The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Long Wire Antenna

RalphSarc

I have seen on numerous finished WW2 aircraft beautifully detaied long wire attends complete with insulators etc. How are those done and is there a retail supplier of the insulators etc?

To date I have used black thread!

Thanks for the feed back.

Ralph.

• Members

Ralph, I used a product called EZ line, it works great for this application:

http://www.berkshirejunction.com/ezline.html

There are different methods for the insulators but I typically use Elmer's White Glue.  I've also been able to purchase very small gauge springs that are used for remote RC cars for the tensioning springs that were used in some aircraft.

Bf10914AS_Red10_1.JPG

• Like 1

• Members

Matt, they come from a Japanese company called LINE.  I have no idea if they're available outside of Japan.  I'll see if I can track a set down for you next time I'm up in Tokyo though.

• Like 1

I still prefer "fishing line" otherwise known as monofiliment.  I don't really like EZ line as it's actually flat and can be a bit lumpy.

As for springs, just take your smallest drill bit (like a #80 or smaller) and then take strand of fine wire from a telephone cord and wind it around the smooth end of the drill bit.  Very easy to do.  I use this method of all the aerial wires (see completed builds in sig for photos)

Doug

• Members

I prefer stretched sprue to fishing line - mainly for its magical "go taut" abilities. Monofilament has that to some extent, but it's a lot more temperamental. 

As for tension springs...every time I've tried to make springs on my own, the problem I come across is that they're very easy to mess up after the fact (squeeze just a bit too hard with tweezers, pull on attaching line wrong, etc).

That's why I like the A-Spring, it's steel so it's very tough.  You can step on the stuff and it still keep it's shape.

• Members

Yes sorry Doogs but I can't see myself stretch spruce!!

Interesting about making insulators from Elmers glue. How is that done??

I just use a toothpick to apply a dab on the wire, you can paint it to the appropriate color once it dries.

I just read in one of the Modelers mags that somebody just brought out some new elastic rigging suppose to be somewhere in between EZ-line .03mm and .06mm but I'll be be damned if I can remember which mag it was in, by any chance did anyone one else happen to read the same review as I did, If so would that someone also happen to remember WHO it is that's bringing it out I HOPE :)

Paul

After reading all the kind advice given on this tread and a few other sources via the internet I had pretty good success with the bead hobby thread my wife gave me. I used black painted super glue drops as insulators. I'm pleased with the results on the BF110!

D3315D95-FC95-4297-809C-39756F62B35F_zps

• Like 1

I got my order am quite please with it altho not much different from EZ-line it is easier to work with because it doesn't bunch up in little curls

The Standard size is good for 1/32 aerial wires which .005 wear-as the fine would be good for 1/48 .003 don't know if that's metric or INCH.

Paul

I got my order am quite please with it altho not much different from EZ-line it is easier to work with because it doesn't bunch up in little curls

The Standard size is good for 1/32 aerial wires which .005 wear-as the fine would be good for 1/48 .003 don't know if that's metric or INCH.

Paul

Paul thanks for the info concerning scale size. Unsure what gauge/size the hobby tread  is that I have but i will be on the lookout for .005 in the future for my upcoming JU88 and Me111P builds.

Ralph.

Ralph the .005 looks real close to 1/32 scale, BUT the most important  reason that I use the elastic line is because accidents do happen and aerial wires do get broken and at the most appropriate  times since I've been using this material I have saved myself a lot of grief repairing said wires. Granted it's not for everybody but I like and I'll use it.

Ralph PM me A Address and I'll send you a spool of EZ-Line the I won't be using, or if you don't want it who ever does PM me their address and I'll send it to them got two sizes both .003 & .006 After Ralph first come first serve (OH YA NO CHARGE)

Paul

Ralph the .005 looks real close to 1/32 scale, BUT the most important  reason that I use the elastic line is because accidents do happen and aerial wires do get broken and at the most appropriate  times since I've been using this material I have saved myself a lot of grief repairing said wires. Granted it's not for everybody but I like and I'll use it.

Ralph PM me A Address and I'll send you a spool of EZ-Line the I won't be using, or if you don't want it who ever does PM me their address and I'll send it to them got two sizes both .003 & .006 After Ralph first come first serve (OH YA NO CHARGE)

Paul

Wow thanks for the offer. I just PM my address.

Ralph.

Ralph I got your PM and Address  I'll get them in the mail in the morning you should get it in a couple of days I think the .006 is a little out of scale for 1/32 but I have used it for 1/24 scale I'll also send you a few little extras tidbits I scored tiny white and black beads that can be used for insulators I have used Elmer's White glue and Super glue for insulators also for a lone time.

Paul