Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Special Hobby 1/32 -Tempest Mk.VI -Egypt 1949

History:Tempest Mk.6 NX135/V No.6 squadron RAF,Deversoir,Egypt,1949.The machine was also seen and photographed at Nicosia base,Cyprus.It is one of only a handful of Tempest to carry a bare metal finish(NMF).One of the pilots who are reported to have flown this machine was F/L Spragg, who on the 7th January 1949 took part in the aerial engagement between Tempest and Spitfires of the RAF and Spitfires of the fledgling IAF.On this day Spragg sat in another Tempest and slightly damaged Ezer Weizmann's Spitfire with his guns.

sandbox 2 002.JPG

sandbox 2 003.JPG

sandbox 2 001.JPG

• Like 12

Kev

Nice choice for the GB and thank you for the historical background' as it always adds a lot to the build thread for me. 

I'm pretty sure this is going to be your second SH Tempest and your all set to deal with the wheel well and gear fit issues.

Looking forward to following and I'm on board for the journey. :popcorn:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

I'm pretty sure this is going to be your second SH Tempest and your all set to deal with the wheel well and gear fit issues.

Looking forward to following and I'm on board for the journey. :popcorn:

Peter SH must of been listening to the complaints about the instructions much better in this box.;)

• Like 4

The copit is finished it's such a thinker to get it together and all those pins aligned right but happened with some persuasion.The seat came out really Nice meaning paint wise II was able to paint the brass rings for the threads up top very very well and painted the leather sting in yellow chromate it worked.I may try to get a better level shot if the camera will let me.I am not far from closing of the fuselage and off to the wings the fit of the Mk VI seems better than the last Tempest the Mk V:hsmack:;)

sandbox 2 001.JPG

sandbox 2 002.JPG

sandbox 2 003.JPG

sandbox 2 004.JPG

sandbox 2 005.JPG

sandbox 2 006.JPG

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Nicely done Kevin - seat and belts are especially nice!

Thanks again Mike she has not developed a lot of interest yet.I thought the belts while up close are so-so from a foot or two look just fine it's not one of Quinta's better offering in that area.Quintas supplied a piece for the seat but I thought I did better hand painting it and I laid a Florrys dust in the seat seams to break it up.This kit is definitely fitting together better than the Mk-V already tested the wings out looks like none or very little filler will be needed.;)

• Like 7

Looking very good, Kevin, I like the detailed front office. I have the same kit in my stash and it itched me sometimes to start it, because I love the NMF Tempest a lot. I forgot to consider the kit for the Sandbox GB though, but will follow your progress closely.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I pretty much got the wing built and ready for the first primer.The radiators on the wing for those with the kit and thinking of building disregard the kit's instructions.I built the R/wing radiator to the bottom as instructed leaving out R20 for late next attach the top cover and once good and dry insert R20.The same happens on the L/wing bottom,top and sand L20 to fit without issues.The kit instructions has you build it then attach as a unit both sides the wing to rad fit in my case was off could be operator error but what I just described fit.It looks like nothing but Valleyo Filler is all that will be needed around the wing root.;)

sandbox 2 001.JPG

sandbox 2 002.JPG

sandbox 2 003.JPG

• Like 7

Kev

Holy smokes, the front office looks amazing - awesome work. Nice going on the radiators and the wheel wells - - nice to know by not following the instructions all went together well.  Surely the amount of CC the kit manufacture used, didn't involve building a test kit from the instructions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Kev

Holy smokes, the front office looks amazing - awesome work. Nice going on the radiators and the wheel wells - - nice to know by not following the instructions all went together well.  Surely the amount of CC the kit manufacture used, didn't involve building a test kit from the instructions. 

Thanks Peter as to the radiators it could of been me but could see doing the way I did it gave a good fit to the wing I am constantly test fitting as I go along.I am finding as I go along researching still that it's more a 60/40% that this A/C might not of been NMF?A fella on another forum is going to possibly send me some pics of "NX 135" he has.He mentioned  in some pics NMF to which would be rare most were painted silver and if I remember right he said he has pics of MK V's in NMF?just waiting now still a ways from more paint.;)

• Like 3

Kev

Nothing like constantly test fitting and double checking to make the instructions are correct and the parts actually fit- geez so many times these days the instructions aren't correct. Could be the kits are just getting too complicated and the manufacturer just hadn't allotted enough time and resources to double check and make the corrections. 

Nothing like good research and its eye opening when new information, especially the airframe finish comes to light BEFORE the paint work is done.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for looking in fellas and the likes she is on hold for a couple days I guess the black base just did not want to cooperate came out pebbly and my Mr.Surfacer 1200 was super slick.I cleaned the gun this morning pulled out a 1/72 scale F-106 Dart and sprayed that black again success mental note always clean the gun for NMF.I have started finishing that 4' case for the Scharnhorst as I await for the Tempest to fully cure before proceeding..;)

• Like 1