Jump to content
The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

WestLand Whirlwind 1/48 Classic AirFrames-Finnished


KevinM

Recommended Posts

This is a Nice little kit Resin,PE and Metal LG's to boot.I will be doing the AC on the box art I think it said was involved in Dieppe Raid hence the black/white recognition stripes.I probably have maybe another 3/5 CA kits in the stash to which they build up into nice representations of A/C back 15/20years ago none of the other manufactures wanted to bother with.;)

Brit 001.JPG

Brit 002.JPG

Brit 003.JPG

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is about as far as I have gotten so far with most of the resin removed from the pours,washed in soapy warm water and now all to dry overnight.I had items that needed my attention on the other side of the shop mainly 1k rds of 30cal carbine needing assembly.I think it's time for a Scotch been a long week extra hours at work OT and in the shop some Jura might find a glass tonight.;)

Builds2 001.JPG

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kev

Looking good and good prep work is always important. I always go a few steps further with resin to be on the safe side:

Cut and sand all the parts in water or very wet to keep the dust down.

Wash down the bench area when done.  

I wear a surgical mask to prevent breathing in any of the dust, as I'm as careful as I can be these days.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, JohnB said:

I built that kit a few years ago and it turned out very well. I think you will enjoy the build. :)

Thanks John just about finished with the office only seatbelts left.John do remember if you glued the sides to the floor or put sides to the fuse? I am trying to figure were the sides go on the fuse no marks of course.:hsmack:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, KevinM said:

Thanks John just about finished with the office only seatbelts left.John do remember if you glued the sides to the floor or put sides to the fuse? I am trying to figure were the sides go on the fuse no marks of course.:hsmack:

I don't remember for sure Kevin but I probably glued them to the floor then set that assembly in place. Sounds like a good approach. :)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well she has had her moments for me seems everything has to happen 3X times to get it right.The sidewalls I glued to the fuse to get a tight fit along the top ledge but I started by gluing in the IP first to the L/side.This part of the build was 3X in the position of the S/walls which in turn determines the position of the pilot seat,I was always to far back..The canopy framing tells one were the pilot is to be located.I started building the wing as per instructions it offset everything had to rip it apart  and start with the lower center section to the fuse and work my way out.The wings fit OK going to be a little filler but the undersides had a .030" gap about nothing to complicated just another hurdle to overcome.I screw the pooch on the battery tray behind the seat and it whole not budge our break loose just said screw it once it hits the cabinet that's the end of that visual.I am going to finish this guy warts and all.;)

Brit 001.JPG

Brit 002.JPG

Brit 003.JPG

Brit 004.JPG

Brit 005.JPG

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kev

Nice progress and I know the feel oh so well of doing everything three times before it's right. Good plan on handling the battery tray behind the seat, as sometimes it's best to move and keep going, as finishing is the goal and top of the list of importance. 😉

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, KevinM said:

Well she has had her moments for me seems everything has to happen 3X times to get it right.The sidewalls I glued to the fuse to get a tight fit along the top ledge but I started by gluing in the IP first to the L/side.This part of the build was 3X in the position of the S/walls which in turn determines the position of the pilot seat,I was always to far back..The canopy framing tells one were the pilot is to be located.I started building the wing as per instructions it offset everything had to rip it apart  and start with the lower center section to the fuse and work my way out.The wings fit OK going to be a little filler but the undersides had a .030" gap about nothing to complicated just another hurdle to overcome.I screw the pooch on the battery tray behind the seat and it whole not budge our break loose just said screw it once it hits the cabinet that's the end of that visual.I am going to finish this guy warts and all.;)

Brit 001.JPG

Brit 002.JPG

Brit 003.JPG

Brit 004.JPG

Brit 005.JPG

Don't feel left out Kevin. I frequently have to re-do something I fouled up and it can be very aggravating to say the least! Hang in there and beat that sucker! I look forward to seeing your finished model. :)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JohnB said:

Hang in there and beat that sucker! I look forward to seeing your finished model. :)

Thanks John and plan doing just that John.I think in the end she will still make a Nice representation of the WhirlWind.;)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Kev

Glad she is back on track and looking good. Sometimes for me, the best way to go when something has gone amiss; just do what you did and get right back in the saddle. She is looking mighty good.

Most of my builds seem to nearly always have those roadblocks these days. :construction:

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Peterpools said:

She is looking mighty good.

Thanks Peter clear coated now waiting for this evening for decals.I am rearranging the office ATTM have an idea for a new 4' table wall mounted ........1/200 ScharnHorst home for the next 1/2 years.;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kev

Nice progress on the Whirlwind. I'm about in the same stage of construction and painting with my Sea Fury now and all the masking as every bit of the paint work is hard edge and masked and then the ID invasion stripes ... hour after hour, day after day and rolls of Tamiya tape for a 48th scale kit.:wallbash: Update coming soon

Your environmental/studio prep set up is looking mighty good.  Where and how do you actually paint huge ship models?

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Where and how do you actually paint huge ship models?

I have a 4' Gato sub took a lot of paint did it by spray cans colors I thought was close.The ship I will spray right there in the room low presser may take an hour or two.I use a mix of tapes for good curves Tamy everything else mainly green painter tape lower stick yellow is even yes we sell a bit in the auto industry.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well the decals were glossed and then flatten with Testors flat took quite a few coats.The LG's are built just a little whittling looks to be in order to fit already tested on one leg.To be honest starting to get a little bored with the build but need to finish and move on.;)

Brit 001.JPG

Brit 002.JPG

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Following this build with interest - The other decal option for this one is 263 Sdn...which fits in with my interests in RAF Harrowbeer in Devon . I'm slowly building aircraft that served on the (now deserted) airfield I used to visit as a child and where I learnt to drive. I might cheat and go with the bugle outfit rather than tackle this one . 🫣

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

airfield I used to visit as a child and where I learnt to drive.

That's neat Guy my father served over there with the 92nd BG went on less than five missions was assigned to command HQ duties as the main radio operator on the base.I had a nice tumble tonight parked the truck incline opened the door and wa-la I stepped out and it started rolling.I tied to brake just to damn fast ran over my own L/ankle when the door passed me it flipped me over and the following impact two knuckles on the R/hand impacted concrete.I tried to catch the front bumper but said F'it it stopped about 12' in my neighbors yard across the street.My right calf is sore as well as the middle of the right side of the back from the flip.I unlock the door and the F'in key jams in the lock I go "aw F me" I am bleeding and wore out some serious little demons out tonight.:hsmack:

I took 600mg Ibuprofen now all I need is a good Scotch!!!!!:wtf:

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...