The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

So what have you got?

James H

• Administrators

In a mirror topic to the one we have going about what new model-related stuff we have, how about one for what military relic stuff do you have?

This would be rather cool to update as we get new stuff. I'll start the ball rolling with my entire port-side window frame for a Ju 88C-0. This one is from the actual machine on an AIMS decal sheet, so I suppose I should really build it. This one suffered engine failure and belly-landed on a Norwegian mountain side.

DSC02305.jpg

DSC02307.jpg

DSC02308.jpg

DSC02309.jpg

• Like 2

I only have one true artifact. An M1 Carbine that can be traced to my grandfather in WWII. I've had it authenticated, and have the rifle, sling, oiler, magazine and Tech manual, all original. I take it out once every couple of months and pop about 50 rounds or so off in it. Still works beautifully! I've actually used it as a reference in some of my diorama builds. I'll post a pic of it, if anyone is interested.

Other than that, I have the distinct advantage of living very close to 3 museums, which are well stocked with artifacts from WWI to the present. I also work in a major command building that not only has equipment and uniform displays built into the walls, but a very large archive containing items from the mid 18th century to the present. I spend a lot of time talking to the historians, who are more than willing to show me what they have.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Nice topic!! 

And finally one where Cees can post his AMAZING halifax cockpit. 

Hi Lawman: I also own and shoot an M1 carbine. Pretty cool guns. Small but pretty accurate.

Other than that I own some small bits and bobs I try to match my builds with :)

• Like 2

First, sorry it took me so long to post this, but between work & family, I seemed to be lacking time. Anyway, here it is, my pride and joy:

20131229_063808-1_zps0bd884ce.jpg

My M1 Carbine, manufactured by the Underwood corporation in April of 1944.

20131229_063825_zps4f3e7da8.jpg

Here's the Technical Bulletin that was issued with the rifle. Only thing I'm lacking, is the M4 bayonet. Maybe someday.

I do know that my grandfather carried this rifle in WWII, and landed in Normandy on D+1. He grew up in a German speaking neighborhood in New York City, so he became an interpreter for Army Intelligence. I'm not sure if the TB came with this particular rifle, or if he picked it up later. He was an avid gun collector, both before and after the war, so either is possible. Upon his death in 1984, this was one of 3 guns willed to me, and the only one with historical value.

As you can see, I keep it maintained to a high standard, and still shoot it quite regularly. I do know that he replaced the flip type aperture sight with a graduated ramp style towards the end of the war, just prior to his return. Some sort of deal he struck with a supply guy and involving a Luger.

If, at any time, anyone would like better pics as reference, let me know. I'd be more than happy!

• Like 1

Lawman,

Beautiful rifle. I can see why it's your pride and joy. It must feel great to shoot something that your grandfather used in such an important moment in history. Thanks for sharing the photo and story.

Cheers,

Wayne

Great looking M1! I would love to get my hands on one of these one day!

Dave,

The M1 Carbine has one of the smoothest actions of any weapon I've ever fired, and I've fired quite a few weapons in my life. Accuracy is superb. Extremely low recoil, as well. Almost non-existent. If you ever get the chance to, fire one!

Ironically, when the US Army switched service rifles after WWII, they entered the Korean War fielding the M1A, (or M2 Carbine). Same as the M1, except select fire, giving it the ability to shoot semi, or fully automatic. Needing a harder hitting weapon, they replaced the M1A/M2 with the M14. The M14, is essentially a larger caliber version, (7.62mm or .308 cal) of the M1.

Of course, we all know they changed their minds again, and went from the M14 to the M16/M4 family. Now the M14 is making a comeback and being used in the field again. Especially by the Marines.

The US government, indecisive as ever.....lol!

The M-1A/M-14 was intended to replace the M-1 Garand and the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR). And as usual, trying to replace 2 weapons with one usually fails. I was privileged to have a select fire M-14 as my issue weapon when I was a HH-1K Crew Chief.

• Like 1

That's what makes the US Army so great. When you say M1, ya gotta specify, could be an Abrams tank, Garand, Carbine, Thompson, etc.... Glad that crap stopped when they changed the M1A to M2 once it was fielded, (or there about, anyway). Of course, M2 could also mean Ma Duece......

I never got to play with a military version of the M14. So it was select fire? Interesting, I always thought it was semi, like the Garand. I carried an M16A1 with M203 attached, and an M1911A1, (replaced in 1989, sadly, by the M9), when I was an MP. I did get to use the M60, M2HB, and M12 shotgun. For the record, "bayonet" is a misnomer for that shotgun. It should be called a dirk or short sword!

Thanks James.  I'd really love to find more Ju 88 parts as well as some Do 335 and He 219 parts.  I know that's pretty far fetched but knowing I'll never own a real one I'll have to settle for a room full of 1/32 versions.

N.