The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

MOVIES, ACTORS AND EVERYTHING CINEMATOGRAPHY RELATED

Martinnfb

We have been missing a  topic dedicated to movies. We can discuss cinematography, actors, reviews and previews, you name it . New or old, anything and everything about movies. 

EDIT: Actresses  too :)

• Like 4

I just watched the old 1950’s movie Appointment in London with Dirk Bogard. It was a really good movie for it’s time. About a time-ex-ed Lancaster pilot. I quite enjoyed it. A good basic war movie with no fake cgi flying , just old school cinematography   

• Like 3

I use to work at a movie theater.  Does that count?

Somewhere I have the original movie poster for Midway and I think Tora,Tora,Tora. 

Fun fact, I also worked there with now Senator Tim Scott that ran for President and is on the short list for VP with Trump.   
When Tim announced he was running, first thing that came to me was, “Whaaaaa…Tim, you’re too nice of a guy to wallow this deep in the mud with the pigs.”  
If you’ve ever heard the story of the Chick-Fil-A owner that mentored him as a young man, I knew him as well. He actually lived in the same neighborhood as my in-laws. 

• Like 4

For me - flims . .

Patton ...1970 ...Seven Oscars ....read em & weep . Outstanding portrayal of an outstanding Warrior ....and probably George C Scotts finest performance for which he refused the Oscar . 

-We need a similar film of stature about V/Adm Ching Lee , probably the finest navel commander of his generation.  Criminal that there isn't . 

English Patient 1996 Nine Oscars, remarkable story, outstanding cinematography and KST naked .....ahhh . 

Throw in the Damsbusters for good measure / nostalgia / feeling good to be English once. 

Job jobbed. All good . 👍

Non war film  - Apollo 13 , for the sheer huge brassy b@lls of that crew. Gene Kranz , outstanding man!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

For me - flims . .

Patton ...1970 ...Seven Oscars ....read em & weep . Outstanding portrayal of an outstanding Warrior ....and probably George C Scotts finest performance for which he refused the Oscar . 

-We need a similar film of stature about V/Adm Ching Lee , probably the finest navel commander of his generation.  Criminal that there isn't . 

English Patient 1996 Nine Oscars, remarkable story, outstanding cinematography and CST naked .....ahhh . 

Throw in the Damsbusters for good measure / nostalgia / feeling good to be English once. 

Job jobbed. All good . 👍

Non war film  - Apollo 13 , for the sheer huge brassy b@lls of that crew. Gene Kranz , outstanding man!

Patton was the only movie we ever went to as a family when I was growing up.  Matter of fact, I think that’s the only movie I ever remember my dad going to.  Mom took us to see ET.  Other than those two, we were just dropped off and picked up after.  
I remember growing up I had chronic ear infections in my left ear.  We lived about 20 miles from the AFB clinic.  Mom dropped off me and my brother for a movie at the base theater.  During the movie it hit me hard. Ear felt like it was going to explode.  When she picked us up, told her to drive straight to the clinic.  A monthly occurrence until I got tubes in my ears at 13 yo.  

• Like 2

Twelve O’clock High………the opening scenes are amazing…….saw a trailer for Masters of the Air…….no thank you ……to shiny and to much CGI……why the hell they didn’t look at original…….only time my father took me to the cinema, to watch BoB when it first came out I was 9……..not the greatest piece of cinematography but at least the aircraft were real in the flying scenes …

• Like 4

If you can hack subtitles these classic Finnish War films are very good. All based of the same authors work I believe .

Winter war (Talvisota) 1989  - Link imdb

Ambush ( Rukajärven tie1999  - Link Imdb

Unknown Soldier  (Tuntematon sotilas)_ 2017  - Link

Finland fought its own war against the Soviet Union , citizen non professonal soldiers of all ages, with little support from outside the country and mostly kicked the bear's ass . These films reflect this well ,  and tell a far different story of war than Hollywood.

They also go on for three hours and everyone looks like Maarti !😀 

Makes me want to own a Suomi  KP31 .!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit old now but this Japanese film I enjoyed a lot , paints Yamamoto as being driven into war by internal political forces against his better judgement  . One can argue the veracity or enjoy the action 

• Thanks 2