Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1/48 Eduard F2B in the Middle East

This was what I planned on building till I got carried away with tanks .. I have two boxings , Eduard Weekend (no PE) and Roden ..from my earlier burst of biplane building in January. Both have marking for planes in Palestine. I'm going Eduard for this one . 

It's the same one as Mikes marvellous 1/32 build ...this will not be so marvellous and also my first 4 bay biplane . So it could go well or terrible , who knows . 

I do have Mikes amazing 170 page build log/notes to help me . 

temp-Image-Z6ad-Wa.avif

temp-Imageu-Y15hx.avif

temp-Imagewe-V1x-X.avif

temp-Image55qt-Tq.avif

• Like 11

Those that know from the Southwest , can pronounce Bristol as Brizzol.....

Fits good , details good , that'll be Eduard then 

temp-Image-Xb-AO5r.avif

temp-Image21x-LJJ.avif

Not getting too carried away , when it's zipped up 99% of this won't be seen 

temp-Image-Ebni-Pb.avif

• Like 10

Guy,,,,This is exactly the type of airplane I would love to build, but perpetuated fear of failing and lack of mental potential prohibits any attempts. Yet I will follow and support your brave efforts and cheer you up on this treacherous journey to the string bag Walhalla . 

Cheeers

Martin

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 9/5/2024 at 3:38 PM, PanzerWomble said:

Do love the Brisfit ...some pix I took at Shuttleworth in the summer . This one still flies ! 

temp-Imagehx-PG11.avif

temp-Image-I3-HEk8.avif

temp-Image-St-O6gt.avif

temp-Imaget4-Tmc-K.avif

temp-Imagej-Cq9f8.avif

Nice machine and some Nice work Guy!;)

• Like 5

And and here......... we are threading camels through needles ....pre rigging .

So we have some 0.2mm copper wire , cut out of some cheap multi strand wire . 

This bent around the hook on the old airbrush needle and twisted together to make a loop (0.4mm) 

Drill 0.5mm holes in model and CA glue the loops into the model as anchor points for the rigging . 

A nice thickness gauge is useful for sorting it all out .

I tried making loops from 0.3mm once, but it was too heavy for the scale . 

You can of course buy all these from Gaspatch and save the bother. :)

I tend to make a bunch of loops in a batch when not making a model and then it becomes less effort to interrupt the build .

Next is small tubes to represent the turnbuckles ( you can buy them as well) and it will all be rigged with 0.135mm Infini elastic rigging thread. 

But first - paint and then build the wings .  

The Eduard kit is good, thin single piece wings , good fit etc and cheap - shopping around & I bought it for £16 . So it it goes West I'm not crying into my WingNut pillow. 

Cheerz

temp-Image-Sjh-Sj6.avif

temp-Image-Ckjdp-J.avif

temp-Imagej-Ksw7-U.avif

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

I would probably inhale those things without even noticing, but that's ok, keep showing off :) Looking really good.!

Cheers

Martin

make 5 use 3 ....CA other two to fingers etc . 🫠

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Great work on those loops. I feel the pain of this micro-work. I often wonder why we inflict this to ourselves…

Now producing these loops was the easy part. The tough one is going to be threading the elastic thread, which seems to have a life of its own more exciting than a snake’s one, through those 0.3 mm tubes :)

Hubert

• Like 6

PW: I also did a foray into WWI biplanes but never got into the loops and turnbuckles for that exact reason - OMG so small even in 1/24 scale.  But the effort is definitely worth the look.  Can't wait to see the next steps.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

PW: I also did a foray into WWI biplanes but never got into the loops and turnbuckles for that exact reason - OMG so small even in 1/24 scale.  But the effort is definitely worth the look.  Can't wait to see the next steps.

Cheers- FYI I did a Pfalz and a Albatross back in January the rigging doesn't phase me too much -I found you get in the rhythm of it after an hour or so ..... but not having any white paint for a few days is  🤣 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

This develops nicely, PW. I like your rigging efforts, which are similar to my method, but I use pre fab eyelets from Bob´s Buckles. When these are gone, I will fabricate my own as well. 
I prefer Chameleon fishing line for rigging, as it adds some sturdyness to the wings, whenever possible. For 1/32, I use aluminum tube with an inner diameter of 0,3 mm and outer of 0,5 mm. The fishing line got fiddled through once, then through the eyelet and a second pass through the tube, tautened and secured with a tiny drop of CA. When you choose the right diameter of fishing line, the rigging is almost self securing.
Elastic thread, I use only for areas, which are hard to reach on both sides, like between the fuselage and the nacelles of my AEG G.IV build lately.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, DocRob said:

This develops nicely, PW. I like your rigging efforts, which are similar to my method, but I use pre fab eyelets from Bob´s Buckles. When these are gone, I will fabricate my own as well. 
I prefer Chameleon fishing line for rigging, as it adds some sturdyness to the wings, whenever possible. For 1/32, I use aluminum tube with an inner diameter of 0,3 mm and outer of 0,5 mm. The fishing line got fiddled through once, then through the eyelet and a second pass through the tube, tautened and secured with a tiny drop of CA. When you choose the right diameter of fishing line, the rigging is almost self securing.
Elastic thread, I use only for areas, which are hard to reach on both sides, like between the fuselage and the nacelles of my AEG G.IV build lately.

Cheers Rob

I think the home made eyelets and cut tubes ( Albion brass in my case) are probably a bit overscale for 1/48 , more in line with 1/32 ?

I cheat with the ezyline and run it as a single continuous thread around the entire bay if possible, so one eyelet does two jobs. (FRAUD !!) 

Max recommended PRYM thread on his builds , which I also own but have not used yet, as it is clear and probably better for later RAF aircraft? 

I'm still on the fence a bit with biplanes, I'm doing cheap 1/48 ones as a way of measuring up if I want to take the cost plunge on 1/32 and throw myself into learning the required skills set or just keep on dabbling. Bit like ship building as well with me .

At some point I may commit to one of the other , or maybe neither ! 😆

• Like 3

I own the Prym thread as well and will try it, when I build my first British biplane, as it has a flat profile. 
EZ-line never worked for me, just too wobbly to pass through loops and tubes several times, but bought some Infini 0,135 mm flexible thread lately, which is far better to use with my rigging method.
BTW, I use a sharp blade to roll the Albion aluminum or brass tubes for cutting them. Way better than using a razor saw, which causes a lot of burr.

Cheers Rob

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, DocRob said:

I own the Prym thread as well and will try it, when I build my first British biplane, as it has a flat profile. 
EZ-line never worked for me, just too wobbly to pass through loops and tubes several times, but bought some Infini 0,135 mm flexible thread lately, which is far better to use with my rigging method.
BTW, I use a sharp blade to roll the Albion aluminum or brass tubes for cutting them. Way better than using a razor saw, which causes a lot of burr.

Cheers Rob

My bad - yes the Infini is also what I use- imported  at vast expense from Japan . The Prym is flat that explains why for British . 

I picked up the notes from the late Des Dellatores' Website  when I had a first go at an Academy Camel ... :) which are 

Still there in 2024.

Just looked back on TOP.......... that build was in 2012 😳, when my skills were nowhere near what I needed to do it justice ...and that project was binned for sure ....

Time flies ! 

Back on track after an armour interlude.

Lower wing on and jigged up in my bipe jig ready for the pairing .

Paper sheet to the right is cut to the angle of the wings to align the fuse and then all pegged out to hold it still . Can't remember where I picked this trick up from but it is useful . 

Tomorrow is top wing and starting the knitting .

temp-Image-YX364f.avif

• Like 5