The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

WW2 German Tamiya paint colors.

RalphSarc

My Neo airbrush should arrive today so I'm shopping for WW2 German Tamiya paint colors.

What are the most commonly used upper and lower fuselage colors, interior colors, propeller and spinner colors etc? I notice yellow was also used system wide to note squadrons and theaters.

There are a few good deals on eBay for a mixed choose of either 5 or ten bottles.

Also I would assume a good quality thinner from Home Depot could be used to thin?

As always and suggests would be greatly appreciated.

Ralph

• Like 1

Wow. I just came here to ask a very similar question. I am stocking up on kits (kinda) and am looking to load up on RLM colors. The only local hobby store has the whole Model Master line and I think I would prefer enamels since that's what I used to use. Kinda wondering what the "must have" colors would be.

Looks like you an I are in the same adventure of a return to the hobby. Good luck with the new airbrush!

• Like 1

I use same name thinner/reducer to paint. Tamiya is an acrylic based paint and will not mix with petroleum based thinner, maybe with thinner.. Don't know. I spend a lot of money and time on a kit. Not going to blow it over not spending $9 on a bottle the same name thinner. If you will notice, Tamiya sells very few colors that are nationality or make specific. Their kit instructions only call out their brand of colors. And thats usually a mixture of 2,3 or even 4 of their colors. When it comes to RLM colors, I prefer the MM enamel line. But....I hear that 2 of their colors are swap. RLM 75 is swapped with 76 or verse visa. Will need Mikester to clarify if he isn't to busy playing with his privates after how his San Jose Sharks are dismantling my Kings. My recommendation, in the USA, for acrylic RLM color would be the Mr. Color line using the Mr. Color thinner. Might have to add Mr Color Retarder depending on your local weather traits. I use lacquer thinner for airbrush cleaner for all types of paint.

Hey Ralph!

I really, really love Tamiya acrylics (and Gunze aqueous, if you can find it). I have recently discovered that Tamiya acrylics spray beautifully when thinned with Gunze "Mr. Color Levelling Thinner". Some find the odor of the Gunze thinner a bit much though; Tamiya sprays well with their own thinner as well. In a pinch, I have also used 91% alcohol with a drop or two of acrylic retarder added in.

The biggest problem with Tamiya acrylics, IMHO, is that they (usually) are not direct matches for RLM colors and require a bit of mixing. One exception seems to be their "German Grey", which appears to be a close match to RLM 66. On the other hand, their "RLM Grey" is NOT a particularly close match to RLM 02 (by itself, anyway...it needs mixing). Many folks simply use XF-23 straight from the bottle as a match for RLM 65, but this seems a bit too blue to me; I use the mix below.

As for specific mixes, I snagged this from "another site". I have used a number of the mixes delineated here, and they certainly look the part (to my eye):

RLM 02 Grau
Interior colour, also used as overall colour on prototypes
XF22:1 + XF49:1

RLM 61 Dunkelbraun
Pre-war splinter scheme
X09+black

RLM 62 Grün
Pre-war splinter scheme
XF65

RLM 63 Hellgrau
Pre-war splinter scheme. Also used for overall schemes. Some sources claim that this and RLM 02 are the same colour
XF25

RLM 65 Hellblau
Lower surfaces
XF23:1 + XF2:1

RLM 70 Schwartzgrun
Wartime splinter scheme
XF62:1 + XF49:1 (XF27, XF13)

RLM 71 Dunkelgrun
Wartime splinter scheme
XF62:1 + XF49:1

RLM 74 Graugrün
Top camouflage on fighter aircraft from 1941. Also referred to as Dunkelgrau.
XF24:3 + XF27:2

RLM 75 Grauviolett
Top camouflage on fighter aircraft from 1941. Also referred to as Mittelgrau.
XF24:5 + XF50:1

RLM 76 Lichtblau
Lower surfaces on fighter a/c. Also used extensively for night fighters.
XF2:7 + XF23:1 + XF66:2

RLM 79 Sandbraun
Mediterranean scheme
XF59:3 + XF64:1

RLM 80 Olivegrün
Blotches in mediterranean scheme
XF58

RLM 81 Braunviolett
Late-war topside camouflage
XF51:1 + XF64:2

RLM 82 Lichtgrün
Late-war topside camouflage. Often confused with 83
XF5 or XF5:1 + XF2:1 or XF5:1 +XF3:1

RLM 83 Dunkelgrün
Late-war topside camouflage. Often confused with 82
XF61 or XF24:1 + XF51:1

Light Green-Grey
Used towards end of the war on lower surfaces of fighter a/c
XF21

The RLM color match discussion is ongoing...and legendary ;) I just go with what "looks right".

Regards and good luck with the new airbrush!

Ed

• Like 1

The RLM color match discussion is ongoing...and legendary ;) I just go with what "looks right".

Regards and good luck with the new airbrush!

