The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/72 Unterseebooten ...A hole in the sea ....

PanzerWomble

I've had this sat under the bed for a few moths since picking it up second hand and un started for a nice price back in Autumn . I've done Revells 1/72 S-boot , that was a nice build , I did their 1/144 U-Boat too, and that was nice if small. This thing is 3 feet long , not wildly detailed , but a great canvass to make it look like it's on it's 10 patrol in the North Atlantic.

The kit has the feel of being pantographed up from a smaller scale , where the parts count are the same and everything feels a bit "clunky" . Odd as this is not the case ; the 1/144 came out in 2006 after this 2003 release . There are no accessories crew torpedoes etc , no PE ,no real options for build other than as a monolithic chunk. 

I've been kicking around what to do with this , there was a diorama of a sinking u-boat called "Drowning Wolf" by a guy called Scott Withers that took my fancy , or could go full length and have it ploughing through the swell . I'll build it and then decide. 

25442820-10215232125461037-1110523817296

First drop is drilling .....clearing out all through the moulded holes , a nice simple job for a Sunday afternoon..

image.jpg

• Like 9

This build grinds on like a dull patrol in the rain . 

It's in one lump, primed mostly "body in white" ...needs construction finishing and then can go for paint . TBH it feels very "toy" to me , everything looks too chunky, the fit isn't wonderful , and it's not enthusing me much . I feel the same about 1/16 tanks ....just doesn't do it for me . Anyway whining aside here's where we are today .

temp-Image-ZOt-ZYV.jpg

• Like 8

Hmm.  Ok, good to know about the kit, thanks for sharing.  I have the Revell 1:72 Type IX C/40 (U 190) kit in my closet.  183 parts!  I'm almost afraid to open it up and start on it as I don't know where I would put it IF I finished it.  :blink: 

• Like 2

On 1/17/2024 at 4:02 PM, CANicoll said:

Hmm.  Ok, good to know about the kit, thanks for sharing.  I have the Revell 1:72 Type IX C/40 (U 190) kit in my closet.  183 parts!  I'm almost afraid to open it up and start on it as I don't know where I would put it IF I finished it.  :blink: 

Small shelf and over a doorway!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back on the das Boot . 

Most construction bar the guns done . Blown over with a can of grey primer . Next filling holes etc  then dig out a 0.5 airbrush for the paint job . Straightforward enough as it is pretty uniform . Oh and probably saw it in half ....

IMG-4407.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just in case your curious , this is what I use for the oil work . Dedicated brushes , liquin to aid drying , and odourless spirit . Not shown- small travel hairdryer to speed up drying . Once it's down and dry I typically matt varnish over the top to stop smearing . 

image.jpg

• Like 6

• Administrators

An awesome build!   I've wanted to do some of these 1/72 boats, but never really got there.

That drowning wolf picture.... I can't take my eyes off it.  Thinking of the few guys most likely trapped in what will very quickly become their own steel coffin, courtesy of the Royal Navy.   War IS hell.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

An awesome build!   I've wanted to do some of these 1/72 boats, but never really got there.

That drowning wolf picture.... I can't take my eyes off it.  Thinking of the few guys most likely trapped in what will very quickly become their own steel coffin, courtesy of the Royal Navy.   War IS hell.

The book Das Boot points out 39,000 u-boat men went to sea ...32,000 didn't come back . Thats worse odds than the RAF's Bomber Command . 

I need to come up with a variation on this work  , I like the overall presentation but too close a straight copy seems ....naff. 

Also large sheet of foam on the way ...

• Like 4

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

The book Das Boot points out 39,000 u-boat men went to sea ...32,000 didn't come back . Thats worse odds than the RAF's Bomber Command . 

I need to come up with a variation on this work  , I like the overall presentation but too close a straight copy seems ....naff. 

Also large sheet of foam on the way ...

Yep.  We saw them as the enemy, but they were just young men like ouir guys doing their job.  I can think of no worse way to go...

I'm really looking forward to see what uou do with this..

E

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Yep.  We saw them as the enemy, but they were just young men like ouir guys doing their job.  I can think of no worse way to go...

I'm really looking forward to see what you do with this..

E

Um....saw it in half I think  ....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wish I could be that brave Guy when doing the staining I fear the F'up.You know the scene I always wanted to do or be cool is "The Band of Brothers" Caraten scene the tank coming over the Hill before the Sherman's showed up it have to be 1/72 though.:hsmack:

• Like 4

18 hours ago, KevinM said:

I wish I could be that brave Guy when doing the staining I fear the F'up.You know the scene I always wanted to do or be cool is "The Band of Brothers" Caraten scene the tank coming over the Hill before the Sherman's showed up it have to be 1/72 though.:hsmack:

That the joy of oils , you've got 12 -24 hours to correct and go back . I find after the first application it always looks a bit mickey mouse, so you go back and tone it down once or twice and then done. If you hate it , turps and a rag removes it all & start again . 

Also 

I has foam sea now ...

temp-Image-YUJuc-V.jpg

• Like 6

Guy,  The oil weathering looks terrific.  I know these boats were heavily used (and abused) but I like how you used the oils.  Thanks a million for showing WHAT oils you used as well.

Chris

• Like 4

Man, that’s looking great.  When I weathered mine I screwed the pooch when I shot on the final flat clear.  When it dried it looked like I had sprinkled talc all over it.  
I had to start all over again.  
Lesson learned that day!  One coat of flat clear at a time and let it dry!  

• Like 5