The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Revell/SH Hawker Tempest in 1/32-Finished

Kev

For me, the killer and downfall has been trying to get the gear installed and it was a total failure. I've been taking notes on your build and it has helped with a lot of my questions and screwups.

Any pics will be of great help, as I can always run them through photoshop.

• Like 2

Roger that Peter.I found some more info about the Tempest undercarriage viva Mr.Edgar Brooks:Before its restoration, I saw the RAF Museum's Tempest, when it was at Cardington, and the wells were green, legs and door interiors were silver.

Edgar

• Like 4

I am finished with the other outside project came out quite nice if I say  the Wife was a big help on this one she's good at demolition.I had my seatbelts arrive today with some other goodies and with do drops for the IP tonight for the glass tomorrow is mine day all day expect some movement!:popcorn:

• Like 2

Kev

Enjoy and good luck, I'm an early riser as you but for photography.

There is normally only four hours a day for the beautiful light: an hour before and after sunrise and the hour before and after sunset. Of course, you can photography any time of the day but it's not the same. During the day, I like to shoot B&W film, as shape and form is the key and of course, not color.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Enjoy and good luck, I'm an early riser as you but for photography.

Peter those are special times of the day the Lord blessed me with a beautiful sunrise waist high in water but no fish today forgot a 10:35 HT means Full Moon should of been fishing a few days ago.;)

• Like 2

My first post tonight  is going to be about procedure and Don't Forget the Part!.I was building the nose and having some issues wondering why is was such a PITA getting part H9/H43 and H10/44 to get a good alignment within the nose cavity?I continued to build I built up E2/E3 but did not glue in yet I went an grabbed E1/E18 part of the lower fuse and front wingroot while providing a roof inside the nose...it was about 1/32" off coming out the back of the nose.I had to file E1  and sub-assembly #34 accordingly all because I forgot to install D2 in the nose which would of aided on a positive blocking plate for H9 and H10.Just a heads up it works this is one part of the build you follow the instructions to the T.I got it all worked out just extra work for me.;)

Tempest 007.JPG

Tempest 008.JPG

Tempest 009.JPG

• Like 4

The copit is complete and let me tell ya building the seatbelts well let's be Nice a chore with Quinta on the scene that skillset was weak.The belts are RB Productions with a little of Tamiya dust applied.The very rear bulkhead while tight it opened the fuse outwards tightened up the fuse/wing seam even more so me likey.I am trying to loosen the bulkhead right behind the seat with the plate it's off to the right maybe 1/32' if that WD40 and Acetone were mixed and lightly applied no luck may just live with it.:dontknow: The nose to fuse is just about as good as it gets she has had her challenges "Yes" but I have kinda enjoyed them abit(I think I am getting like Ernie :unsure:).That's all for now guys got to put in a little more work tonight on her.;)

Tempest 001.JPG

Tempest 002.JPG

Tempest 003.JPG

Tempest 004.JPG

Tempest 005.JPG

Tempest 006.JPG

• Like 5

As to the seat being off I saw the culprit most likely SH had you install the window crank at the back and it's pushing the seat some so tomorrow pull the tub and remove the crank to it's correct position.I have the Eduard kit and looked there instructions already realizing the what the answer would be just for confirmation it goes all the way to the front of the rail.Peter I plan on using the Eduard instructions as a backup to SH on the LG setup.;)

• Like 2

Kev

Thanks for the detailed photographs and procedures. The office does look mighty good and hard to believe SH never realized the issue having the window rank in the wrong spot would cause. I have the Quinta set for the Tempest II, which I'm planning to build and nearly the same kit, sometime this year and of course it does solve the seatbelt issue. 

Right with you on having a fit issue and when figuring out why, realized a part was missed.  

The primer has been applied was very little filler was needed the biggest area was were the lower wing met the fuse underneath a piece of .020" card stock was inserted and sanded.I had a little step between at the wing root R/side figured do more than good going after it.;)

Tempest 001.JPG

Tempest 002.JPG

Tempest 003.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • KevinM changed the title to Revell/SH Hawker Tempest in 1/32-Paint
On 6/18/2023 at 3:50 AM, DocRob said:

Looking good Kevin and the stripes will add a nice contrast.

Cheers Rob

12 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Looks great, Kevin.

Thanks Guys the wing stripes have been applied  look like the DK Green in application spotty/faded on the white and with the Black I applied a Fl.Black spotty and then applied Nato Black on that spotty looks good to my eyes.I now have to do the Sky green to the tail and the then the stripes do pics when complete.;)

• Like 1

• KevinM changed the title to Revell/SH Hawker Tempest in 1/32-Decals
3 hours ago, DocRob said:

Wow, beautiful Kevin, I have to rethink my NMF plans for my mark VI, it seems. 

Cheers Rob

You know Rob I can't say how much I have enjoyed this build up to this point already thinking what next?:unworthy:

• Like 2

Kev

Haven't been on the forum in a few days as medical issues for my wife and myself have been front and center and just everything else has been on pause.

Absolutely brilliant paint and decal work - so perfectly done. A flawless build to my eyes, and of course, I fully appreciate all the detailed photographs.

Seeing Johns paint work and yours done with MM enamels, I only wish there was a vendor here in the states that sold a full range of enamel colors as in the old days; I sorely miss them. I've contacted a number of overseas vendors and none will ship paints to the US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Haven't been on the forum in a few days as medical issues for my wife and myself have been front and center and just everything else has been on pause.

I figured that Peter saw the info on the P-51 thread methinks.I know the feeling when momma had her knee surgery in March 2022 it was a rough patch for about a month.I think I have this one beat.;)

4 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Love the invasion stripes, well done my friend! 

The fuse was a beotch Mike straight and curved at the same time not perfect but I bet in the field it wasn't either.:hsmack:

• Like 3