The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32nd scale Short Stirling - wing internals

Having built a Lancaster and Halifax in 1/32nd, I thought I'd have a go at completing the 'Big Three' of RAF WWII heavies and add a 1/32nd Short Stirling to my collection.

I ordered this monster from Tigger Models, and a few weeks later a rather large parcel appeared on my doorstep. As is common with these large scale vacforms you are provided with the basics... the fuselage outline, wings, tail and some engine nacelles. Transparencies are provided, but that's about it. As Tigger says on his website - they're a blank canvass for the modeller to work their magic'. As usual, I plan to scratch-build the interior, bomb bays, undercarriage and scribe all surface detail on to the model.

This Stirling is rather large in 1/32nd scale - here's the fuselage halves with a tape measure set at 3 feet:

S1030067_zps9e0b4fbf.jpg

Two large sheets provide the wing and stabiliser upper surfaces, some oil coolers and tail wheel halves:

S1030063_zpsd966faff.jpg

Another two sheets give some engine nacelles, fin halves, wing land stabiliser lower surfaces:

S1030061_zps90ed49b5.jpg

A set of transparencies is provided:

S1030070_zpsfa7419db.jpg

Fellow builders often ask me the size of these models - here's a 1/72nd Lancaster with one of the wings:

S1030071_zpsad2a4e1e.jpg

I've got a set of plans ready to be enlarged to 1/32nd scale, a Warpaint issue on the Stirling, and a box full of spare Revell Beaufighter props and engines to help with some of the detailing:

S1030076_zps0da7d309.jpg

The plan at this stage is to build this as a MkIV glider tug with full invasion stripes, but I'm yet to settle on a particular aircraft.

Although I've done a fair bit or research, detailed plans of the landing gear, undercarriage bays, bomb bays and in particular the area where the front turret was are hard to come by. If anyone can point me in the right direction to find information on these areas I'd be very grateful.

I have the new Italeri 1/72nd scale kit to guide me on the interior details, but again if anyone can point me in the direction of some decent photo's, particularly of a MkIV interior, it'd be very useful. I plan to have the rear door open and want to detail at least part of the rear fuselage if possible.

As with the Lanc and Halifax, I reckon on this project taking about a year to complete, so you may have to bear with me on this one!

Let the fun begin!

Tom

• Like 5

Tom,

Looking forward to see this project evolve. If you need any information give me a shout. The museum George and I work for as volunteers has been investigating a Stirling wreck and we have found a lot of items from the cockpit.

There is an ID Models Stirling on e-bay at the moment and I am seriously tempted.

Cheers

Cees

Tom,

Looking forward to see this project evolve. If you need any information give me a shout. The museum George and I work for as volunteers has been investigating a Stirling wreck and we have found a lot of items from the cockpit.

There is an ID Models Stirling on e-bay at the moment and I am seriously tempted.

Cheers

Cees

Thanks Cees - will keep your offer in mind.

You know you should treat yourself to the Stirling - then we can build them together and share the nightmare!

Tom

• Like 1

Thanks for the interest folks... I'm amazed at the interest these vac kits generate!

I've made the smallest of starts this evening and have made myself some templates from thick plastic card for the large panels on the wing upper surface which actually cover the fuel tanks. I like to do the majority of scribing whilst the parts are still on the backing sheet as this way they flex less and are generally easier to handle.

Once I've used the templates to do the scribing of these panels on the left wing, it'll simply be a case of flipping them over and using them on the right wing. 

IMG_2838_zps07298dcb.jpg

The next job will be to get scribing... should keep me quiet for an hour or two...

Tom

• Like 1

Tom,

Very interested if you decide to drop the flaps or not. Will take a huge chunk out of the bottom wing halves.

But it would look great. If you need pics of the construction just give me a shout.

Cheers

Cees

The more I think about it Cees the more I think I'd like to do it. Although not often deployed on the ground, it would make for a visually interesting wing. Any images or info would be appreciated.

Great project, Tom! As others said: I'll follow your suffering progress with interest! And indeed, a long fuselage, good that the Brits decided on those "clipped" wings during it's development, what?

Cheers,

Erik.

Something to do with being able to fit in a standard British hangar of the time... it seriously limited its ceiling but made it very agile... in one article I read recently a pilot boasted about out-turning a Hurricane in fighter evasion practise. Whether it's true or not is not for me to decide, but it wouldn't surprise me!

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

There's been a lack of progress on this build unfortunately due a bout of pneumonia - vacform sanding dust and lung infections don't mix too well so I had avoided any sanding etc. 

However, I'm now back to full health and I've finally made a start on the big Stirling project and have got as far as scribing the upper left wing, removing it from the backing sheet, and call me a madman, but I've decided to open up one of the fuel tank covers on the upper surface to add some interior details. I've got some really good, detailed images of the inner wing structure, so I thought 'why not?'

I've also removed the flap as I plan to have these deployed.

Not the most interesting of pictures, but I've added a few to prove work has begun. You can just see my scribed details to the right of the outboard nacelle - better lighting is needed to really show the detail off:

S1030107_zps0bf730e1.jpg

S1030109_zps43f92de5.jpg

S1030111_zps393f7b3e.jpg

A size reality check - yes that is a 1/48th Lancaster I'm also working on!

S1030112_zps9c5b71fd.jpg

Work will now continue on the right wing, so until next time,

Tom

• Like 1

Ok Tom,

Will do that tonight then, I was working on the RB seatbelts for the Typhoon yesterday evening and took quite some time.

Cheers

Update

I found some drawings for the tanks and flaps. But my ipad has been updated and now the photobucket app refuses to work. Did I mention that I really hate computers?

Cees

Has something been changed in photobucket? It doesn't work (even when tried at work)  I can never understand why good working apps have to be changed (for the worse).

Cannot seem to post anymore pics.

Pity.

Cees