The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/35 Sd.Kfz.7/1 2cm Flakvierling 38 auf Selbstfahrlafette - Dragon

Time to start some armour again. With P51D , Mosquito and A6M2 Zero in the booth a person always need a build also happening. Having built the Flammpanzerwagen half track, wanted to have another half track in the collection. 

IMG_0289.thumb.jpeg.ee3c15d2e4984ce898c2ccc301669891.jpeg

Borrowed form PMMS - 

The 2cm Flakvierling 38 auf Selbstfahrlafette Sd.Kfz.7/1 resulted from combining the 2cm Flakvierling 38 with four Flak38 guns to the Sd.Kfz.7 half-track to allow greater mobility and firepower with the Sd.Kfz.7/1 carrying 600 2cm rounds on board and a further 1800 rounds in the towed Sd.Ah.56 trailer. The initial Sd.Kfz.7/1 had the Flakvierling 38 mounted on a central pivot mounting with later vehicles using the standard Flakvierling ground mounting secured by rachets on the rear bed. The later versions also included an armoured cab to better protect the crews.

This is a stunning kit of 380 odd parts and Magic Tracks, the mouldings are very fine details. The only AM I’m adding is the Master brass barrels. This is where I am……

IMG_0288.thumb.jpeg.e9681c9a07fefde458f6366b80ed12f7.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

I had the Trumpy 37mm version .....but .....four parts to a track link .....200 links a side .....no metal AM available .....got "sold unmade" 🫠

Good Luck !

temp-Imagef-L96-W0.jpg

Guy sometimes it's required punishment for one to go through like a calling just behave like those Nuns who hand whip themselves across the back.:rolleyes:

• Sad 2

17 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

I had the Trumpy 37mm version .....but .....four parts to a track link .....200 links a side .....no metal AM available .....got "sold unmade" 🫠

Good Luck !

temp-Imagef-L96-W0.jpg

I think I’d even baulk at that, Magic Tracks are the best out there for moulded track links. The price of AM tracks is getting ridiculous, almost half the cost again of the kit……

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In between re-prepping the P51D and Tamiya Mosquito for the booth. I really must get some proper lights for spraying as winter months are not good for seeing whilst spraying. 

So in the meantime been pushing on with the Flakvierling. I ground out the rear of the radiator to express the grill, slow job but I think worth it. Lots of wheels to spray and weather, really want a rolling chassis complete before starting on the upper deck…..most of this disappears unfortunately…….

IMG_0345.thumb.jpeg.624028527af881e349c4d70e31949d01.jpeg

IMG_0344.thumb.jpeg.3c0eccad753dea82ad6156154a94fa78.jpeg

• Like 8

The 1/35 Sd.Kfz.7/1 2cm Flakvierling 38 auf Selbstfahrlafette model by Dragon is an exceptional kit. Its meticulous detailing, accurate representation of the self-propelled anti-aircraft gun, and high-quality craftsmanship make it a must-have for model enthusiasts and history buffs alike.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jackster said:

Very nice work Phil, I have the Tamiya one in my stash with the Eduard PE. Looking forward to giving that a go at some point.

Cheers

Kev

Thanks Kev, I’ve really become a devotee of Dragon AFV’s, I know the instructions are complete rubbish and no colour call-outs but the detail they pack in is amazing. Be interested to see the Tamiya equivalent when you build it.  I have the Tamiya Famo and trailer waiting in the stash so seeing how Tamiya’s half tracks go together would be good……..

• Like 1

Great work Phil, that´s as close to F1 kits as you can get with armor, being all open. You see, its only a small step and brighter colors :D (and no carbon decals).

Cheers Rob 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 2:33 PM, DocRob said:

Great work Phil, that´s as close to F1 kits as you can get with armor, being all open. You see, its only a small step and brighter colors :D (and no carbon decals).

Cheers Rob 

Rob, much appreciated, I’m really liking these half tracks and especially the Dragon ones. Their detailing is amazing, I was toying with the idea of adding more but it will ever be seen, unfortunately. I keep looking at the F1’s but you’re right everything is one show so needs a different approach…..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This turning out to be update Thursday…….slowly getting the flak half track together. Painting sequence now needs some thought…….I reckon chassis and tracks and then the  body and then 20mm’s ……these do require some thought……

IMG_0365.thumb.jpeg.73cab0c7cce4f5a86636a1adeb8dd25b.jpeg

IMG_0366.thumb.jpeg.9789b22bdb713eb4d0e0261af0c0a928.jpeg

• Like 4

16 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

Looking good !! Looks light years ahead of the old Tamiya clonk . 

Thanks PW, I’ve given up building Tamiya AFV’s , compared with the likes of Dragon and RFM they are just lacking detailing…….I have got their Famo and trailer as it’s the only one on the market, saying that probably the Dragon Famo is better……..hmmmmm

• 1 month later...

Dropped back on this for a bit, added the beautiful Master barrels. The tracks were a pain but no way was I going to double the price of the kit by adding AM metal ones……..if you you are methodical the Magic Tracks do look the business…….

IMG_8013.thumb.jpeg.0a5e059cc192bac9ccb180e882a90e09.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Seems all my builds are coming to an end. This is now ready for the spray booth. Halftracks are notoriously difficult to spray as a completed unit. So next weekend (back to the workstation) booth and fun to be had………the kit came with the 20mm trailer so I am scratch building that into an ammunition trailer………..the metallic finish on the flak unit is so I can blow German grey over it and weather back to metal, I hope…….

IMG_8069.thumb.jpeg.aaf5c234cc7f6bf862312b5c787b5c22.jpeg

• Like 3