The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 Revell Fw 190F-8 Sprue Shots

Mikester

Yes Mike...

Did you notice the cowl option for the MG 131 delete with the fairings?  Nice touch for doing a Sturmbock.

But unfortunately, Revell seem to have moulded the underwing cannon bulges for the MG151 into the wing. Which means they will need to be removed for the F-8 version, and modified at least to accurately represent the MK108 shape of the A-8/R2 Sturmbock wings.

From my perspective, I would rather have interchangable parts such as the Hasegawa kit has for these wing panels, rather than niceties like separate ailerons and cowl gun inserts that are easier for the modeller to add should they so desire.

S

• Like 1

• Members

Yes Mike...

But unfortunately, Revell seem to have moulded the underwing cannon bulges for the MG151 into the wing. Which means they will need to be removed for the F-8 version, and modified at least to accurately represent the MK108 shape of the A-8/R2 Sturmbock wings.

From my perspective, I would rather have interchangable parts such as the Hasegawa kit has for these wing panels, rather than niceties like separate ailerons and cowl gun inserts that are easier for the modeller to add should they so desire.

S

Steve, my German is a little rusty but it appeared in one of the pics that they alluded to the fact the wings had mold inserts so there's a good possibility that other variants may follow.  I'm not a huge fan of the Hasegawa lower wing inserts, I find them kind of a pain to blend in with the rest of the wing.  I liked what Eduard did with their Emil giving us a separate lower wing for the E-1 and the E-3/4/7.  If Revell does this with follow on variants I'd be good with that.

• Like 2

And it appears from sprue shots posted elsewhere today that Revell are indeed giving us separate wings wings with the flat panels for the dedicated F-8 variant, which is a far better option than alluded to in the initial promotional photos.

Price however remains a sticking point in my (and for a little while still your) part of the world. I estimate that this kit will be around the $70- $75 Au mark when we see it here, taking into consideration that the Hasegawa competitor can still be had for $35 plus shipping on sites like Noppin for instance.

S

• Like 1

• Members

And it appears from sprue shots posted elsewhere today that Revell are indeed giving us separate wings wings with the flat panels for the dedicated F-8 variant, which is a far better option than alluded to in the initial promotional photos.

Price however remains a sticking point in my (and for a little while still your) part of the world. I estimate that this kit will be around the $70- $75 Au mark when we see it here, taking into consideration that the Hasegawa competitor can still be had for $35 plus shipping on sites like Noppin for instance.

S

Indeed!  I'm fortunate enough to have US zip code here in Japan that I can have items sent to from the at US postal rates so I get the best of both worlds. With the US dollars strength in relation to the yen right now Tamiya and Hasegawa kits are really competitively priced, the Hasegawa 190s and 109s can be had from the low $20's US!  Makes it hard to justify that Revell 109G-6 considering they both need some after-market to get up to speed and the Hasegawa kits wins hands down in terms of ease of construction.

• Like 3

The most important thing I take from these sprue shots, is that Revell seem to be thinking more and more about the modeller.

Their Bf109G-6 was a bit of a mixed bag, lots of detail but some challenging assembly issues and puzzling decisions. The Erla kit seemed an improvement on all counts. The inclusion of an engine with this Wurger kit is a bold step, and overall it looks to be a kit developed more from a modeller's perspective. Which can't be a bad thing in the long run.

S

• Like 2

S

Hi Steve :) ... all the best for the season btw!

Whenever a new Revell kit comes out that I fancy ... I generally grab it from a UK supplier, along with a few AM items that I'm chasing (to spread the shipping cost, which is not all that bad via Royal Mail compared to other parts of Europe, USA and Canada) ... VAT tax is also removed (outside EU) which makes the kits even cheaper!! I grabbed my Heinkels, JU88's, 109's and Spitfire that way.

Even though the AUD exchange is rather bad atm ... I usually come out in front to the tune of between 15-25% cheaper than Aus' retail all things considered. Still maybe more expensive than a Hasegawa bought ex Japan or Hong Kong, but the sting is way less! ...

Jury's still out on whether I'll bother with this one though ... since I'm hungry for the ZM offerings next year!! :D

Rog :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

ZM will really have to go to town on this one.

Why?

Because we know Eduard, or almost any other AM company touches the ZM kits.

Revell kits however get the full treatment. Since I think the ZM detail could be sharper in a lot of places, Id opt for the Revell 190 and get my hands on a Big Ed as soon as I can.

• Like 2

• Administrators

ZM will really have to go to town on this one.

Why?

Because we know Eduard, or almost any other AM company touches the ZM kits.

Revell kits however get the full treatment. Since I think the ZM detail could be sharper in a lot of places, Id opt for the Revell 190 and get my hands on a Big Ed as soon as I can.

Can't argue with that!

• Like 2

Hi Rog,

Sorry I missed your earlier post, hope your Christmas break was a good one.

Hi Steve :) ... all the best for the season btw!

Whenever a new Revell kit comes out that I fancy ... I generally grab it from a UK supplier, along with a few AM items that I'm chasing (to spread the shipping cost, which is not all that bad via Royal Mail compared to other parts of Europe, USA and Canada) ... VAT tax is also removed (outside EU) which makes the kits even cheaper!! I grabbed my Heinkels, JU88's, 109's and Spitfire that way.

When the Revell Bf109G-6 first came out, I attempted to source a couple from a UK supplier. However, the £60 postage charge (the equivalent of $100 Au at that time) that they wanted to charge , plus the subsequent issues revealed from reviews of the kit, soon put paid to that notion.

