The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/72 Unterseebooten ...A hole in the sea ....

PanzerWomble

image.jpeg.acc786482557eb0727c22b04d5c5074f.jpeg

I would say grey/brown/red/blue/turquoise/grey blended and defused with sharp outside edge would work. it's merely a reflection on the water surface.

• Like 3

My weekend ..spent layering gloss medium . As dull as it looks . It's white till it cures to clear ., about 30 minutes , then another layer.... For some reason it's producing bubbles , maybe the underlying foam , maybe just natural degassing ? Either way I'm having to pop bubbles with a lighter, shades of chasing bubbles in epoxy waterscapes. Few more layers then start with foam , and then putting the U Boat in position .....getting there slowly. 

IMG-4617.jpg

• Like 4

Looking good, PW. I only once worked with clear two component epoxy and the manual said to not apply layers of more than one cm, because if you pour it thicker, it develops warmth as part of the hardening reaction, which results in bubbles. Blowing over the surface with a hairdryer also helps.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Looking good, PW. I only once worked with clear two component epoxy and the manual said to not apply layers of more than one cm, because if you pour it thicker, it develops warmth as part of the hardening reaction, which results in bubbles. Blowing over the surface with a hairdryer also helps.

Cheers Rob

😆Oh I know that one for sure😆 ...done a few epoxy water dios over the years , a very quick way of ruining an otherwise nice model & diorama.

Leaks , exothermic bubbling , melting foam . .....ah the stuff is such fun . The answer is probably slow cure resin but then you run the risk of leaks / dust ...grrrrr ...lining the bed with aluminium foil worked well for me as a barrier between the foam and the epoxy. 

Plus, as hard as it is to get correct, they never sell ....go figure ??? I stopped bothering in the end . 🙄

• Like 3

11 hours ago, KevinM said:

The process......you going over the clear with some acrylics?I have only done one water scape a 1/700 Indianapolis is was so/so.:unworthy:

I blame Chris Flodberg , his wonderful technique is here:-

Link

Obvs I used foam approach not the oats thing . 

His Yamato 

temp-Image-Xo3o-Or.avif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guy

Just go slow and the water will come out looking mighty good. back in my model railroading days, I modeled lots of water and by keeping the layers thin and letting each layer thoroughly dry, bubbles were not much of a problem but needed to be dealt with as you are doing right away. 

Looking mighty good.:construction:

• Like 2