The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Revell/SH Hawker Tempest in 1/32-Finished

I started on this because no stuff came in for me today from the post man and plus been watching videos on YT of the Tempest.I watched one  last night the dedication of one being restored a Typhoon  in the UK with a sabre engine that has never been fired up yet new in the crate 80years now!!So I mentioned on another thread that slips me at the moment should/when I start this build the WW's would be the first place I venture to.I have seen builds stall when they get here even a YT vid.Well....I decided the instructions suck in this area and since they give you a Nice relief in the lower wing I started with the front piece and worked clockwise and it went together like a champ.The upper wings have already been checked for fit and it slips in like a dream.I will finish the wing and move onto the fuselage in the next couple of weeks.;)

Me-110 006.JPG

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice to hear there's a Tempest that'll have a working Sabre engine in it.

The donor plane got shot down by flak I believe one month before the end of the war and the fuse moved all about till it ended up here.The pilot the base thought was captured he showed up 4 days later on a bike he got from a farmer.The YT video is this here

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

IIRC, from other build threads I read, it’s the cockpit structure that interferes with the wing-to-fuselage joint. I may be wrong, but « forewarned is forearmed » …

Hubert

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2023 at 7:59 AM, HubertB said:

IIRC, from other build threads I read, it’s the cockpit structure that interferes with the wing-to-fuselage joint. I may be wrong, but « forewarned is forearmed » …

Hubert

Correct Hubert, when I did my SH Tempest a lot of grinding and some very bad words were uttered…………….

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Hi Kev

Absolutely correct. The only real issue I had was the horrible but colorful instructions that were completely useless for the gear and front office. I just couldn't get the gear to fit, no matter what I did and eventually, the Tempest went right past the SOD, into the bin and donated to our recycling bin and gone! Since then, I've seen builds done where the gear is on but never a clear photograph of exactly how they did it.

Took me a while to figure out the cockpit as well as the colorful instructions aren't that clear either. I still want to buy another one (no not a glutton for punishment) but would first need to see some clear photographs on how the gear should be installed. The front office wouldn't be an issue as I have the Quinta set for it.

Will be following with great interest. 🔎:popcorn:

• Like 2

Thanks Peter I can see were how the instructions would have one build the WWs outside the wing and then install was an assine way to go about when the layout is in the wing.I will once the wing is built up tape up the Fuse and see from there.;)

• Like 2

Kev

Exactly. It took me a while but I thought I finally figured out the wheel well assembly but I just couldn't get the main gear installed. More then willing to bet I screwed up the gear walls and that led to a nightmare and disaster for me.

• Like 2

I have been working this one over waiting on paint and decals to finish the 110 properly(came today).I am doing sub-assemblies just what ever hits me it should at one point come together quickly.Peter this the best you get on the pics because once the upper wing went on pieces just fit in and no real issues.I will say the base for LG's that fit in the very end kinda like a ball/socket setup were very tight and just needed to be smoothed out,thin glue and pressed in tight tight.I will spray the black control panels NATO Black  and hand paint the ones on the sidewalls that color and touch-up the frames with the green.;)

Tempest 002.JPG

Tempest 003.JPG

Tempest 006.JPG

Tempest 008.JPG

• Like 7

I got to stop on this one waiting on belts from SB usually keep them around but only have the Sutton in the stash as far as Brit stuff goes.I am not very good at dirtying stuff up it's what you get.Back to the 110.;)

Tempest 002.JPG

Tempest 003.JPG

Tempest 004.JPG

• Like 4

I am doing some work for a lady redoing her patio so little work this week but I did get some time in last evening.The fuse with the tub momentarily  fits the wing!I did have to grind/sand the inner most walls of the WW's walls and thin the outside of the tub about 30 minutes of work but all is good now.;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Kev

Coming along oh so good. Plese do me a favor and at the stage where the main gear is glued into position. a couple of closeup photographs would be greatly appreciated.

I will do my best Peter my skills at photography are weak.I always thought it was the WW's that caused the issue?:hsmack:

• Like 2