The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/25 Kenworth Alaska Hauler Conversion

Jeff

Here is my version of an Alaskan Hauler............ for those who don't know, the Alaska Hauler ( the real ones) were built in Burnaby British Columbia, at the Kenworth plant back in the day, Kenworths are now built in Renton Washington, Chillicothe Ohio, Ste. Therese, Quebec......... Alaska Haulers were only built for a short time, they are VERY heavy and all steel.....Hill and Hill were users of Alaskan Haulers.... this is my personal take on a heavy haul Alaskan Hauler..... lots of extras on this one, all plumbed with airlines and valves that were taken from a 1971 Kenworth W 900 schematic, aftermarket conversion kit from Auslowe in Australia, resin air valves, aftermarket Dayton rims and big lug drive wheels and tires, and Dayton rim and Heavy lug floats on the front axle, elecrical cable, air lines and glad hands, resin cinches and real metal tie down chains and hooks, also an added Warn Winch, fuel tank straps scratch made with bolts, trailer slides on rear of frame, back dated battery box cover, added a frame step, added fender flares, and changed out the stock dual Kenworth Air cleanerd to a single  Larger Donaldson unit. then added the mud and dirt to look a bit used.....but NOT abused, and lastly a Yukon plate...

Truck 3.jpg

Truck 8.jpg

Truck 1.jpg

Truck 2.jpg

Truck 4.jpg

Truck 6.jpg

Truck 7.jpg

• Like 7

That's pretty cool and coming from a fella who's had 7 yrs in  an automotive machine shop and another 3o+ in the parts business.I have a tough time getting excited enough to post on vehicles these days but the build and weathering look legit.The other thing was the windshield/wiper effect?cool! and the front bumper rocksalt rust eater effect.:unworthy:

• Like 2

Thanks Kevin , I was striving for some realisim with the weathering, having been a heavy equipment operator and truck driver for almost 40 years, I wanted to tap into that experience. You are very correct about looking legit and it is easy to over or under do it. The weathering took days for me to do with restraint in mind. Glad you think this is close to the mark.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Jeff stunning build, great to see these types of builds……

Thanks ,Phil. Big trucks are my passion. Sat in them for almost 40 years. I love the old school ones best. My back, on the other hand will tell you something different though🤭🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey Jeff 

This is ASSUME! You really hit the realism on the head. Great detail work. I used to drive, about 45 years ago! I drove a old Diamond T Reo with twin sticks (4 x 4). It would move along on the flat, but if I hit any kind of hill or rise, she would drop down to almost a stop...lol. I'm planning on doing all the bells and whistles on the Kenworth K100.

Ron G 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey Jeff 

This is ASSUME! You really hit the realism on the head. Great detail work. I used to drive, about 45 years ago! I drove a old Diamond T Reo with twin sticks (4 x 4). It would move along on the flat, but if I hit any kind of hill or rise, she would drop down to almost a stop...lol. I'm planning on doing all the bells and whistles on the Kenworth K100.

Ron G 

Thanks Ron ! Yeah my first ride was a Ford Louisville 225 Cat and two sticks 5&4. Those were the days. ! 18 speeds are where my heart is now. I kept both trannys in this model, was going to drop a 15 spd into it but decided as it was to represent a heavy haul in the north of Canada an old school two sticker would probably what should be used.  Thanks for your kind comments. 

• Like 1