The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Revell 1:32 Bf109 G-10

Hello,

This is my first 1:32 scale model. Up to now I've always built 1:72 or 1:48 aircraft - I was always put off the bigger scales by cost/space/skill etc. I recently took the plunge and bought the Revell kit figuring that it was a relatively easy to build model at a great price. 

I've been working slowly on this model since the beginning of December and below is a summary of my progress to date.

I've bought a few aftermarket bits including decals and my intention is to build 'black 22' [or should that be 'blue 22'?] from the BarracudaCals 'Erla Bf109 G-10's part 1' set.

I also bought some Eduard PE seat belts but, after thinking about it, decided to make my own belts and just use the buckles from the set to try and make them look a little less flat.

3_zps0be4a20b.jpg

The cockpit was base coated in black then oversprayed mid grey to try and get a subtle shading effect. The IP has been decalled with a combination of Revell and Airscale decals and a drop of Klear for the lenses. Typically I snapped the fuel line when removing it from the sprue so it's been patched back together [luckily the join is barely visible once the cockpit has been installed].

7_zps6860a9d2.jpg

5_zps9a3be430.jpg

Having tried to drill out the exhausts, I decided that life was too short and used the Barracuda resin replacements instead - well worth it for the hollowed ends alone.

11_zps95da05ee.jpg

12_zps22630032.jpg

The wings were a pain to asemble and there were several sink marks in the wheel bulges that proved difficult to fill [i'm sure a primer coat will show that there's more filling to be done]. Here's where I'm up to - the wings have been fitted to the fuselage but there's a fair bit of filling required at the wing root.

18_zps9440b054.jpg

Thanks for looking, any comments or adviced gratefully received!

Matt

• Like 2

Nice start.

I also started out with 1/72 and 1/48 models until i tried a 1/32 me109. Never built anything under 1/32 ever since....

Jeroen - I can see this happening to me...!

Some further progress - the airframe has been assembled, I'll be adding the flaps etc later to minimise the potential for damage.

19_zps9036bb17.jpg

The upper cowl section required a bit of filling and sanding to get a decent fit. I've also added the replacement intake from Barracuda.

22_zps4824b3e0.jpg

23_zpsc4b78021.jpg

Can anyone advise me if the G-10 should have the small rod/pipe [or whatever it is] in the centre of the intake? This photo also highlights my dodgy painting [i.e the missed bits that I only noticed after looking at the pic myself!]

20_zps672bde8f.jpg

Thanks

Matt

• Like 2

• Members

Matt,

AFAIK the oil cooler should have the actuator rod in front, hard to tell of it's present in this pic though.  Also, you may be already addressing this but that seam where the upper cowl is attached should be filled and blended, there was no natural panel line there.  Looking really good so far!

Bf_109_G-10_nr_3_utv_12_zps7f0e33a9.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good Matt. The answer to your question re the rod in the center of the oil cooler fairing is here:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/1999/10/stuff_eng_detail_bf109g10_fuselage.htm

4th picture down. It was a feature on all 109s from the F on but appears to be missing in some photos.

Other interesting and perhaps helpful G-10 pix.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The shelf of shame....???. I have a project in a similar state Matt - I totally buggered up my Trumpy Skyraider, resurrected it as best I could with liberal doses of superglue and coarse language, and started to paint...then left it.Period.

You know what my problem was...??? I had become too worried about what others thought of the thing. When I realized that....(oh bugger, it's still sitting there...) anyway Matt, pull that great 109 down off the 'shelf of shame' 'cause there is nothing wrong with it mate, and jump back in......really!!!

Happy new year!!

• Like 1

One of the excuses I keep using for keeping this on the shelf is I "lost" one of the wingtip lights and a few of the other clear bits were damaged in the box. Took the plunge today and contacted Revell for replacements.

Time will tell if they arrive but if they do, it'll be one less excuse!

• Members

One of the excuses I keep using for keeping this on the shelf is I "lost" one of the wingtip lights and a few of the other clear bits were damaged in the box. Took the plunge today and contacted Revell for replacements.

Time will tell if they arrive but if they do, it'll be one less excuse!

Revell has always been real good about providing me with replacement parts, good luck!