The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Kinetic F/A 18 A - CAF

Awaiting to take pictures of P51D  and Mosquito and with the Sd.Kfz.7/1 2cm Flakvierling in the paint shop it’s time to start a fresh project. The F18 was purchased off eBay for an 2/3 of RRP so I added a beautiful RedFox IP to it. As I know absolutely nothing about jets there is little point in buying update / backdate AM galore. This is only my second jet……straight into the build, the cockpit OOB isn’t to bad at all for 1/48 but with the RedFox it does make it pop……onwards with a piece of modern machinery…..

The AM or kit doesn’t supply harnesses. When I first started out in industry, we used to layout printed circuit board masters with black crepe tape up to scales of 10 to one. I still have some crepe tape that utilised  to give an impression of harnesses, I think it works?

IMG_8074.thumb.jpeg.b4e1e48e7155b4e17922021de6a2c165.jpeg

IMG_0399.thumb.jpeg.9e89995bef0e862338146de902cd92fd.jpeg

IMG_0404.thumb.jpeg.ab6cac7795242bcaaa69ead21d516e59.jpeg

IMG_0405.thumb.jpeg.afb028ae37aa49717021ae979d304108.jpeg

• Like 11

Phil

Nice choice for your second jet and some mighty nice work on the front office - looks good and busy. Yes, your method for doing the belts and harnesses worked exceptional well.

One of the biggest differences for me between RedFox and Quinta is Quinta does come with seatbelts. They also make a Light Sets where there are no belts for less, but I always buy the Quinta sets with the seatbelts and have no issues with them and one less AM item to buy. 

:construction:

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Phil

Nice choice for your second jet and some mighty nice work on the front office - looks good and busy. Yes, your method for doing the belts and harnesses worked exceptional well.

One of the biggest differences for me between RedFox and Quinta is Quinta does come with seatbelts. They also make a Light Sets where there are no belts for less, but I always buy the Quinta sets with the seatbelts and have no issues with them and one less AM item to buy. 

:construction:

Thanks Peter, it is a different mindset doing jets. I hear what you saying about Quinta but rather support RefFox.

• Like 5

VERY nice start and I hear you about doing jets.  Very different from the Mustangs/Spitfires/Airacobras/etc.  I've seen where Kinetic is making some nice kits.

Your belts look terrific - I especially like that there is some texture to them, not just flat.  The IP is AMAZING, esp for 1/48 scale!  Had not heard of Red Fox before...

• Like 5

23 hours ago, CANicoll said:

VERY nice start and I hear you about doing jets.  Very different from the Mustangs/Spitfires/Airacobras/etc.  I've seen where Kinetic is making some nice kits.

Your belts look terrific - I especially like that there is some texture to them, not just flat.  The IP is AMAZING, esp for 1/48 scale!  Had not heard of Red Fox before...

Thanks Chris, I’m really impressed with Kinetic so far, the fit is very good. Apparently this boxing is their previous moulds as the now have their Gold series which by all accounts is even better. 

Well recommend RedFox, I use them exclusively because of the country they are in. 

• Like 3

A question for all people who know about F18’s, are flaps in the down position when parked up? Do not want to fall foul of the “flaps should be up” fraternity 😃😃

Flaps wing landing, ailerons and trailing edge flaps will gradually go down when HYD pressure lost. Leading edge flaps will not...they remain position which left when shutdown.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think I might actually know this pilot, it is possibly a fellow I went to Cadets with WAY back in the day............. wish I could read his name tag.... would be cool if it read Craig Hallowell, sure looks like it could be... he flew in the first Gulf War then retired shortly there after and was on 747's for Cathay Pacific.... sorry for the deviation, Phil, but this could be really cool...

Jeff

188753_1.jpg