Mike... The F-8 kit looks good built up. Really like that pinched canopy. But still some niggles... Main gear is too long, easily addressed by adjusting at the oleos, but the noticeably forward rake of the main gear may be a harder fix. Hopefully the gun cowl and fan blade errors will be addressed as mentioned elsewhere by Andreas Beck, hard to tell as there are no clear shots featured here. Main wheel bays are much less detailed that their Hasegawa equivalents - in fact, The Hasegawa bays may fit the Revell kit and if so will, like the Bf109G-6 gun cowl issues before it, be yet another example of Revell failing to represent features that the competition got right a decade ago.

So, a mixed bag from my POV...

S

• Like 2

Rog, you Goose...

You were one of those kids up the back of the class, that giggled uncontrollably whenever the Teacher said "Focke", weren't you?

S :rolleyes:

Got me :D ...

I just imagined a social worker saying: "Show us on the Fw190 model here, where Eduard touched you" lol

Hi Rog,

Sorry I missed your earlier post, hope your Christmas break was a good one.

When the Revell Bf109G-6 first came out, I attempted to source a couple from a UK supplier. However, the £60 postage charge (the equivalent of $100 Au at that time) that they wanted to charge , plus the subsequent issues revealed from reviews of the kit, soon put paid to that notion ...

Christmas Day was my break - the joys of the Mine-Spec working environment and shift rosters.

Back on topic ...

Well ... The only time I paid large amounts of GBP for postage was when I grabbed my Ju88A-4 ... and that was only because I grabbed about 4 more kits at the same time and it was sent via courier ... From memory that cost was about the 42.00 GBP mark - close to double the norm!! ... So given that sort of cost - I'd say you were fairly ripped!! ... I'll PM you a link ;)

I think people are slowly getting the idea now, that RoG are just a name ... a shell of the company that brought us the Ju-88, He-111 and the Arado-196. They are owned and, effectively, managed from the other side of the world now - Financial reasons, being the determining factor behind what is released and how - the passion for what is created is missing (Spewing!! - since they didn't get a Do17z to market before the takeover!) ... Recent releases, while still very price competitive, haven't been anywhere near the old RoG standard of accuracy. Every kit out there has flaws ... but for me, the types of errors being made are weird ... and as you correctly point out - they are errors that other companies have avoided by using a little research and attention to detail, many moons ago! ...

If the adjustments aren't made soon, we'll be finding a bunch of suits sitting around the boardroom table, later on, asking themselves why their business plan was not as successful as they'd imagined it would be - with no clear answers because they've ignored market feedback ... Very much unlike the new breed - HK Models, Zoukei-Mura and HpH (and to a lesser degree - Dragon / Cyber Hobby) who are constantly engaging their market - Passionate about what they do, looking for input from those who know what they are talking about within the modelling community and wanting to grow ever better - to get it right!

Having said all of that ... The latest Fw190 offering from RoG looks like a decent attempt has been made, there are heaps of details not around on other releases - and the price point will be attractive ... It's just that, given what we have had released in the recent past, I'm content to hold off until I see what ZM's offering is like in comparison ... Dollars not being a major issue for me! ...

I'm sure the Revell kit will sell well ...

Peter,

From memory the Revell Fw190F-8 is due out in March this year, so not long to wait now.

Is there an estimated release date yet ?

Rog,

I don't thinks it's as bad as it seems with Revell. The types of errors showing up are silly but not terminal enough for any of the subjects to be rejected by the majority of the market... like the problem of the angle of the engine nacelles and wings on the 1/32nd scale He219; they measured the individual parts well enough but the AOA is wrong because the wings weren't on the NASM machine at the time. Similarly with the Bf109G-6 kit... Revell measured the Speyer Museum Messerschmitt, but it's a G-4 made from spare pressurised airframes which accounts for the gun cowl errors and misplaced cockpit fresh-air vents on the kit that the measured subject lacks altogether. These little things annoy perhaps 1-2% of modellers, but not enough for the majority. And for many, the low price point (in most markets) is the clincher. So perhaps not a shell of a Company, but I do think the passion is a factor.

These latest Revell kits are designed well, and packed with lots of features and detail. But they're designed by people who are Designers first and foremost, and Modellers a distant second if at all. People with a passion for design, not aircraft. People who don't know what a CWSD hatch is on a Bf109G-10, so of course wouldn't know that you shouldn't run a seam through the middle of one. People who ignore knowledgeable others who tell them repeatedly that the bulges on the Bf109G-6 are way too small, because the design they've produced is sound, and after all they're the designer after all so they know best. And then there's the price point again...

I too am waiting to see what Zoukei-Mura can do with their version of the Butcher Bird...

S

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry Mike,

Should have said "Interpretation", rather than "Version".

And it will probably take as long as necessary to reach their standard of accuracy, even if that means the Old man gets a little older (along with the rest of us of course).

S

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Looking forward to seeing this kit. A few niggley mistakes but pretty good overall based on the sprues.I will let the experts and aftermarket people decide what is important to correct.

hope to see a few options provided by the aftermarket people that we have not seen for the FW-190F.  I can only hope someone will produce a ETC 501/ER 4 option to allow a full compliment of bombs. Also like to see some markings currently not produced by the decal/mask people. It would also be nice to have air to ground rockets like the Panzer Schreck and any other rockets used by the FW-910F-8. We can only hope.3e0cc815-33fc-4a91-92d1-463caa861c5a.jpgFw190F8_SG4_Blue8_1.png