Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Tamiya 1/48 F-14A; Update: 4/19/24 - DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

Thanks Carl. very much appreciated. I'm right now in the midst of doing all the leading edges in a NMF using the new Vallejo metallics (for at least me). Hopefully after the next few days, the drain on my Tamiya tape supply will greatly ease up.

:construction:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Scott. I'm right with you and after the Big Cat is done, I'll be placing a refill order for Tamiya tape many rolls to be sure.

:construction:

Peter, Check out the ZM tape from SprueBros...  It is a lot less expensive than the Tamiya tape and I can't tell the difference. 

• Like 3

POLISHED ALUMINUM LEADING EDGES

Time for the last of the major air brush color work

All the leading edges were masked out with loads of Tamiya Tape, MRP Super Gloss Black being used for the base coat and then I dove in using the new Vallejo Metal Colors; Aluminum (acrylic based).

The Positive: Virtually no order at all and a nice smooth aluminum color.

The negative: The Vallejo Metallics have a more of a paint feel and look as compared to Alclad and AK metals and just seem to not appear as metallic. 

This was a good test and right now, after spending $50 on the Vallejo Metals, more testing will be needed, and I am planning on using them for an upcoming Eduard P-51D Mustang project.

Next up: the decal process.  

WJWtSf.jpg

rxkVoz.jpg

• Like 11

• Peterpools changed the title to Tamiya 1/48 F-14A; Update: 4/5/24 - Aluminum leading Edges

Thanks John, much appreciated. For me there is a nice use for the Vallejo Metallics, but they don't seem to be up to the equal of Alclad and AK in duplicating a metal surface.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Thanks John, much appreciated. For me there is a nice use for the Vallejo Metallics, but they don't seem to be up to the equal of Alclad and AK in duplicating a metal surface.   

Hard to beat that Alclad.:)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Not quite perfect as Alclad, but for an acrylic I think they do a pretty good job.  You are probably more precise than I am on that.  You have a terrific eye for detail and finish.

• Like 3

Thanks Chris and I'm right with you and completely agree, while the Vallejo metals are good, not in the class of Alclad; as, they still look more like paint then replicating metal.

As far as my eye for detail and finish, no question yours are easily the equal. 

• Like 2

IT’S DECALING TIME

HALF WAY HOME

Finally, it’s time to start my favorite part of any build; decaling, as it where the model takes on its own personality, the bland, empty canvas gains its markings and colors. Since the last short update, I finished painting the wing swing boots, landing gear doors and then glossed the Big Cat with numerous thin coats of Tamiya X22. It required days and days to add only half the decals, as the right side, top and bottom of the fuselage still need to be done. I've used a combination of the Furball and Tamiya decals, but the majority are Furball by far.  

A few hiccups popped up:

I assumed the antiglare nose panel on the Tamiya’s decal sheet was correct for VF 114, isn’t close and not included with the Furball decals and discovered this after doing a lot of the nose decals. Some mighty fancy masking was needed and then the antiglare panel was air brushed with MRP Black primer – perfect color.

I completely forgot to paint the rudders gloss white. More careful masking and the gloss white went on with no issues. Just seems I’ll never be done with the masking and air brush work.  

Fortunately, Lady Luck was my co-pilot and all went well. 

Another issue encountered in locating the decals was matching the Furball instructions panels lines to the kit panel lines which was off in a number of places. I took my best shot and moved on.

My normal practice is to start decaling with the wings and it became very quickly apparent that the kit decals and Furball decals, yes, printed by Cartograf, were close in size and color but there were differences.  One good example was the number of ‘NO STEP” decals and their location, especially on the stabilators; Furballs were completely different: NO STEP/LIFT, as Tamiya was just NO STEP. In the end I just stayed with the Furball instructions for most of the locations as I was doing a Tomcat that they had researched, Tamiya’s was for different Tomcats and their locations and specific stencils most likely were different. Tamiya’s decal instructions and color plates were clearer, easier to understand and much cleaner in presentation.  I just think Furball had way too many aircraft crammed on to a page, so the drawings were small and hard for me to read. One other BIG difference is the Tamiya decals while very much improved, slip and slide when placing them on a very smooth model surface even using Micro Set right from the outset and it takes a while for them to bite and stay in place. The Furball decals, were placed on the model first with water, as they bite almost immediately, allowing adjustments for only a few seconds and then Set and Sol was used. What a difference. In application for sure. 

Just few photographs as to my progress.

B&W striped arrestor hook is on the top of the white foam.

91 decals used so far ... 

esCP2H.jpg

qjOMEC.jpg

WIBWYr.jpg

• Like 10

• Peterpools changed the title to Tamiya 1/48 F-14A; Update: 4/11/24 - Starting Decaling

She is a beauty ,Peter. I love your chosen paint scheme, which adds dynamic and contrast to the elegant airframe. Still a long way to go, but you´ll master it for sure.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

Thanks Rob very much appreciated. I've always liked the VF 114, The Aardvarks aircraft markings as they are so colorful and pretty unique. While I still have a good way to go, I've already completed most of the remaining parts and small assemblies along the way, so I won't rush at the end.

• Like 3

Peter, looking terrific!  One trick I've tried on small print things is to take a picture of it, then enlarge it and either print it or display it on the computer screen.  I plan on doing that with the stencils for the F-4.  Good luck!  Chris 

• Like 3

Chris, very much appreciated. pretty good idea and of course I never thought of it. I use and magnifying lamp to help and keep deferring to the Tamiya templates which while not exactly the same as Furballs, as perfect, large and easy to read. One other issue is the panel lines on the Furball instructions don't match up to the kit, while Tamiya's of course are spot on the money. 

• Like 2