Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

HK A-20G

Ernie

WOW, looking mighty good and you surely have made a lot of progress on the Havoc. I've been following Nigel's progress on his (Nigel's Modelling Bench) and he spent a huge amount of time on the cockpit - building it three times: stock, with Eduards upgrade PE set and then with Airscale' detail set.  What's your take on the front office for detailing out of the box?

:construction: 

• Like 1

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Ernie

WOW, looking mighty good and you surely have made a lot of progress on the Havoc. I've been following Nigel's progress on his (Nigel's Modelling Bench) and he spent a huge amount of time on the cockpit - building it three times: stock, with Eduards upgrade PE set and then with Airscale' detail set.  What's your take on the front office for detailing out of the box?

:construction: 

I spent a ton of time on it as well.  I started with 3D decals, stopped, and then redid it with individual Airscale instrument decals. Before Airscale brought their kit out. I didn’t go as far as Nigel, simply because I didn’t want to.  But it looks good enough to me  

I used an ASK 3D seat, although I could have easily salvaged and doctored up the kit seat.  My biggest change was to toss the kit engines and graft on the Resin2Detail engine faces. The kit parts a the same R2600s as in the B-25, and I’m no fan.

My biggest goal here was to get a good sun faded blotchy brown hued exterior, and go from there. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

The kit parts a the same R2600s as in the B-25, and I’m no fan.

Looking good Ernie and am I spying some modulation in that OD scheme?As to the engines I thought they worked out Nice once doctored up a bit but could see weras some 3D print could add a Nice accent.:unworthy:

• Like 3

• Administrators
5 hours ago, KevinM said:

Looking good Ernie and am I spying some modulation in that OD scheme?As to the engines I thought they worked out Nice once doctored up a bit but could see weras some 3D print could add a Nice accent.:unworthy:

We played with various lightening tones to break up the monotony without going att patchwork. 
I think it’s starting to look the part 

• Like 6

• Administrators

Lots of progress here. Plenty of different shades of OD going on, which all disappears under a gloss coat.  
of course, we painted most of the markings, so why I cleared the entire thing is beyond me. 
after this we get dullcoat, then oils and powders.

the stares and bars almost look too vivid, but they’re actually a very light grey. 

0B6C2678-1767-4711-9400-0763B47A48CD.jpeg

305A096A-6630-488B-A687-565A099208C5.jpeg

F059CAEE-1333-4E83-8D17-0B37E147F348.jpeg

• Like 11

• Administrators

Thanks folks!  We’re just having fun, trying a few pastels on the center section to see what we have happening here.  
obviously I haven’t yet messed with the cowls or anything but the center section.  That seems to have often taken a beating in service.

I think it’s a fair bit heavy handed and too broadly based, but the nice thing about pastels is that you can take them off, plus they tend to disappear under a clear seal coat. 

5114EB6C-F808-4168-8969-2EC712E7F29A.jpeg

• Like 10