The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/350 Trumpeter Narvik Class Zerstorer Z30 - Completed

Okey dokey ....this is a step in an odd direction for me.

I make tanks ....and occasionally aircraft ......not ships .

Last proper ship I made was Airfix's Bismark ...in 1981 ...after reading Mullingheim-Rechberg's book .

it's battered remains as found in the attic whilst clearing out the family home last year . Even a name plate made with Letraset ...I thought this was top of my art aged 13 ( althought still think Scharnhorst is a prettier ship )

IMG-1146.jpg

IMG-1147.jpg

IMG-1148.jpg

• Like 7

So as someone else also mentioned a while ago, having modelled a lot ...I fancy having a crack at a 1/350 ship .

I built a 144 Uboot and the Revell 1/72 Sboot in the past couple of years as a "ship"warm up . Rather than plunge into a huge battleship build...whioch i'm not sure I'd finish ,  I thought I'd dip my toe into this new skill set with a smaller subject, Trumpeters Narvik class destroyer . So bring on the superglue , 20x magnifying glasses and all the other endless frustrations of building something so small. 

IMG-1140.jpg

IMG-1141.jpg

It's only 12" long ....how many parts ???

IMG-1144.jpg

IMG-1145.jpg

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

Oh yeah ...has anyone the faintest clue as to where I start ? 🤣

Sure, get some Ion Model crew figures and then some brass for the barrels. Then it's up to you, to find the perfect part for a starter among the 470. I'd go for the stand and hull, drilling out the portholes.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Sure, get some Ion Model crew figures and then some brass for the barrels. Then it's up to you, to find the perfect part for a starter among the 470. I'd go for the stand and hull, drilling out the portholes.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob  -a good call as there a no folk onboard , though will 90% go with seascape though as reasonable ok with making them . North Sea storm or calm Fjord ....?

If I drill out the portholes what next ? Leave them as holes or back them on the inside with something black ? 

Made a base & hot melted it together should allow me to work on it without moving it around  

C1316-F13-EEA0-4-E42-83-E5-22-C35636-FB9

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

If I drill out the portholes what next ? Leave them as holes or back them on the inside with something black ? 

On my USS Arizona build of the same scale, I only drilled out the portholes. As the hull is closed and dark inside this was sufficient for me, You'll need your mentioned 20x magnifier and strong lighting to see more than a black hole.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 8

Agree with Rob - at a minimum, go for upgraded brass barrels.  If your kit doesn't come with PE railings, I'd get some of those as well.  If it were me, I'd probably also look into adding pre-cut wooden decks and maybe some additional PE aftermarket like I used in my Shimakaze build (linked in my signature) or you see on Rob's current build.  

PE (and now resin) aftermarket sets make a huge difference (and is almost a must for 1/700 in my opinion), but it all depends on what you want to get out of your build.  The PE set for my Shimakaze build added at least double, and probably triple, the build time when you factor in adding all the details to guns, torpedo launchers, deck items, platforms, the bridge, etc.  You can get comprehensive sets that have almost all of the upgraded detail you need, or you can add aftermarket a la carte as you need it.  But, ship PE takes a certain level of discipline/masochism :)

• Like 5

Thanks for the useful  thoughts . Pe railings are in the kit so a given, as is the radar  . Doing a lot of PE replacement is not a thing that interests me with this build though , small steps , your Arizona build is not where I'm at today :)

Being build number 1 in 1/350 , this is test to see if I can produce something I'm happy with .... it might still end up being a lawn dart.

I'll build on skills with subsequent build it it floats my boat. ..see what I did there ? 

So mask.... paint... mask ....paint .....mask ...pain ...doesn't use up much paint though . 

801-E2-E32-D996-4-E5-E-B64-A-CF40-CF1362

634-AB001-8-A29-4-E79-A5-D6-EC39-C8-F6-D

zzz322713439-688687126281728-21025374657

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

End for tonight then . All the superstructure is loose fitted. Reckon build it up into decent sized subassemblies , paint them , add the details then fit to the hull . And then the railings???? ? oh and try to paint modulate as you go along .

Argggghhhhh all so much more fiddly than tanks .🤯esp after a bottle of wine . 

4-D2-C0401-EAC8-49-A3-BBF4-7-BCBC4-AE0-C

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

End for tonight then . All the superstructure is loose fitted. Reckon build it up into decent sized subassemblies , paint them , add the details then fit to the hull . And then the railings?

Pretty much PW I paint the railings before install and the last thing I do before hitting the deck no breakie same thing on the deck rails can always touch-up afterwards.Rob has his attached before hand me I can have fat fingers or drop the POS.;)

• Like 5

12 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

Now for something random . As a big fan of Rammstein ...I can't say the word "zestorer" without hearing this . 

Back soon .

