The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Hasegawa Ki-43-II Oscar

As I rarely build Japanese subjects this one is a little out of the usual for me. Something a bit different. It looks to be a very easy build and has really nice panel line/rivet detail. It will be OOB except for seat belts which I'll have to dig up from somewhere! LOL :)

s-l500.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Cool John, are you going to do the chipped aluminium / camo look ?

I plan overall IJA green with silver undersides using one of the schemes provided for in the kit. Nothing special, etc. :)

34 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

HI John

Nice choice for your next build and as always, will be on your express train all the way :popcorn:

Should be a easy peasy build Peter. :)

• Like 1

I'm finding this one is as close to a shake and bake as I've ever worked on. LOL :) I have no doubt it will go fast which is okay as I just need something to work on until the FW-190A-8/R2 Sturmbock shows up mid-week. :)

4-16-23 001.jpg

4-16-23 003.jpg

4-16-23 002.jpg

• Like 5

More progress! I have to repeat, this is the closest I've ever come to a shake and bake kit! So far NO putty needed, just sand the join lines and that's it. This would be a great beginners kit!!! LOL 🙄

4-16-23 B 001.jpg

• Like 6

12 hours ago, JohnB said:

More progress! I have to repeat, this is the closest I've ever come to a shake and bake kit! So far NO putty needed, just sand the join lines and that's it. This would be a great beginners kit!!! LOL 🙄

Hmmmmmm you’re just saying that because you have nearly finished…….looking good…..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KevinM said:

I have built this one a couple of times John and builds up easy/nice.;)

It has surprised me with how well things fit and the simplicity of the kit. Of course, the real a/c was simple too!:)

Someone over at Cybermodeler is reading my mind! Today they have the Oscar as their featured subject! LOL

This one is going much faster than I anticipated when I started it! That's okay though as I want to get it out of the way for the '190A-8/2 kit which is supposed to deliver tomorrow. :)

• Like 1

Well here's a setback! I was in the process of masking off the yellow wing areas before painting the rest of the model. I needed to readjust the masking tape and when I pulled it off THIS happened. I wanted to test other areas to see if it was just a small isolated area but that was not the case. It's likely I can pull off a lot more if I try the rest of the yellow areas. This WON'T DO! It just might send this one to the SOD as the only way I figure I can remove all the yellow after using more tape on it is to try to clean it up with Q tips dipped in thinner which would then lead to screwing up some of the other primed areas. I'll probably give that a try and see how it goes but if it just makes things worse it's off to the SOD.

4-17-23 C 001.jpg

4-17-23 C 002.jpg

• Sad 2

After I posted those photos I decided to pull off as much paint as I could which was quite a bit more. I think the culprit was the Alclad Primer I used which was not a new bottle. I decided to ditch the old bottle of primer and I resprayed the wings with a Testor's MM gloss light gray. It appears to be fairly smooth so I'm going to let it sit over night and see what's what tomorrow. 🙄 ALWAYS SOMETHING.

• Like 1

John

Does the primer lift off the model where there isn't any yellow paint? If not, then the yellow paint reacted with the primer. If it does, then you're 100% correct and the primer is NG. 

Why take chances and just strip the primer off the model and start over with a fresh bottle of primer? 

Always something hiding around the corner, especially when everything is going too good.

John

What a fantastic recovery - looks terrific and no one would ever know the problems you had to resolve. So no primer now, just MM gloss light gray. I guessing but for your next build, you're going to be priming with a new bottle of Alclad Primer ?