The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

AEG G.IV - Creature of the Night - WNW 1/32

18 hours ago, Peterpools said:

WOW - brilliant work - absolutely perfection. 🏆🏆🏆

Beyond the work itself were so many how to - mini tutorials, I can't thank you enough. Maybe someday I'll attempt to build a WNW kit and will surely use your rigging tutorial as my guide.

Thank you Peter, I´m blushing. You should try a WNW kit, possibly a German fighter, these are easy to rig and great to learn the needed techniques. Besides there are so many colorful choices. Only yesterday, I found a 40% off deal on the Meng (WNW?) 1/24 Fokker DR.I and couldn´t resist. By the way, an ideal beginner kit, when it comes to WWI planes. I opted for Aviattic decals to plaster the whole crate to depict the all black DR.I of Josef Jacobs. This will be a nice in between build.
Documenting my work is not only altruism, it helps me to remember used techniques and develop them further to my liking over the years.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

If WnW was still in business, this should be the marketing image for the kit.  Well done!!

He he, thank you for the praise, Mike. For such a huge and demanding kit, there are astonishingly many builds to find, with great results. WNW could have chosen from a lot. That said, I´m thinking about getting another AEG, this time the earlier day bomber version, they can still be found for relatively fair prices.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

I do have the meng 1/24 Foker in my thinned out stash and maybe someday - just not sure I'm up to the task and the scale. I know I would frustrate myself trying to even do half as good as yours, as I surely lack the skills for a WWI aircraft build. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

I do have the meng 1/24 Foker in my thinned out stash and maybe someday - just not sure I'm up to the task and the scale. I know I would frustrate myself trying to even do half as good as yours, as I surely lack the skills for a WWI aircraft build. 

Don´t sell yourself short, Peter, with your skillset, the DR.I will be an easy build. If you want to get around wood painting, you could use either a Quinta set or Aviattic decals for the exterior, which include interior woodgrain decals as well. Rigging is only six lines, which are not very visible. Done with elastic rigging line, there should be no problems. The scale, well, I guess the 1/24 Fokker is smaller than a 1/32 Spitfire.
I stand to be corrected, but I see the big Meng DR.I as an easy in between build kit. Reflecting my WWI plane builds, all have been easier than thought before and more rewarding then most of my other plane builds, but that is of course a very personal view.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Rob

Thanks for the vote of confidence and maybe later this summer, I'll give a WNW kits a try and see how I do. I actually also have a few packs of Bob's Buckles rigging supplies, in the tool chest for years. Who knows but thesew days, I'm open to trying new things.

• Like 2

Well, here are my feeble attempts in figure painting. I try to do one or two figures per build, but often shy away, because painting these is always like a burde for me. Nonetheless, i try to improve my skills and sometimes force myself to finish the figures.

The mechanic is painted with acrylic colors from Scale75, except for the skin, which was painted with oil colors.

P1011452.thumb.JPG.332a3e04680383f65a1ab7334bec6db6.JPG

P1011447.thumb.JPG.75dcfd26f99367d5db3db9ce41d8444d.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

Beautiful details ,  his gnarly moustache and Rolex watch. You can say that everything is ready to go, by the way how he holds his hammer.  I love it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Beautiful details ,  his gnarly moustache and Rolex watch. You can say that everything is ready to go, by the way how he holds his hammer.  I love it

Thank you Martin, I loved the figure, when I saw it first and in the GB-Finished section, you can see the other figure and that it is not a hammer, but a wrench, we are talking German engineering here :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Great job on the figure. I stay away from them as much as possible. The eyes are always a challenge to me. 

Wise decision, Carl. I like to choose figures fitting for a build, which actually form a picture or tell a story, but I often shy away, when time comes for painting these. The eyes are terribly different and many of my attempts end cross eyed.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Rob

I'm with carl, in that I do love figures and they are always the missing touch, but my skills are really poor at best. If I could only get half as close to yours, I would be a happy camper.

:construction:

• Thanks 1

One piece of advice - which seemed blindingly obvious with hindsight - I read from Marion Ball, one of the GREAT figure painters of the time, is that the eyes of real people are rarely fully open, and always partially covered by eyelids. Hard to paint, but it makes all the difference when you succeed in representing it …

Worth a try on your moustached mechanic ?

Hubert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Rob

I'm with carl, in that I do love figures and they are always the missing touch, but my skills are really poor at best. If I could only get half as close to yours, I would be a happy camper.

21 minutes ago, HubertB said:

One piece of advice - which seemed blindingly obvious with hindsight - I read from Marion Ball, one of the GREAT figure painters of the time, is that the eyes of real people are rarely fully open, and always partially covered by eyelids. Hard to paint, but it makes all the difference when you succeed in representing it …

Worth a try on your moustached mechanic ?

Thank you Peter and Hubert. I know a lot about figure painting theoretically, but am not able to convert it onto my figures. I know about the eyes. My mechanic looks like he´d seen a bunch of Camels approaching with his bug eyes. I always fight with color consistency with figures. too dense and you have a blob, too thin and it doesn´t cover. What really helps are good brushes and I´m not only using the smallest, as color soaking capacity is also important.

Anyway, I added the second figure to my build and call the mighty bat FINISHED .

P1011470.thumb.JPG.360671c7b8a2cd66b88745a11a15d43d.JPG

• Like 4