The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1:24 Hawker Typhoon Mk.1b

• Administrators

Hi gang,

Sorry I've been pretty quiet recently, but Airfix asked me to build one of the Typhoon Über kits for display on their stand at Scale Model World, Telford. This kit is magnificent, but no 2 week project. I rushed this one to get it built in time, and it still took 7 weeks, which is is only a couple of weeks short of what it would take me to do two magazine projects.

Airfix have commissioned four modellers to build the four schemes available in the kit. Everything here is OOB (through necessity) except for Airscale cockpit decals and masks which were used for the tail chequer band. I found the kit decal colours to be muddy and wrong.

I still need to add fuses to the rockets and also more weathering to the wheels, but it's almost there. I'm not going to beat myself up over a rush build, and I know I could have improved many areas.

Hope you like it.

DSC_0856.jpg

DSC_0857.jpg

DSC_0858.jpg

DSC_0859.jpg

DSC_0860.jpg

DSC_0862.jpg

DSC_0863.jpg

DSC_0864.jpg

DSC_0865.jpg

DSC_0866.jpg

• Like 7

What a splendid model. It's the first time I've seen the interior of the sharkmouth done in blue as it's usually depicted in red or camo. Do you have a reference for that, or is it artistic licence. I am halfway through building the same aircraft in 1/48, so any thoughts would be useful.

• Administrators

What a splendid model. It's the first time I've seen the interior of the sharkmouth done in blue as it's usually depicted in red or camo. Do you have a reference for that, or is it artistic licence. I am halfway through building the same aircraft in 1/48, so any thoughts would be useful.

The real beauty of this is that the only definite stage of the shark mouth application is that it originally had a camo infill. 

After that, it's been widely presumed it was filled in with red, but that isn't certain. No one knows. Interpretation of the the b/w photos with new technology doesn't absolutely prove it was red or otherwise.

The colour of blue use on the interior wheel doors, spinner, radiator and chequer band does look very similar to the infill on some images. It's very possible or even probable, that they continued the same theme to the mouth. 

The beauty is....no one knows. It could have been the 'red' that was artistic licence  ;)

• Like 1

• Administrators

Excellent clean build! Very nice!

You will add a pin wash on the rivets..?

Hi Layton, no the model is finished now. Highlighting the rivets would make it look so false I think. I purposely kept away from that in 1:24.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm more than sure you will do a great job of yours Chris. I hope you'll share your build with us here.

NOW.....how is the progress of the new Victory?

Cheers - it is a completely different medium, compared to what I'm used to (still have a Tamiya 32nd Spit, Mustang and Airfix Mosquito waiting to be built!) I also want to build that new Tamiya Yamato with PE parts one day, on a sea base...

Victory is going well - I have about another two months work for instructions, manual and plans. I hope it will be released later next year..

• Like 1