Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Academy 1/48 B-25PBJ-1D--Finished

Well what you see is three hours of painting.I started with panel lines top and bottom with Testors Rubber color The bottom was color in A/C Grey MM paint there I started almost painting over the panels lines first then the rest always constantly keeping the gun going in an erratic pattern.The top was done in MM Intermediate Blue here I started in the inside of the panel erratic then the panel lines last the darkest of the color prevailed here.I have over the last couple years with this technique developed  a splotchy I think weather/faded look....you tell me.I can still see areas in a different light that need attention in the Blue mainly on the tail.The line I draw in that erratic pattern can be 1/16" it takes time my right thumb is sore right now.:hsmack:

B-25J 001.JPG

B-25J 002.JPG

• Like 1

Hhmnnn.....:unsure::D wings still not glued on.I have AK fluids=white thinner and Florry's =H2O(?) I have a lacquer semi-clear varnish so called by Tamy base down suggestions?;)

B-25J 001.JPG

B-25J 002.JPG

B-25J 003.JPG

B-25J 004.JPG

• Like 5

• KevinM changed the title to Academy 1/48 B-25PBJ-1D

Well it looks like I beat the deadline all that's left is the aerials.:D

This was my first with Florys interesting can see some future use with them definitely easy to use but if you want more removal go gloss I went semi.;)

B-25J 001.JPG

B-25J 002.JPG

B-25J 003.JPG

B-25J 005.JPG

• Like 6

Beautiful work and nice job with the Flory washes.  Definitely a different effect on semi-gloss vs gloss.    The splotchy paint looks good.  Hard to avoid a monochromatic look but you did well with varying the look.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Beautiful work and nice job with the Flory washes.  Definitely a different effect on semi-gloss vs gloss.    The splotchy paint looks good.  Hard to avoid a monochromatic look but you did well with varying the look.

+1 ! Nicely done, Kevin 👍 

Hubert

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kev

Sweet! Some mighty nice and fast work on the B-25. I've used Flory washes fory decades and and they are my go to panel line wash. I normally use them over a gloss finish when I just want the panels lines highlighted. Semi matt and even matt, leaves an weathered effect as the wash clings to the textured finished. 

🏆

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Kev

Sweet! Some mighty nice and fast work on the B-25. I've used Flory washes fory decades and and they are my go to panel line wash. I normally use them over a gloss finish when I just want the panels lines highlighted. Semi matt and even matt, leaves an weathered effect as the wash clings to the textured finished. 

🏆

Me, too!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Thanks Chris it works for me seems it would of been that way in real life to a point on fading.;)

8 hours ago, HubertB said:

+1 ! Nicely done, Kevin 👍 

Hubert

Thanks Hubert! I appreciate the compliment for a few days was thinking the point of attacking the paint may of been insufficient .;)

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Kev

🏆

Did not know they been around that long Peter just been seeing the name of late.I wanted a dirty finish being in the PTO(ETO different) was not sure about the color being used it works for the most part.Thanks!;)

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

Really nice finish Kevin. 

Cheers

Martin

Thanks Martin still a far cry from yours and Rob's talent I tried doing some fuel leaks on the bottom from AK not subtle enough or realistic lets say.I think more success would of been pulled off using oils.:hsmack:

• Like 2

• KevinM changed the title to Academy 1/48 B-25PBJ-1D--Finished
1 hour ago, JohnB said:

Great looking PBJ Kevin. Nice work. 🙂

Thanks John!You think I guessed right to go White on the LG's?

51 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

Looks great , interesting colours from the standard metal or drab . I like flory washes on NMF , don't use them on much else . 

Congrats on not producing a tial sitter ! 

Appreciate that Guy the effect came out pretty good could of been a little softer but that's part of the curve.I am playing with a 1/72 Japanese "Helen" it will be NMF I might go play.I am having to resort to painting the framing on the glass by hand with a pedicure brush:huh:

helen.webp

• Confused 1

I have to say I really didn't notice the white gear but since you asked I think aluminum would have been the way to go. At any rate, checking my library that covers such things, I think aluminum would be correct. I did a 1/48 PBJ a while back and I did the gear in Alclad aluminum. Now this isn't to say your model is "wrong" as there may have been some PBJ's with white gear. At any rate, your model looks really good. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, KevinM said:

Thanks John!You think I guessed right to go White on the LG's?

Appreciate that Guy the effect came out pretty good could of been a little softer but that's part of the curve.I am playing with a 1/72 Japanese "Helen" it will be NMF I might go play.I am having to resort to painting the framing on the glass by hand with a pedicure brush:huh:

helen.webp

I cheat on small scales and use Sharpie pens instead of masking n painting  :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JohnB said:

I have to say I really didn't notice the white gear but since you asked I think aluminum would have been the way to go. At any rate, checking my library that covers such things, I think aluminum would be correct. I did a 1/48 PBJ a while back and I did the gear in Alclad aluminum. Now this isn't to say your model is "wrong" as there may have been some PBJ's with white gear. At any rate, your model looks really good. 🙂

Thanks John value the input  you do more navy in the PTo than I would ever thought of doing.Thanks Again.;)

14 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

I cheat on small scales and use Sharpie pens instead of masking n painting  :)

I guess that would work Guy the width of these frames is like 1/64" or so I might drop by HobbyLobby tomorrow.?;)

Oh it's 1/72 still braille just using the pic to show all the frames.;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KevinM said:

Thanks John value the input  you do more navy in the PTo than I would ever thought of doing.Thanks Again.;)

I guess that would work Guy the width of these frames is like 1/64" or so I might drop by HobbyLobby tomorrow.?;)

You are very welcome Kevin. I'm always glad to help (or at least try to!).

3 minutes ago, KevinM said:

Oh it's 1/72 still braille just using the pic to show all the frames.;)

I don't believe that 1/72 is really proper modelling (to me anyway)  so let myself of the hook with cheats like that. Although having seen Kris's biplane might have to change my attititude :)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, JohnB said:

Here's a book on Marine PBJ's Kevin that has some good info and photos. Just thought I'd throw that out there! 🙂

2024-08-25 - p.jpg

2024-08-25 - p51jw.jpg

Loookie silver to me plug it in the memory hold,;)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

I don't believe that 1/72 is really proper modelling (to me anyway)  so let myself of the hook with cheats like that. Although having seen Kris's biplane might have to change my attititude :)

Yeah Kriss's work in 1/72 is mind blowing:blink:

• Like 2