The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya P-47D Razorback Thunderbolt: 5/13/24: DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

P-47D RAZORBACK THUNDERBOLT

TAMIYA 1/48TH

Capt Walker Mahurin

56th FG, 63rd Sq, Haleswworth, UK  March 1944

With my Tomcat GB build completed, it was time to tackle the first of two Tamiya Jugs ready to go. Only AM will be a Quinta Cockpit set and paints will be MRP. Colors for this build are:

MRP Olive Drab 41

MRP Neutral Gray

MRP Gray Primer

MRP Interior Dark Dull Green.

The other interior cockpit color choice was Bronze Green but the Dark Dull Green matches the Quinta base color better. Most Long Island WWII aircraft from Republic and Grumman used paint from the same local supplier and the actual mix for Interior Green varied as the base colors were substituted due to war time shortages and a changing formula, thusly the variety of different cockpit colors.

As compared to the Mini Art Jug I built a few months back, where there were all sorts of issues for me with the instructions, part location and over engineering, none of which was encountered with the Tamiya kit so far. Excellent instructions and part fit was spot on the money.

Final steps in finishing off the front office was adding some depth for visual effect with three different Tamiya Panel Line Washes: Black, Dark Brown and Dark Gray. Once dry, the interior was sealed with Alclad Flat Clear and Tamiya XF21 Sky was used to dry brush and help highlight the details.

The main spar details were treated the same and the details look mighty good.

In most of the images, the parts appear larger then they are actually. 

QIBP5h.jpg

Hur8wV.jpg

b0BQrF.jpg

AXNDJK.jpg

kXcbPj.jpg

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Excellent instructions and part fit was spot on the money.

Mini Art is great. But I've built two of these Tamiya razorbacks, and have at least that many in the stash. No reason to replace a good thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

P-47D RAZORBACK THUNDERBOLT

TAMIYA 1/48TH

Capt Walker Mahurin

56th FG, 63rd Sq, Haleswworth, UK  March 1944

With my Tomcat GB build completed, it was time to tackle the first of two Tamiya Jugs ready to go. Only AM will be a Quinta Cockpit set and paints will be MRP. Colors for this build are:

MRP Olive Drab 41

MRP Neutral Gray

MRP Gray Primer

MRP Interior Dark Dull Green.

The other interior cockpit color choice was Bronze Green but the Dark Dull Green matches the Quinta base color better. Most Long Island WWII aircraft from Republic and Grumman used paint from the same local supplier and the actual mix for Interior Green varied as the base colors were substituted due to war time shortages and a changing formula, thusly the variety of different cockpit colors.

As compared to the Mini Art Jug I built a few months back, where there were all sorts of issues for me with the instructions, part location and over engineering, none of which was encountered with the Tamiya kit so far. Excellent instructions and part fit was spot on the money.

Final steps in finishing off the front office was adding some depth for visual effect with three different Tamiya Panel Line Washes: Black, Dark Brown and Dark Gray. Once dry, the interior was sealed with Alclad Flat Clear and Tamiya XF21 Sky was used to dry brush and help highlight the details.

The main spar details were treated the same and the details look mighty good.

In most of the images, the parts appear larger then they are actually. 

QIBP5h.jpg

Hur8wV.jpg

b0BQrF.jpg

AXNDJK.jpg

kXcbPj.jpg

Looks good Peter. Real nice IP!:)

• Like 3

Count10

Agreed, While the Mini Art kit brand new, very well detailed, the poor instructions and over engineering just made for a frustrating build. Tamiya, with the addition of the Quinta set is right up there in detailing and when it comes to part fit and instructions, is miles ahead. Still the best Jug in 48th scale for my money.

• Like 2

Your cockpit looks nice and you blended the Quinta bits in very well, Peter. I plan to do a Razorback soon as well and already have the kit, but still have to purchase decals.
This is what I am planning:

TCT48007.jpg?t=1664387005

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

Thanks, Rob very much appreciated. I'll be looking forward to your Jug build hopefully in the not-too-distant future. Excellent choice of decals and I was just over to their website and found a few sheets I might buy as I have more jugs in the stash to build. I did notice the owner saying he is letting stock run out and will not be replacing them as he isn't a modeler but rather a flight simmer. I figure it's best to buy a few sheets now as once they are gone, it's eBay and then insane prices.

