The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya P-47D Razorback Thunderbolt: 5/13/24: DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

My set of Thundercals showed up this past Saturday. I too think they are 1st class decals and very colorful. My next build will be a Hasegawa P-47 razorback and I plan to do one of the "Burma Banshees".

Your P-47 is coming right along Peter! :)

• Like 2

Sorry Kev

halfway through painting and of course the never ending hobby of masking and buying Tamiya tape. Maybe early next week but Diane and I have three doctor appointments on tap first and then it will be bench time for sure. 

4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Maybe early next week but Diane and I have three doctor appointments on tap first and then it will be bench time for sure. 

Life does like to get in the way will be here when posted.;)

• Like 1

IT’S AIRBRUSH TIME

Priming went fine and just a few redo’s were found.

I had already finished applying the underside neutral gray when the Thundercal decals arrived and decided to change the paint scheme and markings. Rather then continue with the OD #41 for the upper surfaces, I decided to first airbrush the engine cowling, wheel covers, prop spinner and tail their appropriate colors. Of course, loads of masking to do – thank goodness as I thought I wouldn’t have to do much on the Tamiya Jug when I was going with the kit decals/paint scheme.  

I was unfamiliar with I.D. # 48 yellow for the cowl and the search was on. I did find a correct color chip to work from and Mr Color 329 was close enough. It would have been perfect match if I applied it over the OD which have dropped it a shade but painted over gray primer and it still looked fine. Of course, after thinning I just had enough yellow for the one air brush session and the jar was now bone dry. The alternating cowl flaps were done with MRP Super Gloss Black and AK Aluminum.

The tail: MRP Insignia White.

The undersides were MRP Neutral Gray

The upper surfaces: MRP Olive Drab 41.

While waiting for the fuselage to dry, I finished the gear, wheels and tires and popped the details with Tamiya Black Panel Line Wash.

The prop was painted and decaled as well. The hub details were picked out as well with Tamiya Black PLW.

At this point, the Jug is ready for the decaling process, starting with Tamiya X22 Clear Gloss and then onto the Thundercal Decals.

qxQgky.jpg

NYaC1A.jpg

PQJW6I.jpg

lBTCAM.jpg

• Like 8

• Peterpools changed the title to Tamiya P-47D Razorback Thunderbolt: 5/6/24 : IT'S AIRBRUSHING TIME

Looks great Peter!  Can't wait to see the decals.

Can I ask how you did the propeller?  It looks really good.  I've been trying to figure out how to break up the black on black propellers, and saw someone took the approach of spraying a very thin coat of brown over it which came out nicely.  

• Like 2

Thanks Mike, very much appreciated and progress is moving ahead at a nice steady clip.

I really didn't do anything different then my normal approach:

MRP Black primer

MRP or Tamiya Gloss Black and then decal. Tips are airbrushed yellow and lastly will be a clear gloss coat to seal in the decals and then semi gloss on the front and flat on the back. Panel Line Washes to pick out the details.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While waiting for my decals to arrive, your Jug is half finished Peter :D. Your paintjob came out fantastic, love the contrast between yellow and OD. Like Mike said, can´t wait for the decals.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Thanks John. very much appreciated and I feel decaling is only now a few days away - doctor appointment for the next few days take precedent in the build schedule. 

• Like 1

Hi Kev

The OD is on: MRP 139: OD 41. It's more of a dark brown base then the greenish OD. Hope when the decals and markings are on, the OD will look a bit more pronounced.

Thanks Rob, very much appreciated. Finally moving at a nice clip and with any luck, all the decals and markings should be done by Friday. The few Thundercal I already used, are excellent and by Cartograf and I'm not for a change expecting an issues (🤞). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Hi Kev

The OD is on: MRP 139: OD 41. It's more of a dark brown base then the greenish OD. Hope when the decals and markings are on, the OD will look a bit more pronounced.

Must be my resolution Peter on this side looked grey:hsmack:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, KevinM said:

Must be my resolution Peter on this side looked grey:hsmack:

It looks gray to me too Kevin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DECALS AND WHITE LEADING EDGES

If ever there was a way to do things so out of order, I struck paydirt for sure.

I struggled to mask out the white leading edges as I had already added the underwing pylons and had to ever so carefully mask around them.  That will teach me NOT to change paint schemes in the middle of a build, without thinking things through. I’ve also mentioned before, Thundercal only provides just the left hand side view in the decal instructions and it would have been a HUGE help to have both the upper and underside views, so locating the white leading edge would have been a lot easier. The instructions do point out the end size but that is surely doing it the hard way. I found a few Jug builds that used the same decals and all added the white leading edge differently. The Jug had been glossed with Tamiya X22 and it was decal time.

I noticed during airbrushing that in the left hand side view, the panel lines didn’t match the kit’s as accurately as I thought they should and using them for decal placement, slowed down the process as a lot of extra time was needed locate the markings correctly. 

The decal stage of the Jug build is done, panel line washes are next and then the decal seal coat and finally then semi flat finally coat.  I can see the finish line not too many days away.

20ox1y.jpg

MNitYn.jpg

XgLhFE.jpg

87uP6R.jpg

SGClCj.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Peterpools changed the title to Tamiya P-47D Razorback Thunderbolt: 5/10/24: DECALS AND THE WHITE LEADING EDGE ARE DONE

Stunning looking Jug, Peter. You chose a very attractive scheme and the decals let it pop. Bummer with the description. My decal sheet for the Burma Banshees seems to have a very decent documentation with measurements even for the painted bars.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Thanks, Paul very much appreciated. I switch paint schemes right in the middle of the build after Rob posted about the Thundercal Decals he was going to purchase and I found this set on their site. Went with it as it's so colorful.

Rob, very much appreciate the comments on the Jug's paint scheme and markings. I'm pretty sure my sheet was an early one and the documentation while good, still left too much hunting for the builder to fill in the missing pieces. Glad your decal instructions are a lot more thorough and more builder friendly. 

• Like 2