Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1/350 Trumpeter Narvik Class Zerstorer Z30 - Completed

27 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Guy, she looks great so far.

I  find most PE just has to be endured with the final result in mind.

I have also started cheating, using tacky canopy glue whenever I can to get the part in place.  Then I reinforce it with a bit of CA.

re: the railings….  At the model warship forum they recommend attaching them with CA and then running a bead of thinned PVA along the bottom to prevent them from detaching when there are temperature changes.

Thanks for the tip that's golden 👍.

I find PE a PITA , often preferring to make stuff from styrene sheet or copper sheet , both of which are easier to work   

I called it a night and did some sea stuff instead . Nice white styrofoam .....cut boat hull shape ....rough swell cut with a knife, and then the wakes planned out . Final rough shaping using a gas lighter with melts the foam naturally rather than leaving cut marks . Rolled with a rolling pin to even out . End stage one ! 

Thank you Chris Flodberg for this method.  

D525526-E-7-D5-B-43-CA-8-ED5-1-E8684628-

53-EC0163-CD7-F-4-DCC-BF24-B98908-D4-A2-

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

PITA for sure.  But the only way to get close to scale in many aspects.

Disagree buddy  . You can scratch to scale as well . I'm also dubious about a lot of PE sets as my pal Simmerit points out..... a lot of the Eduard ones for armour are often pure fiction. 🤣

Still it's only glueing bit of plaaaaaztik together after all . 

I need to get back to my FJ1200 restoration at some stage. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

Disagree buddy  . You can scratch to scale as well . I'm also dubious about a lot of PE sets as my pal Simmerit points out..... a lot of the Eduard ones for armour are often pure fiction. 🤣

Still it's only glueing bit of plaaaaaztik together after all . 

I need to get back to my FJ1200 restoration at some stage. 

Well...   I'd hate to try 1/350 railings in plastic, then.  I've tried to make various thin things in plastic...   but they usually don't have that factory look to them.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Well...   I'd hate to try 1/350 railings in plastic, then.  I've tried to make various thin things in plastic...   but they usually don't have that factory look to them.

Oops yes , you're right there. :)

Was thinking more armour stuff, track guards , stowage bins, grills etc. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

Oops yes , you're right there. :)

Was thinking more armour stuff, track guards , stowage bins, grills etc. 

You need to leave your armor zen and meditate upon the spirit of things 1/350 if you hope to reach warship Nirvana.😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/21/2023 at 12:29 AM, GazzaS said:

I remember succeeding doing railings in 1/600 for an Airfix HMS Repulse, using stretched sprue, and it looked to scale, to boot.

It was a one-of-a-kind success though, as I never managed to replicate the railings for other projects. With hindsight, it was probably the quality of the plastic sprues I used. I then found PE, and forgot about replicating the « stretched sprue experiment ».

Hubert

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Ground to a halt here ...really struggling to find any joy with this build.......... tiny blobs of plastic pretending to be detailed ....so I'm parking it on SOD for now  . I'll cycle back round in a bit and finish it off before the end of the GB but I need to go do something more intesting . It's answered my question as to whether 1/350 ships are for me ...so glad I didn't flash out $000's on a large Hood or some such . Bit like 1/72 for me - after two builds last year decided I wasn't interesting in the low levevels of detail offered by that scale either.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

• PanzerWomble changed the title to 1/350 Trumpeter Narvik Class Zerstorer Z30 - Docked at SOD for now
On 3/26/2023 at 3:58 AM, PanzerWomble said:

Ground to a halt here ...really struggling to find any joy with this build.......... tiny blobs of plastic pretending to be detailed ....so I'm parking it on SOD for now  . I'll cycle back round in a bit and finish it off before the end of the GB but I need to go do something more intesting . It's answered my question as to whether 1/350 ships are for me ...so glad I didn't flash out $000's on a large Hood or some such . Bit like 1/72 for me - after two builds last year decided I wasn't interesting in the low levevels of detail offered by that scale either.

Sorry to see you docking this.  i was looking forward to the result.  i can tell you from personal experience that the dragon kits offer a lot more detail with less blob-fakery. 

• Like 3

• PanzerWomble changed the title to 1/350 Trumpeter Narvik Class Zerstorer Z30 - Back to Sea !

And some working on the base

Covered the hull in clingfilm  and used filler to close the gap to the hull .

Covered it with tissue paper using Liquitex Acrylic Gloss Medium , mixed with some gray . Textured is fine . 

IMG-1502.jpg

IMG-1503.jpg

IMG-1150.jpg

And then you have this ...

IMG-1512.jpg

Needs about 10-12 coats of medium to build up the sea gloss....plus some white water.  

• Like 4

On 4/16/2023 at 8:13 PM, Bomber_County said:

Is there no limits to your talent……….impressive, looking forward to the finish…..

Yes- I'm a so so modeller who has learnt to take half decent pix ....it's all smoke and mirrors Phil ! 

And all done with this one now / 

Link to carefully chosen pictures 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• PanzerWomble changed the title to 1/350 Trumpeter Narvik Class Zerstorer Z30 - Completed