• Like 4

Thanks Mike, moving along at a nice clip and as with all my Tamiya builds, a pleasure to spend time with working on them at the bench. After reading Robs post, I am heading over to Thunder Cals and picking up a set or two of decals, as they will not be remade when sold out.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Thanks, Rob very much appreciated. I'll be looking forward to your Jug build hopefully in the not-too-distant future. Excellent choice of decals and I was just over to their website and found a few sheets I might buy as I have more jugs in the stash to build. I did notice the owner saying he is letting stock run out and will not be replacing them as he isn't a modeler but rather a flight simmer. I figure it's best to buy a few sheets now as once they are gone, it's eBay and then insane prices.

I saw that info at their web site too, Peter. I will order my set soon and leave no chance for the scalpers.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

READY FOR PRIMING

Slow but steady progress with the following work completed:

Assembled and glued up the fuselage with the lost panel lines restored.

Wings were built up, needing a bit of tweaking to fit tightly up against the fuselage (most likely my doing). Wheel wells were painted MRP Yellow Zinc Chromate.

The horizontal stabilizers were glued in place with only a quick swipe of Mr Surfacer needed.

The Big P&W R2800 radial, nicely detailed for a 48th scale kit engine was assembled, painted and lastly both Tamiya Black and Dark Brown Panel Line Washes were used to bring out the details.

The inside of the cowl and the air splitter plates were painted Alclad aluminum and not gray as per the instructions, as research showed.   

Last to be tackled was the front windscreen, canopy and glass armor plate with the addition of an Eduard mask set.

Flaps are just being test fit.  

A lot of bench hours were devoted working towards priming and now it’s priming time, with MRP Gray Primer.

RTxCT0.jpg

B0c0Z5.jpg

vHAoJD.jpg

DmPI6T.jpg

• Like 8

• Peterpools changed the title to Tamiya P-47D Razorback Thunderbolt: 5/1/24 - Ready for Priming

Thanks, Rob much appreciated.

I haven't decided about the MG barrels yet and there is a good chance I'll go with the Quickboost AM ones I used on my last Jug. 

• Like 2

Martin

Thanks for the info and pics. I'll see if they are available from my normal vendors and hoping not to see: " Out of Stock" which is the norm these days.

• Like 1

Martin

All my online vendors were out of stock on it. Found a set on eBay and bought it. Should be here in about a week or so 🤞

My typing skills are going downhill as fast as my age is going uphill !  

• Like 2

Thanks Mike, much appreciated. Priming and the bottom Neutral Gray was finished up the past few days and tomorrow onto the Olive Drap 41 ... seems like I'm on a roll for a change.  

Any progress on the Big Sikorsky?

• Like 1

NEW DECALS AND MARKING

My Thundercal decals arrived and I’ve changed the model being modeled:

“My San Antonio Rose”, Capt LeeRoy M. Caldwell, Flt leader, Yellow Flt, 310th FGS 58 FG, 1945

Decals were printed by Cartograf, look great but the only color view on the decaling instructions is the left hand side. Since the Jug had white leading edges, a drawing should have been included indicating exactly the edges of the white leading leads extend to. There is a small three view set of drawings included but they are only for generic decals, common to all three of the aircraft. Other then that, the decals look awesome.

IODYVt.jpg

• Like 5

• Peterpools changed the title to Tamiya P-47D Razorback Thunderbolt: 5/1 & 5/2/24 - Ready for Priming and New Decals

Nice choice Peter and glad to hear the decals seem to be of good quality. Mine are on the way too, but like always, it takes a while.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Rob

I'm looking forward to using my set as the version I've changed to is a lot more colorful plus being Cartograf, application should present no issues. What does bother me a little is only the one color view is provided and a upper and lower set of drawing would have saved some online research time trying to determine how the white leading edges go on. There is a small three view set of drawings, but I didn't find any info on the leading edges. 

Of course, additional color drawings would certainly increase the cost, so I guess, everything is a tradeoff.  

• Like 2