Ed

Followed closely by the "Lets all fight like little girls on IDF armor colors from 1948 to hell freezes over debate".

• Like 3

But....I hear that 2 of their colors are swap. RLM 75 is swapped with 76 or verse visa. My recommendation, in the USA, for acrylic RLM color would be the Mr. Color line using the Mr. Color thinner. Might have to add Mr Color Retarder depending on your local weather traits. I use lacquer thinner for airbrush cleaner for all types of paint.

Hi guys it was RLM 82 Light Green and RLM 83 Dark Green that were incorrectly swapped around. I don't think they ever correctly re-branded but I am not sure. I have re coded bottles of mine that I know where incorrect but I don't have any new ones to compare with at the moment.

This table here will help with your RLM  (and just about any other colours): http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/colorcharts.asp as well as here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70597-rlm-luftwaffe-comparison-chart/

I use MM enamels but I have friends that swear by Mr Color.

Regards,

Kent

• Like 1

Hi guys it was RLM 82 Light Green and RLM 83 Dark Green that were incorrectly swapped around. I don't think they ever correctly re-branded but I am not sure. I have re coded bottles of mine that I know where incorrect but I don't have any new ones to compare with at the moment.

This table here will help with your RLM  (and just about any other colours): http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/colorcharts.asp as well as here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70597-rlm-luftwaffe-comparison-chart/

I use MM enamels but I have friends that swear by Mr Color.

Regards,

Kent

Thanks for this Kent. The first link was exactly what I was looking for! Looking forward to using my new airbrush!

Another vote for thinning Tamiya paints with Gunze Mr. Leveling Thinner. I use typical hardware store lacquer thinner for flushing out and cleaning the airbrush, but for actual painting I use the good stuff. To me MLT has a lot less odor than the Klean Strip or whatever it is I buy at Home Depot.

On beautiful thing about Tamiya + lacquer thinner is that you can thin the paints to a ridiculous degree that most other brands just can't match. Literally to just 10% paint for very subtle filtering effects. It's awesome.

As far as matches...you'll find approximately 500,348 different mixing ratios for RLM colors on the internet. It's actually a great gateway to madness. Personally I try to understand the key qualities of the color I'm going for, then mix my own, sometimes based on an existing recipe, sometimes not.

Oh, and don't sweat Tamiya not having RLM-specific colors. Even Gunze or Model Master - which do - get various levels of "close". Personally I'm not a fan of Gunze RLM 74 and 75, since I find them basically indistinguishable. 

Thanks for the info as it is very helpful. I have a large learning curve ahead of me with this new airbrush figuring all the mixes etc!

Ralph

• 5 years later...

I did those perfectly RLM 02 and RLM 81:

RLM 02 Gray

XF 22 50% + XF55 50%

RLM 81 Brown Violet

XF 64 83% + XF 3 17%

Most of the modelers get those wrong, even museums do like Flying Heritage in Everett WA.

I had three people compare my mixes to color chart from "Luftwaffe Painting Guide" color chart by Smith, Pentland & Lutz

Also RLM 82 is dark green and RLM 83 is light green, not vice versa.

Late war cammo was LOW CONTRAST 81/82 and 76 on the bottom.

On 4/24/2014 at 10:42 AM, RalphSarc said:

My Neo airbrush should arrive today so I'm shopping for WW2 German Tamiya paint colors.

What are the most commonly used upper and lower fuselage colors, interior colors, propeller and spinner colors etc? I notice yellow was also used system wide to note squadrons and theaters.

There are a few good deals on eBay for a mixed choose of either 5 or ten bottles.

Also I would assume a good quality thinner from Home Depot could be used to thin?

As always and suggests would be greatly appreciated.

Ralph

Since you're just up in Woodstock, are you able to get to the HobbyTown in Kennesaw? Their armor selection has been shrinking, and they don't seem to get many 1/32 planes but they have lots of supplies. I am so stocked up now I only get there every few months but driving the 70-mile round trip for Tamiya and the rest still ends up cheaper than ordering them online.

Mr Color RLM 81 is not even close. RLM 83 is to dark. RLM 76 to blue = pretty much RLM 65. 74,75 are ok, Haven't seen 82.

I believe that Mr Colors are LACQUERS. They require different thinners than TAMIYA ACRILICS.

The same goes for AK Real Colors series, all Lacquer paints. You have to use Mr.Color Leveling Thinner 400, or just Thinner 400.

On 9/6/2019 at 6:35 AM, smuga44 said:

Mr Color RLM 81 is not even close. RLM 83 is to dark. RLM 76 to blue = pretty much RLM 65. 74,75 are ok, Haven't seen 82.

I believe that Mr Colors are LACQUERS. They require different thinners than TAMIYA ACRILICS.

The same goes for AK Real Colors series, all Lacquer paints. You have to use Mr.Color Leveling Thinner 400, or just Thinner 400.

Welcome to our little corner of the modelling web. Always great to see new faces......