Do love a bit of Till and the boys. One of the best live bands I've seen, they put on a helluva show. Pity I have to listen to them with headphones on as my wife can't stand them, just thinks they sound sooo aggressive.

• Like 3

Dammit man!  You are a machine!  My return to the modelling world 5-6 years ago was Dragon's Z-39 with I bashed into Z-32 at Ushant...   pardon the picture...  It took me forever to finish as I was constantly unsure of what to do.  I put 86 crew on deck at actions stations.

tadaa2_zps68ff0cdc.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

End for tonight then . All the superstructure is loose fitted. Reckon build it up into decent sized subassemblies , paint them , add the details then fit to the hull . And then the railings???? ? oh and try to paint modulate as you go along .

Argggghhhhh all so much more fiddly than tanks .🤯esp after a bottle of wine . 

4-D2-C0401-EAC8-49-A3-BBF4-7-BCBC4-AE0-C

haha...   you shouldn't drink during ship building.   Looks good, though.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, KevinM said:

Pretty much PW I paint the railings before install and the last thing I do before hitting the deck no breakie same thing on the deck rails can always touch-up afterwards.Rob has his attached before hand me I can have fat fingers or drop the POS.;)

Ah .....so thats how it's done ! 😀The instructions are next to useless for a build sequence that makes any sense . 

6 hours ago, GusMac said:

Do love a bit of Till and the boys. One of the best live bands I've seen, they put on a helluva show. Pity I have to listen to them with headphones on as my wife can't stand them, just thinks they sound sooo aggressive.

Never seen them live, one of my daughters did about 10 years ago , said much the same . I loved all the furore about their recent Deutschland release. 

6 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Dammit man!  You are a machine!  My return to the modelling world 5-6 years ago was Dragon's Z-39 with I bashed into Z-32 at Ushant...   pardon the picture...  It took me forever to finish as I was constantly unsure of what to do.  I put 86 crew on deck at actions stations.

tadaa2_zps68ff0cdc.jpg

Thats was the one you chose to start of modelling again ???? Not a 1/72 aircraft or some old Tamiya tank....??  Outstanding ...more pix please. 

haha...   you shouldn't drink during ship building.       I grew up in Plymouth and worked in the Dockyard for a while  I can categorically state that is not the case 😆

5 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Gary, 86 crew???  You ship guys are CRAZY!  PW- looking good and an interesting subject.  I thought a "zestorer" was an aircraft!!  (The BF 110, but ships too I guess).

Chris

Zerstorer just means "destroyer" 😀

5 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I still haven't taken the plunge into big ships. Just the Vosper which I'm taking a pause on and the Type XXIII. 

Nice to see others following through on the subject though and learn from them. 

Me too , so I cheated and bought a small cheap ship just in case it went Pete Tong  .....hence won't  be making a $30 model into a $100 model with lots of extras .

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

Yes but first the Spitfire today  perhaps ?🤣

Spitfire will be laid up for a couple days while the oils dry.  To bed soon...   work tomorrow...  yuck.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Looking good PW, not sure anyone bar UK based would understand the phrase going Pete Tong……….I cut my teeth with the Tamiya KGV 1/350 with White Ensign PE…….…still haven’t finished it ………the WE instructions were hand drawn and as useful as a chocolate armpit…….

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Looking good PW, not sure anyone bar UK based would understand the phrase going Pete Tong……….I cut my teeth with the Tamiya KGV 1/350 with White Ensign PE…….…still haven’t finished it ………the WE instructions were hand drawn and as useful as a chocolate armpit…….

Yes I forget occasionally , nations divided by a common language and all that ! 

I really didn't want to fork out for a big Hood or Scharnhorst before finding out I hated ships .

• Like 4

Anyway , I am not enjoying this build that much🥺 ....most of how I approach things doesn't want to play . It's all to damned small and fiddly , like 1/72 nonsense .

So here were are , built up numerous bits of superstructure . Painted them ..oh ..3 or 4 times . Painting square portholes ...who knew ?  Glued it all to the hull , and then a couple of washes because nothing I make needs to be clean or pristine .

So paint all the small bits , glue them on, enjoy the PE railings and we're done yeah ??? Hmmm let's see. I'm with Neitsche today ..

B29489-DF-CACE-4-CCA-AD9-D-EB6-A72-EC9-D

2-CDD4-EBC-34-A8-42-D0-887-C-CB26-F0-C7-

F0-DC356-D-3-DD5-4-C12-973-B-2-E0-F06-AF

• Like 5

Guy, she looks great so far.

I  find most PE just has to be endured with the final result in mind.

I have also started cheating, using tacky canopy glue whenever I can to get the part in place.  Then I reinforce it with a bit of CA.

re: the railings….  At the model warship forum they recommend attaching them with CA and then running a bead of thinned PVA along the bottom to prevent them from detaching when there are temperature changes.

• Like 2