Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

SH 1/48 SMB2 Mystere; IAI Sa'ar: Update: 9/4/24: Moving Forward

Getting Started

FTCEW6.jpg

KIexI9.jpg

Bjggzb.jpg

Seems just like a lot of the guys, I’m all charged up about the Sandbox GB and am planning at least two builds with the first being the brand new Special Hobby 1/48 SMB2 Super Mystere; IAI Sa’ar.

Build plan is for an IAI Sa’ar of No. 105 Scorpion Sqn, Hatzor, Israel early 1970s.

Around 2 AM on the September 1st, I cracked open the kit and had a good look. Beautifully molded as the Sa’ar showed all the signs of a Special Hobby limited run kit. I had also purchased the Eduard PE set but when I looked inside the kit box, there was a yellow CMK box, loaded with 3D printed detail parts – WOW! Since the kit was the High Tech version, a lot of the details in the Eduard set wouldn’t be needed and that’s fine.

Remembering how delicate the 3D printed ejection seat was for the GWH A-10C (still waiting for its turn on the bench), I was beyond extra careful cutting the seat free of all the printing lines. OMG, the seat is beautiful and the detail is amazing. Earlier this afternoon, I finished building the ejection seat and was just blown away with the crisp and exquisite details.  

A number of parts as I looked through the 3D parts box will require some kit surgery to work into place but that’s to be expected.

I reviewed both the kit instructions and Eduards instructions, so I have an idea of what goes where and when. Guess I’ve been more then spoiled after a steady diet of Quinta Sets and adding the Eduard PE cockpit details, just wasn’t as rewarding. The majority of the PE details are now in place using a combination of both CA and Micro Krystal Klear.

Paints will be mostly MRP and I’m guessing that CA glues are needed for the 3D painted parts. Care needs to be taken as the IAI green for the Sa’ar is darker then the current cammo green and luckily my MRP Israeli Commo set contains both greens. More on that down the road.

So far, I managed to soak all the frets in a few tubs of warm water and Dawn to remove the mold release agent I felt on them and with a clean bench, I’m off to the races.

I’ve started on the front office and hopefully tomorrow will include the first of my build photos – just no time today to set up and do any photography.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

Be a cracking build - this is a short run (ie awkward) model ?

Best I can do is share pic of a Mystere from my  Newark trip earlier this summer 

temp-Image-KKo-OPa.avif

Great pic, PW, but it’s a -4, not a SMB-2 …

But you’re forgiven. After all, the Javelin and the Vulcan looked the same (says the offended Frenchman with a revengeful sarcasm :stirthepot:  :rtfm:  :popo:  :poo:)

Hubert, the French Avenger :ph34r:🥖🇫🇷 👨‍🎨

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thanks Chris

So far the 3D details from CMK are amazing and as I get into the front office, the joystick has more kit molded detail then the rest of the cockpit - now how about that. Not planning on spending a lot of time on the office as once he seat, IP (Eduard PE) and joystick are added, not much else can be seen and more then enough. I'm pretty sure, this build will be all about the IAI desert cammo.

• Like 4

THE FRONT OFFICE

Diving head first into the GB build, I’ve broken down the front office into two main parts: the office itself and the highlight will be the gorgeous CMK 3D printed ejection seat.

A good few hours were spent cleaning up the parts and removing the ever present molding lines and then the release agent in warm water and Dawn. All the parts were primed with MRP Black Primer as the office is black.

The Eduard PE cockpit parts were added with only the large electrical box on the rear bulkhead needing to be folded and then added. Lastly some light dry brushing with Tamiya XF54 Dark Sea Gray to pick out the few molded on details.

A lot of fussing was needed to assemble and add the two part Eduard IP and side consoles, all requiring either CA or Micro Krystal Klear.

I followed the kit’s instructions and air brushed the seat Aircraft Gray and after the update, will be looking forward to a good few days of detail painting.

Nothing as ugly as a macro shot of a 48th scale Eduard IP and thank goodness it looks ok when viewed in its actual size.

FS numbers are correct.

rJTcxQ.jpg

D793VQ.jpg

mLxUbf.jpg

T1n4ty.jpg

sIuTHU.jpg

PJomWn.jpg

Zxurdi.jpg

7jeCZ6.jpg

• Like 11

• Peterpools changed the title to SH 1/48 SMB2 Mystere; IAI Sa'ar: Update: 9/2/24: The Front Office.

Thanks Martin, so very much appreciated. I've been painting the ejection seat for a good part of the day and am actually treating it as painting a figure - it's just so detailed and the more I look into its shadows, the more details that are actually there. Just amazing technology.

• Like 2

That seat is absolutely girgeous’ especially fir 1/48. As for Eduard’s IP, I think even my printer has a better resolution :( 

But you’re right, this won’t be as obvious to the naked eye. And the seat will eclipse all other details.

Keep it coming.

Hubert

• Like 3

Hubert

Right with you a 100%. Eduard's PE IP's seem to have always suffered from this grainy finish and another reason why I have gone all out with Quinta detail sets when there is one. Not obvious in scale but it's there just the same.

Just can't say enough about the incredible ejection seat detail - just amazing. Spent the entire day very carefully detail brush painting the seat and OMG, it does look tremendous - almost like painting a figure. 

• Like 2