The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Thrown Under The Bus

rkranias

Last week I had the pleasure of spending time Erik Bosch and his family.  Erik was in the states for the IPMS Nationals and extended his stay to see the sights in Washington DC.

Erik stopped by my home Sunday afternoon for a brief visit then on Wednesday we hosted Eric and his family for an American cook out complete with Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, baked beans, potato chips and Greek style cucumber/tomato/onion/feta salad. 

After dinner Erik, his sons Lucas and Daniel joined me to look at my bench, etc.

I gave Erik an opportunity to take a look at my recently acquired HpH Me410.  As Erik fondled the parts he was explaining to his sons this was a quality kit short run with incredible detail.

Then the words, "this kit is hideously expensive!" rolled out of his mouth.  Unknown to Erik, my wife was standing behind him.   It was a "South Park" silence for a few moments.  We all shared a few laughs.  Shortly after I drove Erik and his family to their hotel, Udvar Hazy was our agenda for the next day.

I returned home, all were asleep.  I carefully prepared for bed taking great efforts not to wake my wife.  As I pulled the covers up for my nights sleep, my wife whispered, "hideously expensive, huh?" 

Still taking about that moment and still chuckling about it.  Erik is now banned from my bench!  :)

• Like 11

You just have to use women logic against them. The 'I bought it on sale' one is a good one along with 'my friend gave it to me' and the classic, when she notices a new kit and asks 'when did you buy that?' the reply is always 'oh I've had this a long time'. She's not going to question you because she knows when she wears those 300 pair of new shoes and you ask 'are those new?' and she replies ' no I bought them ages ago, they were on sale' she doesn't want you questioning her any deeper. :)

• Like 2

Ha.. ha.. :)

Maybe finish the sentence .... in Europe, but thanks to the great exchange rate... etc...

Good job it wasn't the Catalina.!

Matt

Exchange rate theory would not work.  The EU€ is stronger the USD$ 

Dropping the cash for the HpH 410 was a tough sell.  The HpH PBY?  Nope! 

Tell SWMBO something was lost in translation. What you get for lettin' dem dang fahahneers into your house. :lol: Erik....if there was ever a time to be speaking Dutch to your son....that was it!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Funny, there were a few times Erik was speaking to me in his native Dutch and I gave him that WTF did you just say look? 

Hope my idea of an excuse worked!

I told Rick to say that the kit came with all the Aftermarket items required for it!

Ah, Sue knows better.  Remember, I married up!

You just have to use women logic against them. The 'I bought it on sale' one is a good one along with 'my friend gave it to me' and the classic, when she notices a new kit and asks 'when did you buy that?' the reply is always 'oh I've had this a long time'. She's not going to question you because she knows when she wears those 300 pair of new shoes and you ask 'are those new?' and she replies ' no I bought them ages ago, they were on sale' she doesn't want you questioning her any deeper. :)

I often use the "bottle of good wine" analysis.   We hit several good VA (Linden, Delaplane, Fox Meadows) wineries and come home with a case or two of wine.   Again, I married up.  Before I met Sue a good bottle of wine to me was "Sutter Home" or MD 20/20.  So a few "uber" 1:32 kits from time to time is ok.

The shoe thing is pointless in our house.  :)

Dont forgt to tell her that you sold a few kits to pay for it....now thats not lying...

Actually, Sue knows I unloaded a bunch of stash for the HpH 410. 

• Like 2

Last week I had the pleasure of spending time Erik Bosch and his family.  Erik was in the states for the IPMS Nationals and extended his stay to see the sights in Washington DC.

Erik stopped by my home Sunday afternoon for a brief visit then on Wednesday we hosted Eric and his family for an American cook out complete with Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, baked beans, potato chips and Greek style cucumber/tomato/onion/feta salad. 

After dinner Erik, his sons Lucas and Daniel joined me to look at my bench, etc.

I gave Erik an opportunity to take a look at my recently acquired HpH Me410.  As Erik fondled the parts he was explaining to his sons this was a quality kit short run with incredible detail.

Then the words, "this kit is hideously expensive!" rolled out of his mouth.  Unknown to Erik, my wife was standing behind him.   It was a "South Park" silence for a few moments.  We all shared a few laughs.  Shortly after I drove Erik and his family to their hotel, Udvar Hazy was our agenda for the next day.

I returned home, all were asleep.  I carefully prepared for bed taking great efforts not to wake my wife.  As I pulled the covers up for my nights sleep, my wife whispered, "hideously expensive, huh?" 

Still taking about that moment and still chuckling about it.  Erik is now banned from my bench!  :)

Sorry Rick....... I feel very bad about it.... If I remember it right I said that in English because Yvonne ( my own SWMBO) joined us to pull me out of there since we were at Rick's bench already longer (of course...) than I said we would... I felt that saying it in Dutch would exclude Rick and be rude.... Little did I know that Mrs. K. followed Yvonne down the stairs.... I DID try to make up for it by lamely adding that Rick sold four expensive kits to get that one. But just like the Ho 229 or the Do 335; "Too little, too late"!

• 3 weeks later...

Just read this thread and I busted out laughing. I'd had similar thing happened while back and now I just try to play the blame game....it's not mine and I'm holding it for so and so...:D although, I'm running out of friendly names.

Btw, Erik it's ok to take couple off lumps for the community. Especially, since it's L-39 kit is in the question ;)

Mike