Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1/48 EE Lightning ...how to make at patchwork quilt

12 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Are we there yet? :)

image.jpeg.b28b5ceb1b98c922f69223f82344da51.jpeg

yes yes calm down , I know you wanted to be first to finish in the GB . 😀

I've not been 100% well these past coupla weeks and am just finishing the mossie . 

Also still working through how best to patchwork quilt the lightning in alcald . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Fantastic project, love the Lightning, PW. It has such a brutish build and looks like it´s meant to be, mean. More than once, I considered buying and building one, but so far no cookies, but one of these days.... Yours could be a fire starter.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

• PanzerWomble changed the title to 1/48 EE Lightning ...let's go Brandon .....

Okey dokey , Mossie done ...U Boat just floating about on my dining table ........time to light the twin Avons ..you foxy pair ...

So we start with ........

1 Large box and instructions from both releases 

image.jpg

2 Most of two sets of decals ....hoping those 20 year old Trembler ones work .....otherwise ...not sure . This will be the gun free, square tailed, small bellied  F3 . Not so pregnant eh Mr Clunkmeister ?

image.jpg

3 We have lotsa seats ....

Original Kit one with hokey belts , and two quickboost ones which look nice but chonky. 

image.jpg4

4 We have a CMK resin cockpit. This improves quite a bit, although how much will be seen is to be debated. As ever the radar hood on the upper panel , where bold pilots would have to stick their heads to line up a missile shot whilst flying blind is not really represented . It's the black folded ( stowed) rubber trunk at the top right of this pic .

I was given a demo of the operation of the missile system whilst sat in the cockpit once  ...so .....left hand on stick , lets hope engine throttle is ok for now ...head in the hood( still wearing helmet and oxygen mask)  search for target and try for lock , reach down for master arm for the missiles with right hand  (low on the right cockpit wall below the seat ) ...all good? OK..... make sure you still have lock and good aspect and then release safety switch on the stick and then ...you may fire your missile . Bear in mind you are doing all this with your head in the rubber trunk ..and hoping fuel is still ok and with a possible approach speed of over 1000 knots so you have very little time to do all this .  

A good reminder too, that early Lightnings had the black cockpit, F3 and F6 had grey . 

temp-Imagehr62-QX.avif

image.jpg

image.jpg

5 The 20+ year old mouldings are still pretty good , but this is probably about time for a new release . Some of the details is weak , UC bays , jet cans , cockpit . The design tech feels 1990's . 

image.jpg

image.jpg

6 Aforementioned access ladder and some RBF tags . 

image.jpg

and er just a few reference books ...if I do XR7111 it will be AVM George Black's aircraft , one of the first Squadron Leaders on Lightnings and designer of 111's squadrons logos ...the bottom right hand book is by his son Ian , one of the last RAF pilots to be trained on the type, and as of last year an owner of his very own ex Thunder city Lightning          Link to that  Article Here

image.jpg

Yes......... this is how it arrived back to Binbrook in  the UK , transport sponsored by Airfix .

temp-Image-AIz-V56.avif

Laterz

PW

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

I remember building a lightning years ago....I was building mostly WW 2

Japanese aircraft in 1/48 then so the lightning was a bit of a departure...

I just thought it was a cool subject. I think it was a Hasegawa kit in 1/72.

The scale also a departure. I'm sad to hear that the Trumpeter kit has problems, as I kind of had my eye on that one. Anyway, I'll be following

your build of this unique aircraft!

• Like 5

• PanzerWomble changed the title to 1/48 EE Lightning ...how to make at patchwork quilt

Positive or negative masking is the quandry of the day .

Also mask with tape or try to do something clever on the Silhouette cutter …and painting the fuselage before joining it together would that be easier in the long run …I've learnt painting everything in subassemblies and then attaching the wings is often a useful ploy ( the opposite of my armour modelling of build everything and then let paint brushes sort it out )

Planning for this is very "thinky"

• Like 6

Ok glueings 

Not starting with the pit for once as the surface will be more challenging . 

Starting to make large subassemblies , clean the surfaces and start painting . Reckon do most of the paint with the fuse split, as the top seam is solid black and the lower and easier patch so can join later . Need to check that the resin pit will fit no dramas. 

Should say this is very simplistic kit by todays standards , I think even Airfix re release would have many more parts looking at their Bucc

I did a bunch of NMF "trials " a few years ago , aimed at making a "new Lighting" so getting my head back into that game 

Free tube of glue to anyone recognising that fella on the laptop 😀

image.jpg

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Martin Kovac, he gain some weight. 

Mah Frenzzzz !!!!!!

