The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Revell He 111 P - FINISHED!!

Nice paintwork and definitely better with the flaps only slightly dropped or not at all. 

I must have a body shop worker in a past life as I tend to paint around openings before bits go in to simplify masking just like you do.

• Like 5

Nice work on the back spine, which looks much better now. On some of the pictures, it´s clearly visible, that the origins of the HE-111 where in civil aviation.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

Well, this took about an hour of my life!  Hopefully now that I’m experienced the right side will go quicker.  Have to brush touch up the “keepers” that hold things in place.  
I’ve found that installing main legs and the actuator free floating makes it easier to get the rest of the parts installed.  I then hit the hinge joints with CA to take out the slop and lock things in place.  

IMG_1524.thumb.jpeg.c12b2126a4181082a4b3b77166bc7ef3.jpeg

To hold the hinge part I had to use ticky-tack on the end of a swab stick.  And strategically placed Tamiya tape too! 
IMG_1523.thumb.jpeg.a413fcc7bfd22461f55d711844731ebd.jpeg

• Like 9

Hard to make out in this pic, but the left side (facing it) is about a 1/4”-5/16” higher.  Doing careful measurements, I really cannot tell if it’s a landing gear difference of wing dihedral difference with the way it went together.  All I know is taking about 1/16”-1/8” off the bottom of the tire should fix it. 
IMG_1526.thumb.jpeg.a747254c0125108d039c60006c744294.jpeg

Crap. I just figured it out and I did it stupidly.  When I went to glue that side wing half on there was a gap at the bottom joint.  Instead of forcing it in place and holding it while the glue set up I simply filled the gap with Evergreen stock.  
I think I can saw that out and correct it with a little work.  
Stupid stock filler 

IMG_1527.thumb.png.8e3b783e1e74b806cb339b914966196a.png

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

Your  pilot was pulling too hard from its dive as he was escaping aus der zpitfires. 

Keep on pushing Scott , this is just a silly hiccup along the way. You've got this. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

A good save before the paint started going on there Scott .

I’ve been known to do worse. Remember the F-14 build with the upside down wings I discovered after painting? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Ok. Cut the bottom of the wing glue joint open, dug out all the filler Evergreen I glued in and CA’d it shut.  It’s still off a little by 3/16”. If I place a .030 shim under the low side LG, it now sits even.  
I feel shaving a slight bit off the high side tire will get it close enough for the eye to not pick it up. 
IMG_1536.thumb.jpeg.25acc133f5de63a1e6b5104a0fd90f44.jpeg

IMG_1535.thumb.jpeg.a49fbcd21f1110ef423f4ddcb037224c.jpeg

• Like 6

If it's any consolation, years ago I was building an Airfix Wellington. Glued the fuselage together and found I forgot the cockpit. Pried it apart just in time, stuck the cockpit in and glued it back together. At which point I saw the rear turret sitting on my bench. Repeat, this time adding in the turret.  Needless to say, that build ended up being quite the glue bomb. 

More recently, I did a Revell Spitfire and found the cockpit side panel a couple months after I'd finished the build. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Well this was a bit of glass work!  
IMG_1537.thumb.jpeg.9a1aa3ba6cbe99094f72d48d5dca8457.jpeg

of course Revell shows mounting oxygen systems and machine gun drum mags directly to the window areas.  Nope. I could not see anything halfway resembling this anywhere online.  I just left them out.  Yea, B team designed this cockpit probably using made up images from a video game.  
If any kit ever screamed for an accurate aftermarket cockpit and with all this glass, it would have to be this kit.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2024 at 7:29 PM, ScottsGT said:

If any kit ever screamed for an accurate aftermarket cockpit and with all this glass, it would have to be this kit.

I guess there is, CMK has a cockpit set and there is the HPH cut away for the He-111, Scott, screams heard :D.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

You know, this would have been a hell of a lot easier if I had ordered the correct Eduard mask set.  :hsmack:

image.thumb.jpg.fec659d4bb9b3ac4ac815df44b1aca82.jpg

My dumbass self ordered the He111H-6 set and not the He 111 P. 

• Like 6

Scott

Looking good and nice progress. Always seems we find out too late that what we need and couldn't find, actually is available, hiding online somewhere. 

Same with the masks ... way too easy to order the wrong set and I have to admit, I've done the same more then once.

:construction:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today my wife made it back to work after her skiing injury.  Thought I’d take advantage of the alone time before she’s off again for the cancer surgery.  
I completed the taping the other day and today I sprayed the RLM02 on the window frames and then shot primer on the bottom.  I’ve got 2 or 3 rough spots to correct and then I’ll move on to priming the rest.  
I have a few details like antenna I need to add, but I’ve got to be very careful how I place the model after that.  Trying to wait until the absolute last minute for these details.  

IMG_1609.thumb.jpeg.3a3dfa698997e6ba4ebdefda40e8ec4c.jpeg

• Like 6

Scott

Super progress and a mighty good plan. I also try to leave the small and easily breakable pieces until the end or at least the last minute but these days, I do add a lot, so I don't have to worry about marring the paint finish.  :construction:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1