with zimmerit and not on the hull shurzen,  can't seem to find both. Ok rant over.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Ron G 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey all 

As you may or may not know I'm building a 1/16 scale Panzer IV Ausf H from Trumpeter. I purchased the kit off of Ebay from a place in Germany. It seems that they opened the kit and took a black sharpie to some of the decals, the swastikas and some unit emblems. My question is can this be removed without destroying the decals? And if so how. I'm trying to do the tank in an early 1944 Normandy 3 color paint scheme with zimmerit on the hull and turret shurzen. This is proving to be quite difficult as I  can't find any pictures that show them with the zimmerit on both sets of shurzen. You find them with the turret and the turret shurzen done with zimmerit and not on the hull shurzen,  can't seem to find both. Ok rant over.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Ron G 

This company makes decals for 1/16 German tanks. Otherwise try Elite Armour ebay srore or contact Trumpeter customer service.

https://www.peddinghaus-decals.de/

https://www.ebay.com/str/elitearmorproductions

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

Can you post an image of the defaced decals? With the exception of small DAK emblems,

I don't recall seeing Swastikas on ww2 german armor....except on tanks

used by Finland... I believe their swastikas were reversed.

image.png.e94c061e0702e8221f8ae0e168d6a2cd.png

Actually it's on the just the unit emblems. I tought that some where swastikas my bad.

Martin you can't tell what version panzer those were. I guess I wasn't very clear on what I was looking for. I'm trying to find tanks from the SS Panzer-regiment 12, 5 or 6 Kompanie  at Normandy fighting near Caen, France around mid June 1944.

Ron G 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Actually it's on the just the unit emblems. I tought that some where swastikas my bad.

Ron G 

Still, it seems an odd thing to do......can you still post an image of the defaced decals?

I'm just curious..... Also I hope the links I provided can be of some help.

Paul.

• Like 1

Try isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip a bit on the dry/moist side.  It worked great to get it off my sons face when I picked him up walking down the street after his 18th birthday party. 
Perfect opportunity wasted by me.  I should have taken him out to Waffle House for breakfast before telling him. 

• Like 1

Hey Paul 

Here are some photo's.

20221029_180254.jpgAs you can see they even blanked out the markings on the instruction manual.

20221029_180230.jpgView of the other side of the instructions.

20221029_180205.jpgview of the decals that are blacked out.

20221029_180036.jpgThe number 9 is the one I need.

20221029_180101.jpgCloser view of number 9. See photo below.

db2d56a6-f7fa-465b-9bde-e23e51d40890.pngThis is what I need. It's the unit emblem for Panzer-regiment 12 SS, for 5 or 6 Kompanie. I think they did it because it's an SS symbol. I started on the kit, marked out the escape hatch to cut out, drilled out the hinges for the engine deck, they didn't turn out the way I hoped, need to fix.

So that's it for now I'll post some pictures tomorrow. Bye for now.

Ron G 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Yikes! You should ask the seller to compensate you.....if it was an Ebay purchase

file a complaint. Anyway try the links i gave you Peddinghaus in particular, they may

have that. Or try to get in touch with Trumpeter......they have a Facebook page. I

think they are handled by Stevens International.... Try them. This past year I got some

replacement parts ..decals and an entire sprue.from Takom. Or you can scan Martin's

Image and make a decal from that. I've been considering makeing some decals using

my Mom's laser printer.....they sell the needed decal paper on Amazon. I just couldn't

get my tablet to work with her printer...but I'm working on it. I think, however, if you

paid for a complete kit you should have gotten it! Saying that I think you should take it

up with the seller. I know there are.....Silly.....bans on putting swastikas and the like

on models in Europe but this is ridiculous!

info@stevenshobby.com

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Yeah Paul, my toughts exactly.

Martin

How much and where do you get it?

Ron G 

You mean the decal paper?

Just have a look on Amazon....... Choose the paper that will work with your printer

Instructions can be found on the internet. I haven't bought any yet because of my

printer issue. Some paper requires the use of a spray over the printed decals. Kits

for making decals are available........Oh, that question was for Martin.

• Like 1

That’s really bizarre behaviour Ron, the other option is to make a stencil for the emblem. I’m coming to the conclusion for all AFV’s spray stencils are the way to go as decals however well they sit down always look like decals. I’m not sure if anyone does stencils in 1/16, more and more you see 1/32, have a check around or ask someone with a laser cutter…..

• Like 1

Hey Bomber

They do have some crosses, numbers some swastikas. But no emblems. There from DN, I  think that's right, but there $46.00 bucks. I'm thinking that I'm going to be hand painting them on. I can make my own masks for the crosses and numbers from the decals, I hope.

Ron G 

• Like 3