Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

HK A-20G

• Administrators

Gotta make the lower turret frame and gun supports a darker green, it seems.

All the glass is just sitting there. Nothing is glued. Rear dorsal skyline has internal framing.  It’s sitting in there a bit cockeyed right now, so I’ll get it all out and it’ll be the last to install  

5637044E-8E67-43F8-BD1A-FECD45D792D5.jpeg

717EF8CC-348A-4BB9-AAA9-FEA44D3DD420.jpeg

• Like 8

• Administrators

Haha @ Kevin. 
In other news, I’m getting close to the end on this one. 
tomorrow I do the props, and then stick it all together. 
Primed and gave the props a coat of aluminum tonight  that way, I can rub the rear tips down after they’re topcoated

8531C1D0-3920-4B66-B114-54942BFF8144.jpeg

• Like 6

Ernie

I'm just blown away. Love the subtle weathering and the used but cared for service look. Nope, can't agree there really isn't any such thing as an ugly airplane to a pilot's eye - some may not be as beautiful and elegant as others but give it wings and a prop or two and she sure is beautiful.

WOW. thanks for all the 'build start' photographs, as they really highlight all the work this baby has required. The front office looks awesome and completely agree with Peter's update set; it's gorgeous for sure.

One question regarding the nose gear - which way did you go: kit or metal AM? I'll be buying an A-20 not to far down the line and am very unsure which way to go.

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 hours ago, KevinM said:

:o "Stop the Presses" Time to build another Ernie in a Dio "Fancy Pants"!!

As good as the B-24 was over Europe, it was outshone in a Europe by the B-17, that had its perfect mission there.  The B-24 out shone the B-17 in almost every other theatre of operations, though, from sub Hunter/Killer, to the MTO, CBI, and of course, the PTO where it absolutely came into its own. 
The B-17 wasn’t even close. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Ernie

I'm just blown away. Love the subtle weathering and the used but cared for service look. Nope, can't agree there really isn't any such thing as an ugly airplane to a pilot's eye - some may not be as beautiful and elegant as others but give it wings and a prop or two and she sure is beautiful.

WOW. thanks for all the 'build start' photographs, as they really highlight all the work this baby has required. The front office looks awesome and completely agree with Peter's update set; it's gorgeous for sure.

One question regarding the nose gear - which way did you go: kit or metal AM? I'll be buying an A-20 not to far down the line and am very unsure which way to go.

Peter, the kit nose hear is MORE than strong enough.  The nose gear is very lightly loaded once the kit is complete.  The noseweights supplied are perfect for the task. Just make sure you install both sides.

I do recommend Brassin wheels for this one, as well as Quinta or Airscale  the kit panel is, ummm, iffy. And use HGW belts.  PE belts SUCK

• Like 3

• Administrators

One other thing on the kit nosegear, or any nosegear for that matter.  The nosegear, through design, has to be added when you build up the nosewheel well.  Which means it’s sticking out through almost the entire build.  I’ve broken mine twice already, and put it all back together. Life goes on.  If your careful, you’ll make it through 95% of the build before you break it. 😂

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Thanks Ernie

Got ya. I was just a bit leery as Nige was so overly concerned about it and I had the distinct feeling the kit nose gear would fail. Seeing how you're happy with the kit nose gear, I'll go that way.

Yup, I've broken more then my share of nose and min gear legs during construction, always being my fault as ten fingers seem to get tangled with them way to often. 😉

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 11/27/2023 at 10:40 PM, BlrwestSiR said:

Man, that looks really. Can't wait to see the finished pics. 

I remember buying the old AMT one in 1/48 but never built it. Somehow I lost the kit. Never figured out what happened to it. 

Lots of light reflections, but it looks really nice.  I like it 

• Like 3

• Administrators

Another pic. Gotta finish the props, weather them, add gear doors and the post gunsight. Then I’ll put her up, let her sit a month, come back, and giver her a once over for missing stuff.  Fix those, and we’re done.  I expect this’ll be at a local hobby shop come January. 

483B16AA-A2EF-4734-AAF7-EE0351B46D32.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Well, it’s been a journey!  I have a bit of work to do underneath regarding grime and grunge, plus the formation lights, but I’m almost ready to call this one done.  Except for the bomb bay doors.  They’ve grown a pair of legs, but will show up.

Sorry for the dust, especially on the glass.  Trust me, it’s not overspray, just dust. Remember, these are just some quick snaps.  I’m overall quite happy with how she’s turning out. 

E5ACAEFC-D961-42D5-93B6-B3FA07B1A1C8.jpeg

E94CB38C-3B40-432D-84B3-27123081404C.jpeg

90130B64-4C5B-40EF-AD44-67063EDED6CA.jpeg

E70F9B73-FBD4-4A1D-843D-21183201B243.jpeg

450C9279-B202-4F14-83E7-E697A3CDD6F0.jpeg

E1D8BF63-1A41-4D5B-A616-69266F06E142.jpeg

102CF245-4390-4EC4-8332-1E61E95BB9CF.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Ernie

Yup, it's been an enjoyable and rewarding journey for those of us on board and following your progress. Take it from a guy who spends a lot of bench time looking for parts and yes, somehow, they always seem to show up. 

Awesome work for sure🏆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Ernie

Yup, it's been an enjoyable and rewarding journey for those of us on board and following your progress. Take it from a guy who spends a lot of bench time looking for parts and yes, somehow, they always seem to show up. 

Awesome work for sure🏆

Thanks, Peter!  It’s maddening, but expected.  We’ll deal with it, to the point of buying a sprue if needed. 

• Like 2