Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1/32 HKM A-20G-25-DO 'white 40', s/n 43-9168, of 51 MTAP Baltic Fleet

48 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

If you don't mind me weighing in on the spray pattern issue:  Maybe re-sharpen the tip?  I have seen where brand new tips are not perfectly conical (for who knows what reason).  Just a thought.

I´ve done that also, after I bent my needle. used a Japanese grind stone with 6000 and 12000 grit. Worked perfectly.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Martin

Not exactly sure what is causing your H&S Infinity issues and same as Rob, I have their reamer and it does help when needed. I also use their brush set to clean out any nasties inside the AB and that should help remove anything disturbing the air flow. I once had a problem similar to yours and found soaking the tip parts in lacquer thinner and then using the reamer did the trick for me. Anytime I needed to replace a tip or needle, I always bought it as a matched set. One bad thing about H&S, parts are super expensive.

Hope this helps.   

• Like 6

Bombastic 

Bit by bit piecing together the explosive ordnance. The problem is that the fins have several variations, so I’m going with the most common and perhaps the easiest one as well 😆 

IMG_2575.jpeg

• Like 9

Bombskis !

Looking much nicer than the kit offering . Ordnance often seems to be an afterthought when firms design new kits, "great kit , but meh ordnance". 

I love the way given a modern US bomber the Soviets decided to hang bombs off the wings like it's 1919 ...😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nice, Martin, these look way better, than the kit ones and very visible, like PW stated. I was about to go AM for the bombs of my AEG too, but decided against it. WNW quality is good enough for me :D.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As of now there’s no AM available for WW2 Soviet bombs. It gets confusing, because the post war commie bombs retained the same classification and nomenclature, with additional affix which can lead to confusion.

Look Mom, Begemot decals were hiding in my stash. :)

IMG_2580.jpeg

• Like 6

On 2/6/2024 at 11:03 PM, Clunkmeister said:

Now I want to open my bomb bay doors.  Oops too late. I already burned mine, them stomped on the melted plastic, then burned it again. 

I hate it when that happens!!!

• Like 2

On 2/14/2024 at 10:48 PM, Martinnfb said:

Basic assembly of FAB-250 is done. Tomorrow I’ll add texture and few coats of paint 

IMG_2577.jpeg

This is EXACTLY why I'm not going my kit for this GB.  Terrific work on the bombs (and everything else).  The detail is wonderful and can't wait to see the texture you put on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Factory fresh , from left to right.

FAB-500 a High-Explosive General-Purpose aircraft bomb. (ФАБ) stands for Fugasnaya Avia Bomba meaning Aerial Demolition Bomb TNT is the most commonly used main charge employed in Russian HE bombs. Like the forged bomb, the rear section is conical while the nose of the bomb is ogival which concludes at the fuze adapter. The body is formed by a heavy, ogival, cast steel nose section, a cylindrical mid-section and a conical after section, all welded together. Nose and tail fuze adapters are threaded into the body.

BRAB-220, a High-Explosive - Armoured-Piercing  , fin - stabilized, aircraft bomb used against targets of heavy construction. They can penetrate up to 152mm (6in) of hardened armour plate and 1.78m (70in) of reinforced concrete. This bomb is a converted 11-inch naval projectile. It has an explosive-filled tail cone fastened to the bomb body by screw threads. It has a provision for tail fuze and four fins are welded to the cone with two suspension bands. Two sheet metal braces are welded between each of the tail fins for additional support.

DAB-100 ( or FAB-100), so I opted for smoke dispersing bomb, there was also a stripe applied on the body in order to identify the nature of the filling :)

IMG_2662.thumb.jpeg.315f3e64b39e99d3ac9de2efaaf25178.jpegIMG_2661.thumb.jpeg.3ded496045b477041cd9841132b10b29.jpeg

• Like 6

The bombs were coated with dark brown lacquer primer, then salted, then shaded with grey and black and lastly gun metal powder was used to bring then back to life a little . Texture was combination of rolled steel casings surface, created by coarse sand paper, and cast iron surface- the conical tips, created by etching with extra-thin and brush-dabbing (I feel so linguisty tonight), wash will be applied together with the rest of the plane.

More clicks so you guys can get some basic idea of what I'm doing here. :)

201263-main.jpg

fab-50 ,100.jpeg

fab500.jpeg

• Like 5

Ok, my airbrush problem is solved. 
image.thumb.jpg.c0a436bcd7375e28d67190ed0be3edc8.jpg

in the meanwhile I opened the upper air cooling tunnel flaps. I know it was bit of a backtracking, but it was very common detail , often visible on parked aeroplanes

image.thumb.jpeg.05bb429596e041183cd4d8bbfc059507.jpeg

IMG_2697.thumb.jpeg.ea44b5827bee9aca3ab87fc0bea7388e.jpegIMG_2704.thumb.jpeg.428310eaceb116aab771845091d8fa29.jpeg

Please ignore the messy shot, everything will be sanded smooth once the glue is set. 

IMG_2705.thumb.jpeg.1cc4a3f4d534d71b3b6dce0dc4e5f9ed.jpeg

well the small bombs are in the bay and are getting washed as we speak.

IMG_2698.thumb.jpeg.064bbb33b947ab1dbabaecd783551bd8.jpeg

There’s still some scribing and polishing left. Then hopefully , some paint.  Or else.  The external bomb racks, for example :)

• Like 7