The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

TBD-1

recon

Correct, the more I dug in the more I had to modified and correct. It is a "six feet" model, looks ok from that distance. The whole package ended up with Smithy. The Airscale treatment helps a lot, then you have to find replacement torpedo and completely rebuild the belly area where the torpedo protrudes into the fuselage, rivet detail is halfway done, many covers are misshapen or omitted completely.  In my opinion it's a half-baked cookie. 

• Like 1

I have the kit and nearly the full AirScale set of upgrades and ANYZ 3D printed details for the cockpit. In reality the Devastator isn't a new kit but a decade plus old release that took a long time to hit the hobby shop shelves. It surely is an older Trumpeter engineered kit with problems ... following Martin's thoughts here. The only other upgrade I plan on buying before building is a set of the new Yellow Wing decals as there are a lot wrong with the kits' decals from the reviews I've seen.  Other then that, I'm going with what's in the box. 

We all jumped on the kit as the pent-up demand just grew and grew over the years ... unfortunately what was in the box reflected Trumpeter's 'state of the art' back then and not now.:hsmack:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I’m not that much of an accuracy detail guy when it comes to models.  Sure, I like to do the best I can.  I’ll correct major boogers like the A-7 came with.  
But I read the “correction” list for the Tamiya phantoms years ago and decided “Ain’t got no time for all that” and just build my kits.  Sure, I’ll sand off some of the inaccurate battle damage panels or use AM intakes.  But accuracy can be overwhelming and take the fun out of kit building. 
I’m working on a big Blue Angels phantom right now.  Just looking at pics online I’ve overwhelmed myself with just removing antennas and bulges I assume are antennas that were not on the Blues.  

But if complete accuracy is your thing, I get it 100%.   It’s a shame to find out this was an early Trumpeter effort never released until now. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

I’m not that much of an accuracy detail guy when it comes to models.  Sure, I like to do the best I can.  I’ll correct major boogers like the A-7 came with.  
But I read the “correction” list for the Tamiya phantoms years ago and decided “Ain’t got no time for all that” and just build my kits.  Sure, I’ll sand off some of the inaccurate battle damage panels or use AM intakes.  But accuracy can be overwhelming and take the fun out of kit building. 
I’m working on a big Blue Angels phantom right now.  Just looking at pics online I’ve overwhelmed myself with just removing antennas and bulges I assume are antennas that were not on the Blues.  

But if complete accuracy is your thing, I get it 100%.   It’s a shame to find out this was an early Trumpeter effort never released until now. 

Scott

I feel pretty much as you, as I'm not an accuracy guy - I always try to upgrade the front office of any kit, get the colors and markings right and I'm a happy capper. My only point was, most likely not well expressed, even though the kit is a new release, it's engineering and design reflects the technology of a good many years ago and not to expect it to be the equal of today's kits. I'm just happy the Devastator was released and plan on building and enjoying the kit. 

• Like 1