All day sat at a bench making models ....

Edit unrelated , looking back I see I paid £26 for this kit back in 2021 as the owner was unsure if it was complete, but posted pics of the sprues so I could see it was . As these trade for about £50 now feel a bit smug . 

• Like 6

Zoom zoom . Decided to go positive making not negative , which is what i did last few NMFs I did .

So

Primer

Satin Black mist

Alcald Dull asa base cost

Didn't like that so used Tamiya XF11  instead 

Break out the tape and the alcad and get patching . 

& keep going over it all till it looks like ..

temp-Image-SPRZVj.avif

temp-Imageqp-Io-A4.avif

temp-Imagezs-M1-WR.avif

temp-Imageyp7h-PH.avif

ahh pattern starts 

temp-Image-TDcl-Cq.avif

temp-Imagey-Yds-Ri.avif

I'm feeling most will come from paint but accentuated by clear coats and oils . 

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Surface looks perfect, just like the real prego jet. How you’re going to deal with the seams ? Just masking it off? 

I was wondering the exact same thing.  If it were me I’d cock it up and make a mess. I am watching with great interest and hoping to learn a new technique. 
Jeff

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jeff said:

I was wondering the exact same thing.  If it were me I’d cock it up and make a mess. I am watching with great interest and hoping to learn a new technique. 
Jeff

3 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Surface looks perfect, just like the real prego jet. How you’re going to deal with the seams ? Just masking it off? 

I'm making this all up as I go along , just reckon masking two flat sides is easier than one round , based on the Mig 21 and Sabre Dog I did in 2021 .

The top spine of the aircraft is all black on the final paint job, so easy ish to fix / fill / paint . The vert stabiliser will be painted and just slot in

The belly is a bit harder but again , just some ....rather than lots of masking . The fit on this thing is reasonable , it's no Tamiya , but it doesn't require a shed of filler. Also it's pretty low parts count so not too fiddly. 

Tremblers ....maybe its that lightning flash but still the sexiest theme to be seen in. 

temp-Image-Qgc-CVf.avif

temp-Imagev5-Gmjn.avif

• Like 7

That sounds like a good plan PW ! That should work. It will be cool to see this come together. I have never seen one in the flesh but have seen a video or two and holy cow did those birds go FAST! A very cool bird. And I am enjoying your build.  
Jeff

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Guy

I would never have thought to do a build that way but there are lots of pluses. Still thinking a good deal of sanding and polishing is going to be needed for the belly seam ... sure hope I'm wrong. :construction:

More than likely . It's just a thought , if you don't try something new you never progress I feel ?

Last time I built this , I was deeply unhappy with the lack of effect I achieved using the traditional "build it then paint it" method , so it's a shot to nothing in some ways . 

Small progress today 

.....20g of lead shot in the nose , jet pipes coming together. 

Used flory wash for the soot in the cans , though jack all of this is visible one in place hence not loosing sleep over those ejection pin marks 

image.jpg

temp-Imagewauq3-M.avif

temp-Imagee-DS2et.avif

• Like 7

These paneled NMF job looks pretty real PW, I hope your plan works out and the black spine definitely will help. I experimented a lot with metal schemes over the past month and found Tamiya LP1 gloss black to be the perfect primer. It´s perfectly glossy, thinned with two thirds of leveling thinner has a thickness, next to none and is very durable.

Cheers Rob

• Like 7

6 hours ago, DocRob said:

These paneled NMF job looks pretty real PW, I hope your plan works out and the black spine definitely will help. I experimented a lot with metal schemes over the past month and found Tamiya LP1 gloss black to be the perfect primer. It´s perfectly glossy, thinned with two thirds of leveling thinner has a thickness, next to none and is very durable.

Cheers Rob

TBH I'm not convinced by black primer on models , in 1:1 car/bike painting I was taught to use white or at a push, grey primer for silver/ metallics . 

I've got some Alcad Gloss Black which I chose not to use this time around. It seems to more a modelling thang.

I'm down to hand tinting individual access panels at the moment ...for the love of Pete .... 🙄

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Ok cockpit is now in , fuse in one part , did painting it separately help ....maybe ? Wasn't left with the idea "OMG this is a best method." 

Remedial filling spraying now done, black spine and tail on . Light black flory wash on to give it a used look and highlight some panel lines.  

Using tape to remove some of the paint , has given a water damaged aluminium look as per below ?

So ,,,,,decals , wings, weapons , wheels and then done . 

temp-Image3-Ivbtv.avif

temp-Image-VWADc-G.avif

temp-Imagey-NNm-Z6.avif

• Like 7